Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l80e 2nd gear limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

well swapped in the new TPS and still no fix. I even unhooked battery for over thirty mins to reset pcm. Still nothing. Any other ideas?!

Figured i would leave battery unhooked over night to give that a try.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:50 AM
TECH Resident

what else could it be?
Old 08-31-2012, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

well this thing has about whipped me. I cant seem to figure it out for nothing. Thinking about bitting the bullet and getting one of jakes stage 3 4l80e. Talked to him this afternoon. Pretty good guy, was willing to help in any way he could.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

What codes are you getting now???

You didn't mention what you did to the wiring or the tune for the 4L80E to work correctly.

Simply Buying another transmission isn't going to fix your problem. If your buddy has a snap on scanner and knows how to use it properly you should be able to check every solenoid and the wiring to verify it is working correctly.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:53 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

What size and type of converter do you have?
Old 09-02-2012, 01:00 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
What codes are you getting now???

You didn't mention what you did to the wiring or the tune for the 4L80E to work correctly.

Simply Buying another transmission isn't going to fix your problem. If your buddy has a snap on scanner and knows how to use it properly you should be able to check every solenoid and the wiring to verify it is working correctly.
I have not takin it back to check codes been busy. My buddy just got this thing not to long ago, so i guess hes still learning. Besides he helping without charging me. Hard to pass with no other equipment around. My tune is through nelson and he performed a segment swap. I installed extra speed sensor, wired to PCM and changed main trans plug wiring via the sticky. Moved brown to white pin. But i actually had this backwards some how and that was my problem with the TCC code. I ran the trans for over a year with the wiring like this. But its mainly a weekend toy. I never had lockup and now i know why. I fixed this two days ago along with the tps sensor. Even with trans in limp mode and two codes i never once had a ses light. Seemed kinda weird. Could the tcc wiring not being hooked up effect the converter or anything? all i noticed was i didnt have lockup and she drank gas like crazy.

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
What size and type of converter do you have?

I run a FTI 3800 built for my setup. Its a hybrid 3 bolt converter.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:07 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Not having the TCC lock up will affect your gas mileage while cruising.

I am not sure what effect it would have on the converter. Possibly premature wear...
Old 09-02-2012, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

i spoke with a gm tech and he mentioned that maybe the plunger inside the valve bodie, where the shift solenoids are could be broke. Said the shift soleniods them selves could be good hince the reason the pcm is not picking up on them being bad. Is this plausible?
Old 09-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by brandon6.0
i spoke with a gm tech and he mentioned that maybe the plunger inside the valve bodie, where the shift solenoids are could be broke. Said the shift soleniods them selves could be good hince the reason the pcm is not picking up on them being bad. Is this plausible?
Sticking maybe but broken seems un likely to me at least... But didn't this happen in more then 1 transmission or after a rebuild???

Last edited by 1FastBrick; 09-02-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

no this is the first and only 4l80e that i have had in this truck. Its a stock unit that had alot of miles when i got it and i added a hd2 shift kit and fti converter. Ran great for a week and thin started acting up when it was cold. Found that to be converter drain back. But once warm it does fine going in gear and everything. This is the only major issues i have had with it. I cant seem to figure it out. Gonna just order a retune and see if something might be wrong in the tune. Cant seem to come up with any other ideas on this thing. Has me stumped.

Quick Reply: 4l80e 2nd gear limp mode