Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

02 Tahoe Z71 - Swapping in 4L80e, What T-Case?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 09:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Tahoe Z71 - Swapping in 4L80e, What T-Case?

Hey guys, looking for a little assist here. All of the info I keep bumping into online seems to have multiple responses with nothing confirmed as the right or wrong answer. Here's what I've got - a 2002 Tahoe Z71 with a dying 60e and autotrac transfer case. I've got an 80e sitting here to swap in, but I want to get the HD electric T-case to put in with it so it's got the whole setup.

From what I've researched, the same NV246 went in the 1500 and 2500 Tahoes/Suburbans, the only difference being the spline counts on shafts. The HD pickup trucks had the NP263hd and I'm trying to see what my best option is going to be. I'm buying the t-case freshly rebuilt with a 3 year unlimited mile warranty so I can pick and choose what model I pick up when I get there. I just need to have an idea obviously.

It sounds like the 246 will plug and play with my current harness and possibly my 4wd switch, just the Auto obviously won't work, which is fine (This or I can buy a switch off eBay or whatever) - The 263 seems a little more involved...wiring harness, TCSS, an additional speed sensor, though I'm not entirely sure.

Can anyone clarify or recommend one of these over the other? I'm not doing any serious 4 wheeling. Just need the t-case to get me through Michigan winters. I will be towing a travel trailer with the Tahoe once the 80e trans is in there. Just looking to do the most straightforward swap to get the HD running gear in there. Thanks for any input guys!
Old 05-30-2017, 03:38 PM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

From what I have read there is no reason to swap T case. Just get the same T case with a 32 spline input shaft. Or put a 32 spline input shaft in your current t case.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Just swap to a 32 spline input shaft into your 246 and get it rebuilt