TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2toneblown
semi's are also deisels haha
And your point is....???
Old 08-25-2005, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

a deisel motor and a gas motor are 2 way different motors with or without turbos. you just cant compare a turbo gas motor to a turbo deisel motor in any way
Old 08-25-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2toneblown
a deisel motor and a gas motor are 2 way different motors with or without turbos. you just cant compare a turbo gas motor to a turbo deisel motor in any way
Old 08-25-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Yes, but there are diesel guys that hang out on this site too. Hence the entire sections dedicated to them. The question was "turbo guys", not "gas turbo guys, that only drag race their trucks".

The diesel/semi reference was just a simple example of the fact that a turbo can take the heat and abuse that towing dishes out.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok ok your right.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:25 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, but a diesel engine exhaust is not near as hot as a gas engine. they don't like 1200+ deg. plus a the more fuel you put throu a gas engine the coolder the exhaust temps, were as the more fuel you put throu a diesel the higher the exhaust temps.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:07 AM
Launching!

Similar to the GMC Syclone, we don't recommend towing anything over 500 lbs. The constant load on the engine could cause serious engine and/or transmission damage, not to mention will also cause the turbo to get very hot and could possibly melt down the turbo wheel. We have a customer that ordered the kit that was aware of this and he said he was going to make it so the wastegate was always open. This may help, but we don't recommend it.

-Rick
Old 08-26-2005, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

I tow with mine fairly often.... but I do my absolute best to keep it out of boost. With my setup the turbo hits far too hard (think 200 shot of No2), and if I've got much weight on the trailer at all I worry about taking the transmission or rearend out. Granted, my truck and turbo system is setup for making hp - but I use it as a truck also. If you're making much boost at I would recommend against towing in boost. I generally just downshift and only apply enough throttle to keep the engine still in vaccuum when climbing hills while towing.

I did try an experiment where I turned the boost down to about 5 psi while towing. The results were that if I towed while in boost (like up a long uphill section), I'd (a) get going way too fast with a trailer or (b) make too much water temperature and heat and end up having to slow down anyway.

The final result was that I managed to destroy the front fenders on two of my quads because they were loaded sideways on the trailer and the amount of wind at 100+ mph ripped the fenders at their mounting points.

When towing big stuff I take it MUCH easier!

So much for towing in boost!

http://members.***.net/duner/Turbo/S...vs%20Duner.WMV
Old 08-26-2005, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by duner
I tow with mine fairly often.... but I do my absolute best to keep it out of boost. With my setup the turbo hits far too hard (think 200 shot of No2), and if I've got much weight on the trailer at all I worry about taking the transmission or rearend out. Granted, my truck and turbo system is setup for making hp - but I use it as a truck also. If you're making much boost at I would recommend against towing in boost. I generally just downshift and only apply enough throttle to keep the engine still in vaccuum when climbing hills while towing.

I did try an experiment where I turned the boost down to about 5 psi while towing. The results were that if I towed while in boost (like up a long uphill section), I'd (a) get going way too fast with a trailer or (b) make too much water temperature and heat and end up having to slow down anyway.

The final result was that I managed to destroy the front fenders on two of my quads because they were loaded sideways on the trailer and the amount of wind at 100+ mph ripped the fenders at their mounting points.

When towing big stuff I take it MUCH easier!

So much for towing in boost!

http://members.***.net/duner/Turbo/S...vs%20Duner.WMV
All I have to say is DAMN!!! Those are some fast Dodges!!!
Old 08-26-2005, 01:22 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I set my boost to 5psi when i tow, but hardly ever see boost will towing.

Quick Reply: Turbo guys do you tow?