Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

14+ 9.5" 12 bolt into NBS with pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 14+ 9.5" 12 bolt into NBS with pics

I'm not sure if this has been Adressed yet, but I am in the process of swapping in a 14+ 9.5" 12 BOLT into my 2000 Silverado. If you're wondering why, it's because I got the complete axle assembly very cheap. Brakes and all.

As far as fitment and bolting on to the leaf springs goes, it is a direct bolt in. One bracket needs to be moved from you're 10 bolt and put on the 12 bolt and one bracket needs to be moved from the 12 bolt down the axle and welded to hold the brake line junction.

The shock mounts are a little different. The lower shock mounts on a 10 bolt are set inside the pad for the bumpstop. The lower shock mounts on a 12 bolt are set just below the pad for the bump stop. So you have a few options, cut the upper mounts and move them out or cut the lower mounts and move them in. Or the BFH mod, which is what I used.

As far as brakes go, my experience is this, you're factory NBS rear disc brakes will bolt up to the 12 bolt. But you only need to do this if you want to run a smaller wheel than a 17. If you have 17s or larger just use the bigger 14+ rear brakes, just disconnect you're old calipers, connect the 14+ calipers and bleed the brakes.

The differences between my 2000 rear disc and the 14+ rear disc are, the caliper mounting bracket is taller and the rotor is bigger on the 14+ that's right, the calipers are identical. Will add pics when I get to a laptop.
The following users liked this post:
mitchellmade (10-18-2017)
Old 09-23-2017, 01:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by needmorepewter00
I'm not sure if this has been Adressed yet, but I am in the process of swapping in a 14+ 9.5" 12 BOLT into my 2000 Silverado. If you're wondering why, it's because I got the complete axle assembly very cheap. Brakes and all.

As far as fitment and bolting on to the leaf springs goes, it is a direct bolt in. One bracket needs to be moved from you're 10 bolt and put on the 12 bolt and one bracket needs to be moved from the 12 bolt down the axle and welded to hold the brake line junction.

The shock mounts are a little different. The lower shock mounts on a 10 bolt are set inside the pad for the bumpstop. The lower shock mounts on a 12 bolt are set just below the pad for the bump stop. So you have a few options, cut the upper mounts and move them out or cut the lower mounts and move them in. Or the BFH mod, which is what I used.

As far as brakes go, my experience is this, you're factory NBS rear disc brakes will bolt up to the 12 bolt. But you only need to do this if you want to run a smaller wheel than a 17. If you have 17s or larger just use the bigger 14+ rear brakes, just disconnect you're old calipers, connect the 14+ calipers and bleed the brakes.

The differences between my 2000 rear disc and the 14+ rear disc are, the caliper mounting bracket is taller and the rotor is bigger on the 14+ that's right, the calipers are identical. Will add pics when I get to a laptop.
sorry to dig up a old thread but what did u do for u joints??
Old 10-18-2017, 07:21 AM
MASS seller approved

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

any pics of this?