FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Whipple Dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 07:52 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JennaBear
Those do seem a tad low, that giant heat pump is to blame though. With lower IATs you could be making a lot more power. Have your relocated your IAT sensor to the intake tube after the blower?
I relocated the IAT sensor when I had you guys tune it. I was also getting 9* of KR with your tune before it was retuned by someone else and intercooled.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 150 Posts

How did you rearrange the blower discharge? I can't see it in your pics.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

what wheels were on it when you dyno'd it that could also be to blame for the slightly low numbers..
Old 09-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
How did you rearrange the blower discharge? I can't see it in your pics.
The original outlet was blocked of and redirected out the other side. I'll snap a couple pictures later.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nonecktribe
what wheels were on it when you dyno'd it that could also be to blame for the slightly low numbers..
I had the 24" wheels on.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:21 PM
Hello Dave

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bromaguire
I relocated the IAT sensor when I had you guys tune it. I was also getting 9* of KR with your tune before it was retuned by someone else and intercooled.
Giant heat pumps they certainly are. I recall near 220* IATs on your setup, but nowhere near max KR (which is 8*) on any of the logs I have.

Those 24s certainly were not helping you put down big numbers though.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dc_justin
Giant heat pumps they certainly are. I recall near 220* IATs on your setup, but nowhere near max KR (which is 8*) on any of the logs I have.

Those 24s certainly were not helping you put down big numbers though.

I still have the logs from the runs you had me do. If you want me to post them up I can. I am 99% sure I was seeing 8* of KR I haven't looked at the logs in a while. I don't disagree the intercooler helped the heat but 8* of KR is a lot. There's none now with my current tune.

Anyone have a guess how much power I'm losing with the 24's? I am going to up the boost in a couple weeks and will have the truck retuned on the dyno. I may bring the stock wheels just to see what the differance would be.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Hello Dave

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bromaguire
I still have the logs from the runs you had me do. If you want me to post them up I can. I am 99% sure I was seeing 8* of KR I haven't looked at the logs in a while. I don't disagree the intercooler helped the heat but 8* of KR is a lot. There's none now with my current tune.

Anyone have a guess how much power I'm losing with the 24's? I am going to up the boost in a couple weeks and will have the truck retuned on the dyno. I may bring the stock wheels just to see what the differance would be.
You're intercooled now. There is a HUGE difference in the engine's ability to resist detonation when temperatures are 130* vs 220*. You even commented yourself on one of the 250* peak IATs at one point and asked about your increased likelihood for KR with it. When we finished up, your tune was seeing single digit timing due to that heat. The very last log you sent over (denali whipple run 8) has a peak spike of 4.4* in one of the 6 WOT runs you made, one see 1.3* when IATs are 160*, the other 4 have zero KR. That 4.4* KR occurs during an upshift to second gear with 205* IATs.

And just to set things straight, I'm very happy for that you are able to see the power that that whipple should actually be making now with that intercooler. No amount of tuning could come close to making up for that reduction in air temperature and it is very unfortunate that Whipple doesn't even offer an intercooled option. The fact that they don't suggest an IAT relocation is extremely dangerous.

As to the weight and it's effect on the dyno, 24s should be fairly easy to calculate. Since the rim itself is 12" from the center, the maximum absorbed torque from those wheels should be 2 x weight of each wheel. So, if each wheel weighs 40lbs, you'd expect to see a maximum of 80ft-lb drop from the wheels alone. The same 40lb wheel in a 16" version would have a maximum of 53ft-lbs lost. The added weight of the tire only compounds this and the farther from the moment of rotation you get, the more each pound of added weight will affect the torque to the ground.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 150 Posts

When I installed my intercooler without changing the tune, my 8° of KR went away. It turned out the tune was conservative because of the high IATs, and even more timing could be added because of the intercooler.That sounds similar to your situation.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dc_justin
You're intercooled now. There is a HUGE difference in the engine's ability to resist detonation when temperatures are 130* vs 220*. You even commented yourself on one of the 250* peak IATs at one point and asked about your increased likelihood for KR with it. When we finished up, your tune was seeing single digit timing due to that heat. The very last log you sent over (denali whipple run 8) has a peak spike of 4.4* in one of the 6 WOT runs you made, one see 1.3* when IATs are 160*, the other 4 have zero KR. That 4.4* KR occurs during an upshift to second gear with 205* IATs.

And just to set things straight, I'm very happy for that you are able to see the power that that whipple should actually be making now with that intercooler. No amount of tuning could come close to making up for that reduction in air temperature and it is very unfortunate that Whipple doesn't even offer an intercooled option. The fact that they don't suggest an IAT relocation is extremely dangerous.

As to the weight and it's effect on the dyno, 24s should be fairly easy to calculate. Since the rim itself is 12" from the center, the maximum absorbed torque from those wheels should be 2 x weight of each wheel. So, if each wheel weighs 40lbs, you'd expect to see a maximum of 80ft-lb drop from the wheels alone. The same 40lb wheel in a 16" version would have a maximum of 53ft-lbs lost. The added weight of the tire only compounds this and the farther from the moment of rotation you get, the more each pound of added weight will affect the torque to the ground.
I believe my wheel/tire weigh around 90lbs. So does that mean I'm losing about 180ft-lbs with them? What does a stock wheel/tire weigh?

Quick Reply: Whipple Dyno results