FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Words from Jim Bell

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 02:39 PM
Notorious BIG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is a excellent post! i enjoyed reading it very much. especially the part of inlet restrictions causing boost drop off. i think that is why i'm only making 8psi with a 2.8 radix pulley. first things first, new air filter must be ordered. how big are the stock sss mafs anyway?
Old 06-12-2006, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

I'm not picking nits with that particular article, but you have to take things that Jim Bell says with a grain of salt. He's VERY biased in things that he says.

Hard to believe you guys need that much throttle body, even in a draw-through setup (not saying you don't, just saying it's surprising). I was making about 450 to the wheels through a stock 65mm when I had the Kenne Bell on my '95 Lightning. Apples to oranges, but I make roughly 1400 hp through a 75mm (blow-through application) on my big block combo.

Danville - Any chance you're going to Midnight Madness at IRP this Friday (6/16)night? If so, drop by and say howdy! I'll be in a red Lightning with big tires...
Old 06-13-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Got the tranny fixed. Blew out the Hub on the Torque converter which in turn thrashed the pump. Dave from Rock-On-Transmission saved the day. He showed up at his shop on Sunday afternoon so I could put my truck in his shop and than took me to a Motel. When it was time for me to check out on Monday he came and picked me up and took me to his shop. At lunch he took me out to lunch and would not let me even pay for my meal. He rebuilt my tranny in one day and let me watch and explained how everything works. He treated me great. He could of said it would take days or more to fix it but he dropped everything he was doing and saved me on a sunday and had me out on Monday.
His customer service is second to none. I had a great experience with Dave.
I would recommend Rock-On-Transmissions.
The tranny failure had nothing to do with Dave's build. The TC was shipped to my house right from Precisions. It was their TC that failed and than thrashed the tranny.
Thanks Dave
Mark
Old 06-13-2006, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2004Denali
Got the tranny fixed. Blew out the Hub on the Torque converter which in turn thrashed the pump. Dave from Rock-On-Transmission saved the day. He showed up at his shop on Sunday afternoon so I could put my truck in his shop and than took me to a Motel. When it was time for me to check out on Monday he came and picked me up and took me to his shop. At lunch he took me out to lunch and would not let me even pay for my meal. He rebuilt my tranny in one day and let me watch and explained how everything works. He treated me great. He could of said it would take days or more to fix it but he dropped everything he was doing and saved me on a sunday and had me out on Monday.
His customer service is second to none. I had a great experience with Dave.
I would recommend Rock-On-Transmissions.
The tranny failure had nothing to do with Dave's build. The TC was shipped to my house right from Precisions. It was their TC that failed and than thrashed the tranny.
Thanks Dave
Mark
Wow! Now that is customer support.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:01 AM
TECH Regular

Wow, that last post was a little . Good to hear about the great support though.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by moregrip
couple of things to note:

Current Radix J-Tube won't support 105mm that I can see, so a a more customized setup would be needed.

No parabolic designed 105mm TB available

no readily available MAF to support it
Give LPE a call about the MAF. I heard the Corvette guys saying they have a larger MAF available for the Corvettes. You might be able to adapt it to the trucks. I think it's around 4 inch diameter (101.6mm).

Jersey
Old 06-15-2006, 01:37 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
Give LPE a call about the MAF. I heard the Corvette guys saying they have a larger MAF available for the Corvettes. You might be able to adapt it to the trucks. I think it's around 4 inch diameter (101.6mm).

Jersey

I have seen the 101.6mm MAF, JG tested it on the engine dyno and the gains were less than expected. I think the 101.6mm MAF was designed to work with LPE's TT set ups, they move alot more air.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:38 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerseyboy

Jersey
your the second guy to mention that to me, might have to give them a shout, thanks
Old 06-16-2006, 12:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
I have seen the 101.6mm MAF, JG tested it on the engine dyno and the gains were less than expected. I think the 101.6mm MAF was designed to work with LPE's TT set ups, they move alot more air.
You will only see the gain if you actually need the airflow. I haven't seen MAF's make a huge difference, as long as the AFR, Timing, and IATs are kept the same. I know people have claimed as much as 50rwhp from descreening MAFs but I have yet to see much when everything is held equal.

My understanding is that the 101mm MAF was originally designed specifically to address the issues that the E40 ECU (2005 C6) has in higher hp applications. There was not really any performance gains expected from the larger MAF size other then being able to read high amounts of airflow and not peg out the MAF. Hell, LPE used to use the 1999-2000 MAF's on ALL of thier TT setups (even thier 8 and 9 second C5's) before this piece became available.

Jersey
Old 06-17-2006, 02:15 PM
Tribe Shaman

thanks Grippy.

you posted why my 2.5" pipe caused a restriction and the 3" or larger is much better to go with.

something I just could not explain what I was going through.

Quick Reply: Words from Jim Bell