PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   FORCED INDUCTION (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/forced-induction-159/)
-   -   Turbo build pics....Finally! (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/forced-induction-159/turbo-build-pics-finally-366064/)

TurboGibbs 05-21-2006 09:03 PM

Turbo build pics....Finally!

Here is what some of you have been waiting for. I'll get more pics when I get it on the lift again. Keep in mind everything isn't complete. I still have to install all my T-bolt clamps on the intake piping, coat the turbo housing, puke tank, meth inj and a few other small items. It isn't tuned well yet since I had to send my LC-1 to Innovate to get it fixed. The Analog outputs aren't working so I can't interface it with HPT. Here is some of the specs:

-364 ci 6.0L Diamond pistons 8.9:1, LQ9 rods with ARP bolts(balanced of course)
-317 6.0 heads which I ported myself, moderate port job.
-223/219 .575 .524 114 lsa Custom ground Cam Motion
-Parish's old 6.0 turbo manifold with PT76-GTS turbo and 24x12x4" core size FMIC(ebay special).
-JGS Magnum 44 wastegate & Turbosmart BOV
-T-56 trans with Centerforce DF 12" clutch (hate the clutch, it has to go soon)

Before too long I'll get it to the dyno. Busy working right now. I still have the interior to finish. Copying retsell's console/shifter install. I'll post more pics as I get things done.
Keep in mind that this installation was for functionability and not show quality by any means. It is quick and easy that many of you could replicate at your house. I would have built my own turbo manifold but this one came up for sale and I couldn't pass it up due to the time savings.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...d/100_0262.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...d/100_0260.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...d/100_0261.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...d/100_0258.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...d/100_0257.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...d/100_0263.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...d/100_0273.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...d/100_0268.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...d/100_0271.jpg

More pics can be seen HERE!

Special thanks to Jose and Jason @ Forcedinductions.com for gathering some of my parts, advice, and helping me with a little TIG welding I needed done!

Keith 05-21-2006 09:10 PM

Looking real good!

Thanks for the pics

FarmerBeau 05-21-2006 09:11 PM

Very nice Mark. Congrats! Now lets see some times. What are your goals out of this project?

COLDZ71 05-21-2006 09:15 PM

Looks really cool!!! I bet that turbo with the stick shift behind it will be fun. I noticed you used a different FMIC then I believe you originaly intended to use. Any reason why? I was thinking about possibly using something like that for my truck.

TurboGibbs 05-21-2006 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by FarmerBeau
Very nice Mark. Congrats! Now lets see some times. What are your goals out of this project?

In time. It needs some 4.11's bad. The 3.73's and 31.5" tires aren't a good combo with that 2.66 1st gear. It is a little laggy for obvious reasons. It is a blast in 2nd and 3rd though. I run 28" dot slick which will help some.
My goals are a fun to drive daily driver. You won't be seeing me try to break any track records or anything. It is my primary mode of transportation. I used to have a 2000 C5 Z51 package vette so this it my truck and it merged into one, and then some :devil:

TurboGibbs 05-21-2006 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by COLDZ71
Looks really cool!!! I bet that turbo with the stick shift behind it will be fun. I noticed you used a different FMIC then I believe you originaly intended to use. Any reason why? I was thinking about possibly using something like that for my truck.

I just used what was cheap and what worked. I think the intercooler was something like $175 shipped. Not sure what to do with my meth kit now. on a 60-130 3rd gear pull my IAT's only rose from 82* to 91* :eek2: That sure beats the 170*+ temps I used to see with the Radix.

kbracing96 05-21-2006 09:31 PM

Nice!!:thumb: I've been waiting for this:D

greentahoe 05-21-2006 10:14 PM

So you went to an LS6 manifold? What fuel rails are those? Looks like you converted to the car rails etc?

TurboGibbs 05-21-2006 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by greentahoe
So you went to an LS6 manifold? What fuel rails are those? Looks like you converted to the car rails etc?

It is an LS1 intake and fuel rail. 60lb siemens injectors, 255lph fuel pump with MSD voltage booster. I mainly went with the LS1 intake to clean up under the hood a little. The truck intakes are just ugly.

