Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l80E 1-2 shift problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 04:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l80E 1-2 shift problem

I tried searching as much as possible and I guess I entered in the wrong words cause I can't find what I'm looking for.

Anyhow, I just picked up a bone stock 2000 Silverado 4wd 2500 6.0/80E. Truck seemed to drive home fine that night but the next day it had a shifting problem from 1-2. Previous owner I know quite well and I know the trans had a rebuild a few years ago. Well over the weekend after I bought it, which was about a week ago, I went through it changing fluids and noticed the trans fluid was brown and burnt smelling so I did a fluid and filter change and flushed it until it was red fluid again. Well the shift problem is still there.

It's not consistent which is why I'm in here asking. On initial start up, the truck shifts 1-2 just fine. As soon as I stop at the stop sign at the end of my street (tranny fluid still cold)and take off again, it'll just hold at around 3500rpm or various other rpms depending on how much pedal I give it for about 5 seconds then it'll shift and go through the other gears without a problem. Then after the next stop/takeoff it may shift on time but not feel like it fully hit 2nd and kind of lul around the rpm it dropped to and then slowly climb and shift in to 3rd. These 3 problems are never in that order throughout a drive. They vary in order but it seems that if I stay under 25% throttle (hpt log) it'll shift fine. Over that and it acts up.

Here's the kicker, if I kill the truck to go in the store or whatever and come back to leave (the trans fluid is hot now) it'll shift fine for the initial take off through the gears then after the next stop/go it starts acting goofy again.

No codes have been thrown either. I do a lot of hwy driving so maybe it doesn't shift enough to throw one?

Any suggestions? Shift solenoid perhaps? Rebuild? I'm not familiar with autos especially electronic autos. I've always had manuals or kickdown cables.

Thanks for the help yall!!