General Truck Racing and Discussion Baja, Stadium, Craftsman Truck Series, Offroad, Sleds, Mudding, Monster Trucks

Autocross anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to autocross my 04 RCSB 4.8/5-speed. I had a Hothckis TVS System on it (sway bars and drop springs), and SS 20s.

I had a ton of fun, and made the most noise (Gibson Super Truck cat back). The truck always made people pay attention. It handled well for a truck. However the way classing was I was up against cars weighing thousands of pounds less. It weighed 4700 lbs! Plus with the lowering it would actually bottom out on one side while cornering and lift the inside rear wheel on banking.

I ended up selling it and picking up my Z28. It isn't as dare to be different, but it has won me a couple championships.

Long story short, don't be afraid to give it a go! You will have fun!

But, unless your local club has more truck friendly rules you won't be competitive. Also some HPDEs won't allow trucks at all. That is too bad as trucks will do better on actual road courses (high speed auto-cross) than in parking lot events. The cone events favor small cars, even my (much smaller) Z28 gets beat in lot events (by civics and such).
Old 06-19-2011, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

Thought I'd bring this back from the dead and see if anyone has got into auto X lately.
My friend is pushing me to set my truck up to try it out, iv alway wanted to and he does really good always in the top 5 or better in a 84 ElCo I helped built so I'm sure I could get my RCSB to do ok.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looking to do it sometime, anyone know of events in AZ?
Originally Posted by subtlez28
I had a ton of fun, and made the most noise (Gibson Super Truck cat back). The truck always made people pay attention. It handled well for a truck. However the way classing was I was up against cars weighing thousands of pounds less. It weighed 4700 lbs! Plus with the lowering it would actually bottom out on one side while cornering and lift the inside rear wheel on banking.
thats heavy, what all was on it? mine only weighs 4200 lbs
Old 02-22-2013, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

YouTube

YouTube

Fond this on YouTube. Looks like fun
Old 03-18-2013, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bringing this back from the dead, hoping to inspire some peeps to autoX the truck..

Anyone have any input on a decent 4 Link setup for auto crossing ?

Couple good suggestions here, read this back in the day, found it recently online ..
2004 Chevy Silverado - Modified Truck, Custom Truck - GM High-Tech Performance Magazine
Old 03-05-2014, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GMade03
i know ALOT of guys/gals race there trucks down the 1/4 but just wondering if anybody on here autocrosses there trucks as well? any pics or videos?
I ran a SCCA event in 08 with my ZQ8. I got 3rd place in H-stock, and even turned a faster time than most of the stock miatas.

I plan on doing some events this year with a local club.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:41 AM
Teching In

I've never autocrossed a truck but used to race quite a bit in various cars I've had in the past, several BMWs, a Corvette and a couple first gen MR2s etc
Old 11-20-2016, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

It's my turn to bring this back from the dead!! Some of you who are "in the know" are aware of new classes in SCCA Solo that are truck friendly. The Contemporary American Muscle (CAM) classing allows for pickup trucks to compete along side Camaros, Mustangs, G8's, etc in Classic (CAM-C). The rules are very lenient and allow for some extensive modifications!

http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files...pdf?1479402119
Old 11-20-2016, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Love it!

RT
Old 11-21-2016, 10:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteninetyfive
It's my turn to bring this back from the dead!! Some of you who are "in the know" are aware of new classes in SCCA Solo that are truck friendly. The Contemporary American Muscle (CAM) classing allows for pickup trucks to compete along side Camaros, Mustangs, G8's, etc in Classic (CAM-C). The rules are very lenient and allow for some extensive modifications!

http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files...pdf?1479402119

Hey man, thank you for posting this. I was wondering what class I was going to get my '03 in.. I moved regions a year ago and I am getting the truck ready now for next season. This is a great help !

Quick Reply: Autocross anybody?