FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Who is interested in a larger radix intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wkdivr
What did you use for the Heat Exchanger? Is that a small car radiator? I got another heat exchanger that's 3" thick off E-Bay. Same width, and length. I just got to mount it.
Yeah, its a radiator.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Naked AV
I am not a fluid mechanic so you are out of my area of expertise. But I would think that once the pipes are full, they would flow the same. They would stay in the pipe 'longer' simply because there is more pipe for them to stay in, not because there is less 'flow.' We are talking volume and surface area, not flow and velocity.

But like I said, we are out of my area of expertise. Some formulas would help. I would dig some up but I have an appointment in a few minutes.
You understand it, you are just making it seem more difficult than it is.

Water enters the heat exchanger, the velocity of the fluid slows down due to the water being displaced over more area.
Water exits the heat exchanger, the velocity increases to previous velocity due to it returning to the same size piping that it was in when it entered the heat exchanger. There are some frictional losses there but we won't even go there.
This occurs any type of cooling sysytem that uses air to cool the water and it is grosely oversized like my design is.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

So the idea is to keep the fluid in the radiator a long time and in the manifold or whatever the radix uses a short time. So if you wanted you could also get a larger pump that moves much more fluid to pull the heat off the manifold faster but the flow rate through the radiator would only be minimally increased due to its large size.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

How did you plug the original inlet/outlet? Man...I never thought of a small radiator! Mainly because of the inlet/outlet sizes.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NoChrome
So the idea is to keep the fluid in the radiator a long time and in the manifold or whatever the radix uses a short time. So if you wanted you could also get a larger pump that moves much more fluid to pull the heat off the manifold faster but the flow rate through the radiator would only be minimally increased due to its large size.
Possibly.
I pluged the radiator inlet and outlet with rubber expandable freeze plugs.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:40 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NoChrome
LOL I just noticed you qouted me in your sig. How cool is that?!?!!

mj I am not sure if naked av is on the same question page as me, but all I am saying is you can spread something out over 30 pipes if you want, as long as it leaves the Hx in the same diameter hose it came in, theoretically you shouldn't effect the flow rate...enough to matter. Theoretically because eventually the weight of the fluid in front of the pump will become more resistant and that will slow the rate.

LOL this is kinda funny, we all seem to agree mj has something, but we disagree on it affecting the flow rate.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wkdivr
How did you plug the original inlet/outlet? Man...I never thought of a small radiator! Mainly because of the inlet/outlet sizes.
Finda a good muffler man and ask him to cut the large pipes off and weld some new ones up. I got a good one here who is a GOD a welding aluminum.

Hope you dont mind i quoted you in my sig, it just seemed so funny, and fitting, it described me and my situation so well.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:20 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

MJHOWARD, I know exactly what you are talking about and it makes sense. It works the same as air flow. If you have X amount of air traveling through a area and you increase the area the air will slow down, if you decrease the area then the air will speed up. Jet engines have divergent and convergent ducts, convergent decreases the area and speeds up the air, divergent increases the area and slows down the air. Same principal as fluid dynamics. What you are stating is that when the water enters the radiator it will slow down do to the increase in volume, when it enters back into the lines the flow rate will resume standard flow.

Maybe this will explain it better for those who are a little lost..
Old 10-19-2005, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Kinda hard to do with plastic. Most muffler guys don't weld aluminum.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How bout just getting a bigger water reservoir?

Quick Reply: Who is interested in a larger radix intercooler?