Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

1 blown G80!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 08:43 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by L82gofast
I put a Auburn posi in after I got tired of using the right rear as an eraser through intersections It has worked great since then. Don't bother with another G80....
no more G80 for me
Old 05-14-2005, 08:45 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by moregrip
will do, sometime today
That reminds me, I need to check the rearend fluid today before i do any test.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it is the new style AAM housing, but i believe the detroit locker made for the old one should fit without an issue. as for what gains will a detroit give you over say a standard eaton? if you break a detroit locker, you've achieved one impressive defeat.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:57 AM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by zippy
it is the new style AAM housing, but i believe the detroit locker made for the old one should fit without an issue. as for what gains will a detroit give you over say a standard eaton? if you break a detroit locker, you've achieved one impressive defeat.
I read they are noisy, just how bad is the clanking?

any details you have sure would help......or even a good link.....been searching all morning......basically comparing the Detroit Locker and the Eaton Limited Slip
Old 05-14-2005, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a detroit locker that I put in my old 69 Mustang a few years back. LOVED it. IT would "click/kinda ratchet" going around corners but straight line performance and strength was well worth the increased noise turning corners. It won't bother you at all because that is the sound of a strong rear end

The rear diff I had before that was the clutch style and exploded right after I installed subframe connectors and romped it on a downhill road Clutch disk rear ends suck compared to the Detroit.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:25 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read they are noisy, just how bad is the clanking?

any details you have sure would help......or even a good link.....been searching all morning......basically comparing the Detroit Locker and the Eaton Limited Slip
They can be noisy. They are not the "soft locker" type, so there is no dampening in them. But, the stock open case is stronger that the stock G80, so reusing the stock case is not an issue. Thta is why tractech decided to reuse it. It is a solid 4 pinion 2-piece case that can take a lot of abuse. Any tractech part number that does not end in a letter does not include the diff case, and all the "soft lockers" have a SL in the part number. The part number for your would be a 225S10, so no case and no soft locker. The case you would need would be a 6258336 for 4.10 and lower and 6258340 for the 4.56 and up.

As far as the G80's in the 10.5 breaking, it happens pretty often, just not as much as the 8.5. There are not nearly as many of them for one, and they also dont break themselves in half as often. It is more often just internal damage.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:53 AM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by mzoomora
They can be noisy. They are not the "soft locker" type, so there is no dampening in them. But, the stock open case is stronger that the stock G80, so reusing the stock case is not an issue. Thta is why tractech decided to reuse it. It is a solid 4 pinion 2-piece case that can take a lot of abuse. Any tractech part number that does not end in a letter does not include the diff case, and all the "soft lockers" have a SL in the part number. The part number for your would be a 225S10, so no case and no soft locker. The case you would need would be a 6258336 for 4.10 and lower and 6258340 for the 4.56 and up.

As far as the G80's in the 10.5 breaking, it happens pretty often, just not as much as the 8.5. There are not nearly as many of them for one, and they also dont break themselves in half as often. It is more often just internal damage.
Thanks for the info!
looks like the open carrier is about $200 bucks and the locker is about $400 bucks. That's $600 plus install,

Can I do this myself? I really prefer to do all my own work
Old 05-14-2005, 12:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for the info!
looks like the open carrier is about $200 bucks and the locker is about $400 bucks. That's $600 plus install,

Can I do this myself? I really prefer to do all my own work
I'd say try it out and do a write up.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry to hear about the diff. Too much low end torque I guess. Radix

Looks like you have been provided with another opportunity to make your truck stronger.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:15 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by Mort
Sorry to hear about the diff. Too much low end torque I guess. Radix

Looks like you have been provided with another opportunity to make your truck stronger.

I need another job

or a sponsor

Quick Reply: 1 blown G80!!