Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4L80e slipping after HD2 install

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 11:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The HD2 kit does come with the washer. Not sure if it's any different than the stock one, but it does look the same. If you need one I can send you the extra. But I seriously think you can find something that will work at the hardware store, or if it's close then take a grinder to it and make it work.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:50 AM
Fastest D1 Procharged Truck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i ended up giving him mine outta my 80E pat said he'd give rob another one to give me

robs outta town till fri so i dont know how he made out
Old 10-17-2013, 05:32 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

I never said ****, I told rob I would try to find him one but have not as of yet.... Wtf lol
Old 10-17-2013, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

I offered to mail one to his door for free and he wouldn't even reply.....lol
Old 10-17-2013, 06:49 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Sorry guys I just had a minute to check in here. I've been tied up and out of town with work.

Silverado6.2 I may have to take you up on that deal lol. I'm sending you a PM now.

Pat and I had been talking and he thought he may be able to find one.

Alright so here's the update. I got the washer from Kurt as he mentioned. I installed it late tuesday night and the tranny now won't engage any gears. Clearly I messed something up. I will hopefully have time to tear it down again tomorow night and take a look at what I did this time haha.

Sorry for the confusion about all this stuff surrounding the washer.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:39 AM

Yet another update, and more bad news.

Apparently the retaining clip at the bottom of the bushing wasn't set and the whole assembly came shooting out lol. Everything was there and it was far from a problem. I was actually psyched to have found that. The problem arose when I was trying to pop everything back in. The regulator valve wasn't in far enough, I couldn't push the boost valve/bushing with the washer and spring in far enough. I decided to pull the regulator valve out after making a few phone calls. I looked into the bore and saw the pin on the opposite end, and also that the end cap had come loose and was halfway into the bore, and halfway out of the bore and making its way into one of the release ports for lack of a better term. I tried to retrieve it but I couldn't. It fell forward (toward the engine) into what I believe is somewhere in the pump. From what I can tell it was resting about a centimeter or so from the pin itself. Does anyone know if I'll be able to find it with the tranny in the truck or am I completely boned at this point? Even just trying to make sense of the veins within the pump and where it could have gone are hard for me. It sounded like it barely fell, but I definitely heard it fall. As though it fell a cm maybe.

You can see the end plug I'm figure 3 on his page
http://www.sonnax.com/system/instruc...80E-LB1-IN.pdf

I'm trying to make sense of where exact legit fell/ which part it was pushed into to help me find it.
http://helpwrench.com/forums/showthr...ctures-1/page4

Last edited by Vortec350ss; 10-19-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
Sorry guys I just had a minute to check in here. I've been tied up and out of town with work.

Silverado6.2 I may have to take you up on that deal lol. I'm sending you a PM now.

Pat and I had been talking and he thought he may be able to find one.

Alright so here's the update. I got the washer from Kurt as he mentioned. I installed it late tuesday night and the tranny now won't engage any gears. Clearly I messed something up. I will hopefully have time to tear it down again tomorow night and take a look at what I did this time haha.

Sorry for the confusion about all this stuff surrounding the washer.
So you found the correct washer?
Old 10-20-2013, 12:38 PM

I got one from Kurt, but I need to replace his now. I owe him a washer.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:37 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
Yet another update, and more bad news.

Apparently the retaining clip at the bottom of the bushing wasn't set and the whole assembly came shooting out lol. Everything was there and it was far from a problem. I was actually psyched to have found that. The problem arose when I was trying to pop everything back in. The regulator valve wasn't in far enough, I couldn't push the boost valve/bushing with the washer and spring in far enough. I decided to pull the regulator valve out after making a few phone calls. I looked into the bore and saw the pin on the opposite end, and also that the end cap had come loose and was halfway into the bore, and halfway out of the bore and making its way into one of the release ports for lack of a better term. I tried to retrieve it but I couldn't. It fell forward (toward the engine) into what I believe is somewhere in the pump. From what I can tell it was resting about a centimeter or so from the pin itself. Does anyone know if I'll be able to find it with the tranny in the truck or am I completely boned at this point? Even just trying to make sense of the veins within the pump and where it could have gone are hard for me. It sounded like it barely fell, but I definitely heard it fall. As though it fell a cm maybe.

You can see the end plug I'm figure 3 on his page
http://www.sonnax.com/system/instruc...80E-LB1-IN.pdf

I'm trying to make sense of where exact legit fell/ which part it was pushed into to help me find it.
GM 4L80E 4L80-E Transmission rebuild guide & pictures #1 - Page 4

Rob,

At this point you need to pull the trans out and remove the pump.

Chuck/FLT
Old 10-21-2013, 09:20 AM

Talk about learning the hard way, huh chuck?

I have committed to pulling the tranny out of the truck on the garage floor... now I just need to know how to remove the front of the pump to find this damn end cap. Is that going to be a huge pain in the nuts too, or is it as simple as removing a few bolts?

Quick Reply: 4L80e slipping after HD2 install