FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

What the...? More boost after bigger exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What the...? More boost after bigger exhaust?

This weekend I switched from a single 3" to a single 4" exhaust system. I had never seen more than 9psi of boost with my old exhaust but after the swap I'm seeing almost 11.

I thought the boost would go down, seeing as there is less restriction after the engine. Help me figure this out.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Backpressure was choking it down
Old 06-16-2013, 09:54 PM

I'm sure its normal since youre freeing up more gasflow from the turbo.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

I'm sure its normal since youre freeing up more gasflow from the turbo.
It's a supercharger, and I thought boost was a measurement of restriction. If there's something backing up the flow of boost, it should climb higher. If the restriction is less, the boost should drop, all else being the same.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hell...I was thinking turbo myself. I gotta start reading Sig's more.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by swift700
It's a supercharger, and I thought boost was a measurement of restriction. If there's something backing up the flow of boost, it should climb higher. If the restriction is less, the boost should drop, all else being the same.
Just saw your sig says SC.

Hummm interesting... I also think you should see less with SC since there is less restriction in flow.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:32 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I'm starting to think it might be coincidental. I changed my plugs at the same time and found one to be black with carbon. I'm thinking maybe there's a valve problem in that cylinder... maybe a weak lifter. If that exhaust valve isn't opening properly then it would create some extra backpressure. OR maybe not. I'm just trying to figure this out.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I'm starting to think it might be coincidental. I changed my plugs at the same time and found one to be black with carbon. I'm thinking maybe there's a valve problem in that cylinder... maybe a weak lifter. If that exhaust valve isn't opening properly then it would create some extra backpressure. OR maybe not. I'm just trying to figure this out.
If the exhaust valve doesn't open, the compression feeds back into the intake under scenarios I've seen. A lack of being able to get air OUT of the motor would cause for an increase in restriction/boost in my experience. If the exhaust valve decided to stay closed AFTER the exhaust change, then I could understand it. Although, that sounds like a coincidence.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:56 PM

Possibly.

You shouldn't see boost gain after changed bigger piping exhaust. Must air stuck around in manifold or some.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cjlee13
Possibly.

You shouldn't see boost gain after changed bigger piping exhaust. Must air stuck around in manifold or some.
Wouldn't that drop boost? The manifold pressure would be higher than atmospheric, causing a boost leak.

Quick Reply: What the...? More boost after bigger exhaust?