Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4WD trans swap who has done it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 05:57 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maddboost
Im looking at putting a new converter in my truck and figured since the stock trans has 45,000 miles on it I might as well swap in a new FLT Level 5. Who has done this swap without using a lift? Is it pretty straight forward? I already have purchased a floor transmission jack so it shouldnt be too difficult.
Did I hear kegger/trans swap party professor? Let me know if you need any specialty tools. Maybe Bish has floor model lift we can use. Vince
Old 03-10-2008, 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Crap sounds easier just to wrestle the tcase on to the trans
It is but at least the damn thing doesn't leak now.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KySilverado
It is but at least the damn thing doesn't leak now.
Well then I guess it wasnt a lost cause
Old 03-10-2008, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you couldn't get enough clearance to get the transmission/t-case under there with it already tied down to the jack? Or were you doing it without a tranny jack?

I've had the torsion bars out before - that part's not too bad.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jknox
So you couldn't get enough clearance to get the transmission/t-case under there with it already tied down to the jack? Or were you doing it without a tranny jack?

I've had the torsion bars out before - that part's not too bad.
No transmission jack. 2 standard floor jacks and a 2X4. Not for the feint of heart.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

attaching the transfer case with the trans in the truck is a PITA, I think it's easier to just get the truck high enough to get the transfer case up and over the torsion bar crossmember, then slide the trans jack under the trans and work it up there.... either way, it's not fun and not something you want to do by yourself. Luckily the last time on Matt's truck it was just a torque converter swap so we didn't have to completely remove the entire transmission we were able to scoot it back and jack the truck high enough to get the clearance needed.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
Did I hear kegger/trans swap party professor? Let me know if you need any specialty tools. Maybe Bish has floor model lift we can use. Vince
Convince Chuck to let us do it in the shop and we can call it market research.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
I heard that. NEVER again my friend
Old 03-11-2008, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nick™
attaching the transfer case with the trans in the truck is a PITA, I think it's easier to just get the truck high enough to get the transfer case up and over the torsion bar crossmember, then slide the trans jack under the trans and work it up there.... either way, it's not fun and not something you want to do by yourself. Luckily the last time on Matt's truck it was just a torque converter swap so we didn't have to completely remove the entire transmission we were able to scoot it back and jack the truck high enough to get the clearance needed.
thats the way i did it - i seems like PITA now, but really that is the only way to do it with the lease amount of work. Removing the torsion bars and the crossmember consist of to much work in my book. Although it is not easy getting the t-case out from above that crossmember....i have a trans jack to so it was a lot easier getting the trans out
Old 04-20-2008, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

You've already figured out the most important part. Go with FLT.
Did mine by myself a couple times last year (thanks to PerformaBuilt ) and looks like maybe soon again.
A transmission jack would have been a huge help and probably wouldn't do it again without one. I had the front of the truck on Rhino ramps and the back on jack stands. Not the funnest thing in the world, but very doable and fairly straight forward. Make sure you label the electrical connections when you unplug them. I think it was on the transfer case where there were a few that could plug into each other and get mixed up.
Good luck!

Quick Reply: 4WD trans swap who has done it?