Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4WD Launch - Weight Transfer

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 4WD Launch - Weight Transfer

Hey Guys,
In my trips to the track I've gotten several pictures of my truck launching. It transfers most of the weight to the rear, lifting the font end up to the end of its suspension travel. I'm making enough power now that its cool to actually start spinning the front wheels briefly when it lifts the front. This would probably be perfect suspension travel for a 2wd truck but now I'm thinking I should keep the front down to keep weight on the front for better traction.

Has anybody worked on a 4WD suspension to keep the weight transfer down. Guess I'm looking for something simple to do at the track and take off. I'm thinking new shocks will go a long way. I've read and lived the stock shocks. They are way soft. Thinking some Bilsteins or Edlebrock IAS might help? How about strapping down the front suspension somehow? Limiting rears suspension travel somehow?

Here is a link with pix to show a full power launch:
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=348433

TIA for any input.

Last edited by KySilverado; 11-27-2005 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Added Link
Old 11-27-2005, 10:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you done anything to the rear suspension to generate lift thereby counteracting all that squat back there? If you install a rear supsension traction device that uses axle torque to push up on the truck you'll load the rear tires a lot harder and then you'll either level out or need some more power to unload the front again. If you can get traction bars for that truck they would work. I'm planning on building a lift arm for mine, something like this: http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ntiwrapbar.htm

Vernon
Old 11-27-2005, 10:38 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you are on the right track, Parish talked about his suspention set up on his website, seam like he did very little to it. Shocks, remove the blocks, and lower the front ride hight. you might what to check there.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:08 PM
11 Second Truck Club

spring clamps will also stiffen up the rear
Old 11-27-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic
Have you done anything to the rear suspension to generate lift thereby counteracting all that squat back there? If you install a rear supsension traction device that uses axle torque to push up on the truck you'll load the rear tires a lot harder and then you'll either level out or need some more power to unload the front again. If you can get traction bars for that truck they would work. I'm planning on building a lift arm for mine, something like this: http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ntiwrapbar.htm

Vernon
Nothing done to the suspension aside from a 2 inch lowering shackle. Do traction bars limit payload carrying or affect ride any?
Old 11-27-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
I think you are on the right track, Parish talked about his suspention set up on his website, seam like he did very little to it. Shocks, remove the blocks, and lower the front ride hight. you might what to check there.
Been awhile but I remember seeing Parish's setup on his site. I've also seen several video's of his launchs. Truck doesn't seem to squat to much at all. Wonder if the shorter wheel base he has does anything different?
Old 11-27-2005, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bluecajun5.3
spring clamps will also stiffen up the rear
Yeah, Think I'm gonna go with shocks first then some clamps.

BTW I love your sig picture. That is a sweet track shot.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

If you really concerned about those things this product may be a good choice for you. They really improve a leaf spring suspension ride, handling, cornering. They're not lift devices but they prevent squat by preventing spring wrap when drag racing. I've talked to a couple of guys that have them and they said that it works better than they expected. http://www.activesuspension.com/how05.htm
The price isn't bad either, less than $200 from Summit.

Some of the off road companys make traction bars that work just as well at the strip as they do climbing hills. Check Rancho.

Somebody mentioned Caltracs in a post today for the 2WD. I don't know if they would work on the K1500 but it's worth a look. Check that post out for the link.

Vernon
Old 11-27-2005, 08:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first thing Id do is lower the front all the way with the torsion bars, then put spring clamps on the back. That should fix any problems you have with the front wheels not getting traction.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:49 PM
Teching In

Get an adjustable shock up front and set it to stiff. Your problem here is what a 2wd would love and that is shock travel. I used a 70/30 adjustable shock up front and set it to allow full extension of shock. This is something you dont want it to do. Also a stiffer sway bar up front will hender lift.

That and the redneck way would be to add tractor weights to the front bumper! (hey I'm from Iowa, they do a lot of tractor pulls around here.)

Quick Reply: 4WD Launch - Weight Transfer