Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l80e noise, does it ever end? (Good things happen to good people)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 12:27 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nevada79
I'm no expert but I would have to say the rear mount turbo...Time to switch to a front mount.

Sorry about the trans but glad you found the problem.
You should be glad my turbo is in the back, it will be closer to you that way..

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Somewhere in my readings I remember an oiling issue in the planetaries but I believe it was someone not recommending going to a 5 gear because of it.

Yea, if you upgrade to the 5 pinion there is a holl slew of parts that need to be updated, NOBODY clams the strait cut are necessary.. the old four pinons have been proven to hold 7 sec cars.....

Parts should be ordered today, I'll be updating the rear planetary group as well as the overdrive group to the 02 version......
Old 03-28-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since I know you are an expert parts tester I know you will do a good rebuild.
Can I sign up for a Wilde Racing level 5 4L80E?
Old 04-02-2008, 08:33 PM

Default I got parts!!!

Well I just got all my parts, I desided to upgrade the overrun clutch in the overdrive plant group. I also got a complete rebuild kit as well as a transgo shift kit and tcc valve mod.....

Here is the overrun upgrade........
Old parts on the left....

Old 04-02-2008, 09:13 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you purchase a new OD planetary for that late setup you got there? If not you will need one. When the roller changed so did the planet and the over run drum. I personally like the early setup better than the late design. I believe that larger rollers are stronger. Vince
Old 04-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

hopefully it wasnt too expensive to fix...better than buying a whole brand new tranny...
Old 04-02-2008, 09:50 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Wow, what is all that stuff?

lol, at least you are blessed with mechanical skills.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
Did you purchase a new OD planetary for that late setup you got there? If not you will need one. When the roller changed so did the planet and the over run drum. I personally like the early setup better than the late design. I believe that larger rollers are stronger. Vince
Thank You Sir
Old 04-03-2008, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT

I was wondering if anyone would catch that... yes I do have the newer style planet... First I've heard of the earlier being stronger. Everything I've read said the earlier were more **** to fail.. Damn. lol

on a side note

I just got a P.M from Vince @ FLT letting me know the sun gear I got is wrong...... FLT's NON-customer support is by far the BEST!
Old 04-03-2008, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine was on the verge of failure too...had it taken down as all the fluid was burnt up and it was shifting like crap...found loose and missing bolts, broken sunsheel flange..etc...good times! Anyhow...thank ur stars u have time and aptitude to do it urself, cause its not cheap to have someone else do it! Even my Vig 2600TC was toast!
Old 04-04-2008, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by dhpro
mine was on the verge of failure too...had it taken down as all the fluid was burnt up and it was shifting like crap...found loose and missing bolts, broken sunsheel flange..etc...good times! Anyhow...thank ur stars u have time and aptitude to do it urself, cause its not cheap to have someone else do it! Even my Vig 2600TC was toast!

Sounds like a crappy deal....
I don't have the aptitude for auto trans rebuilds, but I have had some practice with other styles of transsmisions. I like challanges, and a bonus of saving money...

Quick Reply: 4l80e noise, does it ever end? (Good things happen to good people)