FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

using a diesel intercooler ? good or bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 12:32 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by reiners88
I'm no expert on forced induction, but I agree with Tim Z if it works good for a stock setup making 32lbs why won't it work with a smaller engine with half the pressure?? In theory it makes sense right? Is there anyone that's done or seen it done with good or bad results? It's definitely a good thought for sure.
In theory yes, however in real world it has shown to have less then desirable results. I am not sure I fully understand why but have seen the same outcome on a couple of builds. I have never seen anyone use one on a gas setup and be happy with it.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

The Duramax coolers don't fit without a lot of hacking and modding. The CX Racing fit and to a great job for the 6-700hp and below crowd which is the majority of my customers. You really can't uses Foose04's comparison as a great example as his EST intercooler was also an 1" thicker then the CX Racing intercooler he was running. That's a lot of extra flow and surface area to dissipate heat. He is also running 70/72/now a 76mm turbo's in the 18-20psi range. How many guys on here are doing that???

I also use the ETS intercooler on my BIG HP builds but they cost a lot more.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hm. I guess the term that it looks good on paper and not in real world situations comes into play lol.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:13 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sprayedenali
yup, foose is a perfect back to back example.

how many 9 and 10 second trucks do you see with ebay intercoolers?

how many 12 and 13 second trucks do you see with ebay intercoolers?
My ebay intercooler worked really well. I bought two more air 2 waters for the 1500hp charger project.....
Old 01-15-2012, 05:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to take a look on ls1tech. There are a lot of guys running ebay I/C with great success. I went the times in my sig with one. Cablebandit went 9.29 @ 153 in a 3800 lb car with one also. Are they the best I/C made? No, but for the money they work great. I would not use one for an all out race car, but for a DD and fun at the track they can't be beat.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:23 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Deisel core requires alot of modding to fit. And then it's flow area is too small for low boost gasoline set up.

That core is design for hi boost which starts off a lot hotter then low psi gas stuff.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...-begun-366944/

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...ll-out-371924/
Old 01-29-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

Like others have said, I don't think a $700 intercooler is necessary if you are only running about 10lbs of boost. If you have the cash go for it, but I couldn't justify spending almost a grand on the entire IC system for my current setup.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I notice this was for a Whipple. Seems I read somewhere (can't remember where) that A2A I/C's don't work well with PD systems. Apparently, since the rotors are sync-locked to the crank, they have trouble filling up the additional volume without losing boost. Hence, most PD systems use A2W coolers. Turbo's OTOH will just spin more until the boost pressure is reached and the load on the pump side equals the power on the turbine side. Can anyone confirm or refute this?
Old 01-30-2012, 05:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GMC_DUDE
I notice this was for a Whipple. Seems I read somewhere (can't remember where) that A2A I/C's don't work well with PD systems. Apparently, since the rotors are sync-locked to the crank, they have trouble filling up the additional volume without losing boost. Hence, most PD systems use A2W coolers. Turbo's OTOH will just spin more until the boost pressure is reached and the load on the pump side equals the power on the turbine side. Can anyone confirm or refute this?
What other positive displacement system would you use on a GM, that would work with an A2A system? Everything else sits on the heads, and if your referring to a lower manifold and heat exchanger as an A2W then that's a different issue. In the case of the whipple, not really sure if your going to lose boost or not because I have no experience there. It should take a little longer to reach full boost as you will have a much larger volume of air needed to fill the charge pipes and IC. Rotor speed should be a constant, wouldn't call it "sync-locked", but it is a constant keeping belt slip in mind. If you lost boost going to an A2A system on a whipple, simply pulley down.

Quick Reply: using a diesel intercooler ? good or bad idea?