FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Turbo LS Combustion Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 08:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 150 Posts

Would a shorter answer be, you are using the stock PCM's injector signals as your trigger signals?

My original question was based on not knowing that these are auxiliary drivers, I was for some reason thinking that you were building a stand alone system.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
Would a shorter answer be, you are using the stock PCM's injector signals as your trigger signals?

My original question was based on not knowing that these are auxiliary drivers, I was for some reason thinking that you were building a stand alone system.
Yep.

No standalone at this point, though. I'd like to keep the stock controller to handle all of the base function and add functionality that I'm not able to access with different add-on modules.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

Just realized I owed you guys a couple pics. Here's a couple snaps of some of the data acquisition stuff I'll be throwing into the Monoprice waterproof hard case that I picked up off eBay. I also picked up a Lenovo M93P that the previous owner had hot-rodded with a quad core i5 processor. I'll be mounting this (using the rack mount attached to it) near the glovebox and using it to run HPTuners as well as display the indicating data in realtime.

"The Box" with the Lenovo M93P that will be running HPTuners and realtime combustion analysis

8 X 14point7 Spartan 2 OEM's wired into a Molex bulkhead connector waiting on the PCB to tie them all together

10 X AD8495 thermocouple boards - 1 for each exhaust runner and two for the pre and post turbine temperatures

Kistler charge amplifier for pressure transducer, Labview MyDAQ and Arduino Mega. The MyDAQ and Mega will be replaced shortly with a PJRC Teensy 4.0 master module that will communicate with other modules via CAN

Last edited by CKirley; 02-15-2020 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

I was also doing a bit of thinking about injector mounting and tossed this pic together. Any thoughts on injector placement?
The green dots are the OEM injector location, yellow will be the secondary set, blue is the water meth attachment point running parallel to the ground, and the red is the opposite bank upstream injector.
Plans for injectors are to run a small injector in the oem location, mid size (60 lb/hr with gasoline, can't remember cc's) in the secondary spot, and then some 'yuge-ish 80's in the upstream spot.
(Photo cred: Big Tex, here: https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...ntakes-162763/)

I'm also tossing around the idea for the water meth to direct port inject it so that I've got a bit better control. I threw this together in Inventor tonight just to get it on paper/documented. The plan is for these things to use a Keihin pilot jet from a carburetor as the metering orifice. The housings will be threaded to 1/16 NPT on the manifold side and 1/8 NPT on the feed side. There's going to be a push to connect fitting (or some other 1/8 NPT compression fitting for a hardline) that butts up against the check ball to keep things from leaking out through the nozzle when the system isn't in use.
here's actually a lot of useful info here on DIY'ing a water-meth injection system Do It Yourself Water Alcohol Methanol Injection | Parts List. I'll be making some tweaks to the recommendations I found there since I'll probably be going with direct port water meth, but it's a good place to find pumps, operating pressures, single nozzles, and other parts.

Direct port water meth nozzle using carburetor pilot jets as metering jets

Cross section 1

Cross section 2
Old 02-16-2020, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

This project may be on hold for a little bit while I figure out what to do.... dropped the tank to install the Walbro 400 and found the crossmembers behind the tank were completely rusted through.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 344 Likes on 264 Posts

Cut them out and burn in some new ones. Its only a metal tube with some steel plates on the ends.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,435 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Yeah that is nothing. I wouldnt even think twice about that. All your skills and tools, surely you know a guy proficient with his MIG too
Old 03-03-2020, 02:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

id be very interested in some details on your injector testing hardware. i am actually in the middle of building an injector tester for my friend who wants to build a bench. its just a simple arduino with SSR that has a few different pulsing schemes.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TrendSetter
id be very interested in some details on your injector testing hardware. i am actually in the middle of building an injector tester for my friend who wants to build a bench. its just a simple arduino with SSR that has a few different pulsing schemes.
Sure thing. What kind of data are you looking to gather from it? Depending on what you want to do, I should be able to help.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

Also, I'm going to keep going with this project. Got some crossmember kits off eBay to replace the rotted tank supports that hopefully will be installed this weekend. A couple things slipped my mind with the PCB protos so those will need to be remade.

Finally ordered the engine components with the tax return....went with Summit Pro LS stuff. I'll spend a bit of time checking out their quality control, but at the moment they look like good pieces of kit. Pistons look to be Wiseco forgings, rods are maybe Manley or Eagle?
Went with the .945 pin vs a .927 pin for increased strength. More cross section = less bending; in engineering terms, a higher area moment of inertia will provide a higher stiffness. The way I'm looking at it, a stiffer pin will deflect less and take up less of the small end oil film thickness. Depending on the inner diameter of the pin, they might also have a higher shear area than the .927 pins. Had to stay with the 6.098 rod to keep the thicker pin, but I can't imagine that the increase in side loading from the extra 0.4% of R/L compared to the 6.125 rod would make much of a difference.
For those interested, the SUM-LS6098945 rods are marked to weigh 657.5 grams with a 471.5 g rotating weight and 186.0 g reciprocating weight. I have to run the numbers to see what balance factor that will give me with the stock bobweights (I just need to find the stock LQ4 piston and rod weights...made the mistake of selling the stockers before I got a measurement), but regardless of what I find I'm planning on taking them to get spun to rebalance to 50%.

I also picked up a set of Get'm Garage's piston oilers and have them installed in the block. Those were pretty nice drill jigs though. Took a little filing to get the main bolts to sit right on the fixture, but at the end of the day they put the holes in the right spots. Matched the extra flow required by the oilers with a Melling M295HV pump. I'm going to "port" the inlet of that one since I have to open it up to swap the standard pressure spring in. I'll upload some pics when I get things back in presentable shape.

-Cal

Quick Reply: Turbo LS Combustion Project