Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4L65E, Low line pressure in all ranges, loss of movement, help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 07:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doing great so far. 90 miles on the unit with no issues. Only change was full teardown/inspection, replaced slightly burnt forwards and 3-4 pack, reassemble and reinstall.

If this continues to hold true....what a crock on that Parts Store filter. How many transmission have been killed because of it?? Most probably just accept it's time for an overhaul and get a different unit, or overhaul their current one which would also remedy the situation.

We have 2 units that exhibited the same symptoms, and were serviced within 2k miles of each other. 15-20k miles later they both do the same thing and want to quit moving. Seems pretty obvious this is the issue. The matter won't be fully resolved for a few weeks as time/mileage accumulate, but the results are good so far.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is interesting Alan, I bet this is what took out the 60e you built for mine, lost line psi (80psi wot) and had burnt/glazed 3/4 clutch pack. This happened shortly after changing the oil and putting in a orileys filter. Pan was vary clean when I changed it, then shortly after it's slipping?? Im sure a built trannys with more line psi and reving to 7k will suck that filter in much quicker!
Old 01-06-2013, 10:14 AM
11 Second Club

Ya i'm pretty upset with the PowerTorque brand filter at the moment. Granted, I probably need to wait a few weeks before ringing the 'yep, that was it' bell, but the preliminary results are looking good.

Ya your trans (before filter change) and Tyler's T/A are the ONLY ones that did NOT use a parts store filter....I got them from Dana with the trans parts and he informed me his were SPX Filtran.

Here's the pic you sent me of your pan when you serviced it. This was 7K shifts with a lot of Nitrous if I recall:

^That's pretty much a perfect pan. No material at all and I know you aren't easy on them at all.

Glad I might have got the real problem figured out, but pretty unhappy with how many late nights and weekends I spent finding a 'ghost' issue on some of these.....
Old 01-06-2013, 10:43 PM
11 Second Club

Another reported case:

Defective Trans filter almost costs me transmission. [Archive] - LS1GTO.com Forums
Old 01-07-2013, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

I'm running jakes old tranny just put in new 3-4 clutch packs 10k ago pulled the pan Saturday an the filter was fine didn't get sucked up but I did find some black shavings in the oil so I'm sure it's on it's way out but it's nice to know to use factory filters from now on!
Old 01-07-2013, 01:17 PM
11 Second Club

I'd be all over it with a line PSI gauge to see what you got, however, it's highly likely. This case is still far from proven, but so far so good on this end.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, but seeing how even solvent hardly flowed throw that filter on the vid im done with cheap filters regardless, I can only imagine what that filter is doing at 7k rpm on a high pressure built tranny, the pump is the heart of that transmission, starve it for oil and it won't take long till that tranny is on the shop bench again
Old 01-07-2013, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I really should do that but I'm pretty sure my 3-4 clutch packs are shot cause I have a weak 2-3 shift at times
Old 01-07-2013, 08:08 PM
11 Second Club

If I were in your position, it would depend on how much clutch is laying in the pan. If it's got a good amount laying on the bottom, probably best to remove and inspect/replace the worn components.

If it's just a light film of material, try the filter and see. Although it's wounded most likely, you'd be suprised at how loose a clutch can be and still hold properly. Although, it's ALWAYS best to do a full teardown and inspection anytime you have significant clutch wear. Being a 2wd i'd probably just pull it in your case and do it up right again.

BUT

i'd also drop the coin and try that filter first this way I know what i'm dealing with. Ya, red fluid and a filter ain't cheap, but in order to narrow the problems down you got to work the problem one variable at a time.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:42 AM
11 Second Club

No issues to report. Lots of pulls on her and it's been back in the hands of the owner for DD use for nearly a week now.

Quick Reply: 4L65E, Low line pressure in all ranges, loss of movement, help!