74CheyenneSuper 05-21-2006 10:49 PM

nice :hail: :eek2:

MrXerox 05-22-2006 01:00 AM

Looks good... You might want to take that AC line down to your local hose or AC parts shop and get them to lengthen it to 2 feet in length and put different angle bends on either end so that it lays to the other side (over motor) Just did this to mine and it only ran me $50.00

TurboGibbs 05-22-2006 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by MrXerox
Looks good... You might want to take that AC line down to your local hose or AC parts shop and get them to lengthen it to 2 feet in length and put different angle bends on either end so that it lays to the other side (over motor) Just did this to mine and it only ran me $50.00

I may have to look into that. It is working fine like it is. i had to bend the line up and away to get it to clear. There is ~2" of clearence from the downpipe. I plan on having the piping coated in the future. That will help the heat xfer issue against the a/c line a little.

bud8fan 05-22-2006 05:48 AM

thats great :thumb: ...i love it :) ...cant wait for my '93 rcsb front mount 6.0 w/ 80e to get ready as well...bet you cant wait to get it back out there in street form..... :judge:

CurtD 05-22-2006 06:59 AM

Looks good Mark, I like how you got the IC hidden. I would kinda like mine behind the grille. You talk with Gomer yet about going to the dyno? I need to get mine over there and do some adjusting...and blow the soot out of it :jest:

TurboGibbs 05-22-2006 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by CurtD
Looks good Mark, I like how you got the IC hidden. I would kinda like mine behind the grille. You talk with Gomer yet about going to the dyno? I need to get mine over there and do some adjusting...and blow the soot out of it :jest:

Thanks. It idles like stock as well. :secret2:
No, haven't talked to him yet. I am working the next two weekends coming up. I will be off during the week though. I'll hollar at you when I get ready to go.

greentahoe 05-22-2006 06:01 PM

Man that is just incredible looking. I cant believe you got it done so quickly!!! So all you did was switch to the complete car intake and fuel rails to what year F body?? Other than cutting the water neck... anything else needed? It does look alot better!

parish8 05-22-2006 06:10 PM

that thing has the potential to make some crazy numbers on the dyno. 2wd, stick, gts76... cant wait to see how it does.

hemifever 05-22-2006 07:31 PM

Nice work dude!

TIM Z 05-22-2006 07:45 PM

f n sweet dude !!!! :hail: :hail: that engine looks bad ass !!!!

TurboGibbs 05-22-2006 07:49 PM

I appreciate the kudos guys. It has been running for a couple of weeks now. I had 2 weeks off work in which I set the engine in and did all the fab work. Spent a few days waiting on parts. The LS1 intake swap and T56 mods took several days themselves. I had to have the driveshaft shortened 2-3/4" and the crossmemeber required no modifications at all. As for the intake swap I bought the idler bracket from Speartec and copied thier water pump mods. I'd recommend using a car water pump and spacing the pulley out to get it to work rather than the water neck mods on the truck water pump like I did.
The returnless fuel system and the voltage booster is going to be a MFer to tune. I may do a returnless set-up before I go any further. The voltage booster comes in @5psi and if you are not @ wot when there then it looks like a diesel behind me and just floods it. My PE graph looks like a damn Tsunami wave when trying to compensate for the added fuel when you hit 5psi boost :jest:

zippy 05-23-2006 04:55 PM

That is looking very cool. That tall first gear is likely going to help some with traction for sure. I like the way it has come together so far.

Mort 05-23-2006 06:05 PM

Looking good! :chug:

greentahoe 05-23-2006 06:18 PM

Does the LS1 manifold have the nipple at the end to use as a vacuum/boost source?? Where are you running all your reference points? My LS2 doesnt have the rear nipple and Im wondering where to hook up my wastegate and BOV. The boost gauge and meth are T'ed into the FPR it looks like?? Where is the brake booster line I hear others T'ing off of?

TurboGibbs 05-23-2006 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by greentahoe
Does the LS1 manifold have the nipple at the end to use as a vacuum/boost source?? Where are you running all your reference points? My LS2 doesnt have the rear nipple and Im wondering where to hook up my wastegate and BOV. The boost gauge and meth are T'ed into the FPR it looks like?? Where is the brake booster line I hear others T'ing off of?

The brake booster and vacume sensing lines come off the back of the intake next to the MAP sensor.

macs406 05-23-2006 09:50 PM

Do you have ant pics of how you ran your ic piping, ie.. MAF sensor and BOV. I am putting the same ic on my truck only it 4" wide.

