Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l60E problem: What happened?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 06:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60E problem: What happened?

Ok, I know the 60E's are often plagued with problems, so lets get that out of the way first...

I was cruising about 65 on the interstate and was stuck behind an 18 wheeler , when he got over I passed him, but once I got in front of him the truck never shifted back into OD. So I'm stuck on the interstate at like 4k rpms, so I slowed down. When I pulled off onto a road, I went slow... 1st gear, no problem... 2nd gear, no problem.. shift into 3rd, rpm's jump up, never catches into gear.

I then tried to manually shift down from OD to 3rd and nothing happened, when I shifted back up to OD it seems to have went into 3rd, but it doesn't feel locked in, I can rev on it to get it to go, but feel's like its slipping really bad.

Parked the truck a few hours too cool off. Cranked it again, checked trans fluid, it was okay. Tried to drive it again.. 1st, 2nd, is okay, but 3rd rpm's shoot up, then I have to manually shift down then back to OD to get what feels like 3rd. Never can get it to go back into 4th/OD.

So is this one of those type of problems that is fixable or does it sound like I messed up the trans?
Old 04-12-2014, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It lost the 3-4 clutch pack. It's the most common thing to fail first in a 4L60/65/70-E. The reason the RPM shoots up when it tries to shift into third is that the band is releasing, and without the 3-4 clutch pack engaging it's like going back to first gear, without the overrun clutch engaged.
It's fixable and even improvable with a better clutch pack, but you're looking at a rebuild.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by James B.
It lost the 3-4 clutch pack. It's the most common thing to fail first in a 4L60/65/70-E. The reason the RPM shoots up when it tries to shift into third is that the band is releasing, and without the 3-4 clutch pack engaging it's like going back to first gear, without the overrun clutch engaged.
It's fixable and even improvable with a better clutch pack, but you're looking at a rebuild.
Thank you for your response. I have an 80e in the garage, but looking at what I would need to install it is just not feasible for my truck. It has a lot of miles and I am thinking about getting another truck in the next year, so I may just toss another stock 60e in there until I sale it. I just wanted to make sure it was something internal verses something that could be replaced by just accessing the transmission via oil pan.