Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

14bolt SF w/9" ends

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2022, 11:37 AM
Launching!

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Default 14bolt SF w/9" ends

So has anyone on here actually completed this? I have to believe I'm not the first to venture down c-clip eliminator rabbit hole.

I reached out to Got Torque differentials as they make ends for the 07-13 9.5" but not the 88-93, only the 8.6" for 88-93.

I think these Strange ends would be the ones to use as I have not physically measured but have told the 14b has 3.375 dia. tubes.

https://www.strangeengineering.net/p...-tube-pr.html/

Then I'll need to contact Dutchman for a set of 5 x 4.75 BC axles as I see they made a set for the fella in another thread here, just have to figure out the length as I believe it is going to be different than OEM.

If you are asking why I just did not go 9" route, I tend to always choose hard way anymore it seems and maybe someone else can learn from this. And now I have a complete 14b axle ready to have new perches (Ruff stuff simple 14b kit), shock mounts (Atomic Fab), and or new ends stuck to it.

Old 11-02-2022, 02:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,434 Likes on 1,062 Posts

I think you're the first because most would just go the 9" route. Esp for a drag truck. The 9" is a fantastic diff for what it is; and with all the custom housings available its really tough to beat. Fully welded and machined housings used to be as cheap as $300 shipped

So thats probably $1000 in today's money lol
Old 11-03-2022, 11:27 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

I thought about it, But then you loose the factory brakes....
I looked into the Got Torque set up But the cost is too much.
At that point, I would rather put the money towards a custom 9 inch.
Old 11-08-2022, 08:58 PM
Launching!

Unfortunately a 9” setup for the 99-06 from either Moser or Quick Performance would be around $1500+ depending on options, then you still need to pick up a 3rd member. Can easily snowball into a $3k + adventure. I’m only on the fence if I decide that a TB is going to beat this axle into submission. I’ve seen quite a few run deep into the 9’s here and elsewhere but most are footbraking so that is a little more forgiving. They’re also probably using their brakes calipers as axle retention instead of c-clip eliminators.
Old 11-09-2022, 09:01 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by ALL ULL C
Unfortunately a 9” setup for the 99-06 from either Moser or Quick Performance would be around $1500+ depending on options, then you still need to pick up a 3rd member. Can easily snowball into a $3k + adventure. I’m only on the fence if I decide that a TB is going to beat this axle into submission. I’ve seen quite a few run deep into the 9’s here and elsewhere but most are footbraking so that is a little more forgiving. They’re also probably using their brakes calipers as axle retention instead of c-clip eliminators.
By the time you buy C clip Eliminator from Got torque, a New locker, Gears and install kit How much you think your in to a 14 bolt???

There is more than 1 way to skin a cat when it comes to a 9 inch. You couldn't pay me enough to run Moser.

Personally, I would run a Strange Housing If I didn't have the ability and tools to build my own from scratch... I like there center housing
Old 11-10-2022, 03:44 PM
Launching!

Total cost thus far:

14B rear axle was a wash with selling my original
Differential: Detroit Locker $1000 (don’t think a TruTrac would cut it)
Dutchman Ford big ends - $105
Ruff Stuff Specialties 14B Simple kit - $152
Dutchman 33 spline custom axles - $650
Total - $1907

Brakes will be another $1000 for a set of Wilwood drag rears regardless if it’s the 14B or 9”.

Last edited by ALL ULL C; 02-11-2023 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-11-2022, 09:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

I am confused with your parts list. What is your goal by going to 9" ends? Simply for C-clip elimination? Seeing the 1320wheels brackets/adapters on the list, seems you are wanting to run the GMT400 front calipers/rotors. If you go to 9" ends, the adapters will not work and you will have to go to a 9" specific brake setup.

I have considered doing 9" ends on the 10bolt for the tapered bearing and captured axle to reduce pad knockback and the ability to run bigger/stiffer/lighter radial mount calipers. My rear suspension setup is specific to the 10bolt and I already have a well setup differential so the only reason for doing ends rather than just building a full 9". If I were still only running street/drag with the truck and needed something stronger than than the 8.6 and had a properly geared14bolt available, likely would just get a good posi/locker and 1320 adapters and rock that. If I had to get gears, cover, axles and weld on ends too, likely would just go the 9" route along with new rear brakes.
Old 11-11-2022, 10:06 AM
Launching!

Yeah that is confusing isn't it. I think I cleared it up now to make sense.

This really just revolves around if I am OK with using brake rotors for axle retention in the event something goes bad back there. I know many use their rotors in lieu of per the book what should be back there, doesn't make it right either. It's "good" til it's not scenario.

Last edited by ALL ULL C; 11-11-2022 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-11-2022, 10:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

Yep, that's clearer, either bearing ends and new brakes or adapters and 400 brakes with locker, bracketry, cover and axles. Realistically the brakes are likely a wash unless you go with an aftermarket kit so it is only a couple hundred more for the 9" ends if you can do the work yourself. I believe when I was pricing out full built out 9" setups a year or so ago, they were all in the 3K range. IIRC a full package from Dutchman was the lowest cost option.
Old 11-11-2022, 11:04 AM
Launching!

And to boot, over the years I've collected the parts and they've just been in stock til the day comes. So I already have:

Ruff Stuff Specialties 14B Simple kit
1320wheels 10B to 14B billet spacers
1320wheels 15" conversion brackets
GMT400 brake rotors (haven't bought the calipers yet)

Again if I don't need the spacers, conversion brackets, or GMT400 brakes so be it and I'll replace with Strange ends/bearings and figure out a set of brakes whether there is a cost effective OEM disk setup or I run an aftermarket set. The housing is ready to stick new perches & shock brackets on it as it sits today so cutting the ends off and sticking new ones on is just one more step at this point. I'd just have to do the math on what length axles I need and make sure Dutchman can make me a set of 33 spline for a 14B w/9" ends. Seems straight-forward in my head at least.

Quick Reply: 14bolt SF w/9" ends