TurboGibbs 05-23-2006 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by macs406
Do you have ant pics of how you ran your ic piping, ie.. MAF sensor and BOV. I am putting the same ic on my truck only it 4" wide.

Pic #2 & #3 are of the BOV and MAF. I'll get more pics of the rest the next time I have it on the lift. My I/C is 4" wide. I used 3" intake piping and 3" downpipe.

macs406 05-23-2006 10:44 PM

How much cutting did you have to do? Mine is an HD so the trans cooler is in the way. I am going to run 2 1/2 tubing but have to run it back to by the gas tank.

TurboGibbs 05-23-2006 10:52 PM

I just had to cut some of the plastic of the headlight assembly brackets. Not much at all. Some people have been notching the frame and mounting them down lower but I found it to not be necessary. The pre 03 front ends may not have the clearence to do what I did.

macs406 05-23-2006 10:57 PM

So you dont have a trans cooler?

TurboGibbs 05-23-2006 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by macs406
So you dont have a trans cooler?

Originally a 5 speed and now a 6 speed :drive:
So, no. But you can mount tranny coolers anywhere just about. I wouldn't let it stop you. Just move it.

TURBO8 05-23-2006 11:13 PM

Looks good man, I am impressed. If I didn't live in Cali I would have done that same set up. I bought a 6.0 on ebay and it was crap, that is why I just put in the 5.3. You are going to make crazy numbers on the dyno and track. I'd get a two step, and a better clutch if I where you. You are going to like the ls1 intake, I think it makes better power top end. (It feels like it to me) I am also going to use the boost a pump set up. did you get the 3bar map for the meth? I also copyed the center console shifter, good looking mod. I can't wait to see what your truck can do. Hurry and finish I have a woody!

macs406 05-23-2006 11:14 PM

So i take it you like the turbo better than radix? How much boost are you running? I hit twelve pounds and lost 6 pistons with only 17,000 on it. I just put 5:13 gears in it so when i get it done it should haul. I attached some pics so you can see what i am working with.

TurboGibbs 05-24-2006 12:16 AM

So far I like the turbo better. It is just different. I was running 12.5-13lbs with the radix and so far just 10lbs with the turbo. I figure a 2 step will be a must and I will be using my Eboost2 to turn on the meth. I'll try working out the bugs with this CF clutch for now. I'll run it till it goes then step up.
macs406- you may like a Radix better for what you have but the 5.13's will definately help out with those tires. Sweet truck btw.

Yellowsierra 05-24-2006 09:34 AM

Looks awesome bro. I cant wait to see some numbers. At what rpm does it start building boost? My turbos start building around 2800-3000.

TurboGibbs 05-24-2006 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Yellowsierra
Looks awesome bro. I cant wait to see some numbers. At what rpm does it start building boost? My turbos start building around 2800-3000.

Thanks. In 6th gear @ 1500rpm ~80mph I can build 2lbs. Not instantly like a blower though. I reach full boost (10psi right now) by 3500 easy. keep in mind I dont have a loose stall to bring rpms up quick. On the other hand the dumping fuel for a longer time may make it spool at a lower rpm than an automatic but not necessarily faster, if you know what i mean.

quicksilverado 05-24-2006 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by mjhoward
Thanks. In 6th gear @ 1500rpm ~80mph I can build 2lbs. Not instantly like a blower though. I reach full boost (10psi right now) by 3500 easy. keep in mind I dont have a loose stall to bring rpms up quick. On the other hand the dumping fuel for a longer time may make it spool at a lower rpm than an automatic but not necessarily faster, if you know what i mean.

I'm confused. Do you have an auto or manual tranny? You talk about building boost in 6th gear and then say you don't have a loose stall.

duwem 05-24-2006 02:17 PM

what threw up on your downpipe....you should look into tig welding for a better appearance and better control.

CurtD 05-24-2006 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by duwem
what threw up on your downpipe....you should look into tig welding for a better appearance and better control.

:jest: :jest: :jest: :jest: :jest:

vanillagorilla 05-24-2006 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by quicksilverado
I'm confused. Do you have an auto or manual tranny? You talk about building boost in 6th gear and then say you don't have a loose stall.

He has a T56, and he's just saying that in 6th, at that speed, there's enough load to build 2psi at that low of an rpm.

quicksilverado 05-24-2006 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
He has a T56, and he's just saying that in 6th, at that speed, there's enough load to build 2psi at that low of an rpm.

Got it.