FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Things are wierd after some relocation action

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 11:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Things are wierd after some relocation action

[IMG]I have the vortech unit on my truck and I wanted to do a little poject that would move a few things around for future mods. The way the vortech is set up you have a mile to go before the air actually gets to the blower. I moved the batt. to the hd second location and then installed some aluminum tubing and filter to the old batt. location. Thus taken about four feet out of the air intake side. I had to lengthen the maf wires for this. Well now the truck doesn't want to idle to well and wanted to die a few times. I had about a 25 mile drive home on the freeway and now it seems to be idling better. Do you guys think that the computer just needed time to compensate for the new maf location and shorter intake travel? On another note, I had to run positive batt. cable from the end of the factory one to the other side of the truck, what the hell is the power cable running out of the relay box? And can I just run that to the small power take off by the block? The negative batt. cable had a extra wire hooked up to it too, I just ran them both right back to a ground, is that ok. Sorry for the many questions but I want to make sure that what I did is ok before I start to finalize the wiring. Thanks guys

This is the what the new set up will look like, CurtD's truck

This is my truck the old set up with all that vortech plastic crap!
Old 03-05-2006, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How'd you lengthen your MAF wires?
Soldering isn't a good idea. It'll introduce resistance, which would have an effect on the MAF in return (by changing its amplitude and voltage, thus in turn altering how the computer reads the MAF variables).
Using new wire, of the length needed, of some gauge is the best deal for that.

Also, in wiring the battery, did you keep the same connection points (this was from A to B, so the new location is also A to B but just longer wire)?
Old 03-05-2006, 11:35 AM
Launching!

As for the MAF I did indeed use new wire with the length needed, I think the factory stuff is 18g and the stuff I used was 16g so not too much difference. Oh and no I didn't solder anything, guess that was a good thing then.

As for the batt. I just picked up the factory positive batt. end and extended this to the other side with batt. cable. As for the negative side I just ran the factory end straight to a ground, and ran a new ground for the batt. to the block.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Anytime I disconnect the battery on my truck for anything it takes several miles for it to learn idle again.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Yeah if I remember right the last time I had the batt. disco for something it took a bit for it to relearn the idle settings.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:37 PM
Launching!

Sorry there is some stuff here that I already put up but I added some pics of my stuff. This is a post from the silveradoss.com site.

Decided to move my batt. over so the blower would have a shorter distance to gather air. Plus I figure the air just behind the light is pretty cool. I will be adding a 3 gallon fuel cell in place of the stock air box location for a ice chiller for those strip nights, this along with the meth injection should have it blowing air cold enough.

The install is very rough and unfinished. It was a rush job that I will get to make look nice next week. What would you guys do with the batt. cable? Cover it in that black loom or just adell clamp it to the firewall? Yes I know the batt. cables look but I will fix that!

Old 03-06-2006, 07:12 AM
10 Second Truck Club

Looks good man...noticed a good bit more power like that huh
Old 03-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Launching!

Curt Im glad you chimmed in. I have a few questions for you.
1. Did you just cut the stock + batt. cable at the red junction box?
2. What is the power wire coming out of the relay box, and did you run that to the red box?
3. What did you do with the factory - batt. cable? Did you run them to ground or just take them off?
4. The truck seems to idle really low at times now, did I screw up the MAF by extending the wiring?
5. Where how did you route the + batt. cable to the other side?

Sorry for the long questions, but you have been there and done that. THanks
Old 03-06-2006, 05:23 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Blow03SS
Curt Im glad you chimmed in. I have a few questions for you.
1. Did you just cut the stock + batt. cable at the red junction box?
2. What is the power wire coming out of the relay box, and did you run that to the red box?
3. What did you do with the factory - batt. cable? Did you run them to ground or just take them off?
4. The truck seems to idle really low at times now, did I screw up the MAF by extending the wiring?
5. Where how did you route the + batt. cable to the other side?

Sorry for the long questions, but you have been there and done that. THanks
PM sent
Old 03-06-2006, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Git some FAL fans in there Ric! At least to make it easier to work in there...

Beautiful set-up!

Quick Reply: Things are wierd after some relocation action