FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

The Tahoe is about to be Radix'ed

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tootall
and before/after #'s . . . ported vs stock TB too !
working on it, have to scan the graphs in for an adequate comparison
Old 08-11-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats, man!! Enjoy it!

Nice job, Matt!!
Old 08-14-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Wheatley was generous spending a few hours last night getting the tahoe totally dialed in last night... and now it runs like a bat out of hell! I didn't know tahoes could run like this.

Some things I noted:

This thing is much quieter than I expected. And at 70mph cruising, there is no blower whine at all. I filled the fenders with Great Stuff big gap filler to help quiet it down.

This thing pulls harder after 60 than it seemed to on its way to 60, it's ridiculous. I only took it up to 90 during tuning, but 90 came really fast.

When I am at WOT, it sounds like someone hooked my exhaust pipe up to a leaf blower. Instead of the usual engine scream, it's now a woooooosh sound with all of the additional air coming out.

I'll post up some videos once the roads dry up here.

Huge thanks to Charlie and Matt! Without both of you, my tahoe would still be pretty much stock.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ahaha good deal . . . start saving up for LTs . . .and a built trans . . .

what's going to fail first:

Cats

or the trans !
Old 08-14-2009, 05:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you're running 9:1 or richer, you shouldn't have to worry about cats.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Junkie

So took it over the Charlie's to have him look at the check engine light... turns out one of the knock sensors is bad

Funny thing is that how I said earlier that it seems to pull harder after 60mph than before, Charlie found out that the computer is pulling 8* of timing (b/c of the fouled sensor) until about 60mph, so he said I am probably 50-60hp until it adds the timing back.

So good news/bad news I guess, I found an extra 50-60hp... but I have to pull the entire blower off and buy new knock sensors ($91 for both at GMPD, not bad). I just tell myself I'm picking up 50hp for only $90, haha.

FYI: Knock sensor part number for the tahoe below is 12589867
Old 08-28-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

been there done that with the knock sensor issue. Sucks because its so time consuming! Just make sure you are very delicate with those sensors, they can get fugged up just by slightly dropping it, etc.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS
been there done that with the knock sensor issue. Sucks because its so time consuming! Just make sure you are very delicate with those sensors, they can get fugged up just by slightly dropping it, etc.
Yeah, we were really careful with them, but I guess not careful enough.

Did you have to pull the blower completely off, or is there a way to not have to disconnect everything and get to the knock sensors?
Old 08-28-2009, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
Yeah, we were really careful with them, but I guess not careful enough.

Did you have to pull the blower completely off, or is there a way to not have to disconnect everything and get to the knock sensors?
entire blower needs to come off. We did manage to leave the coolant lines still attached. Just unbolted the air intake (left the TB on), undid majority of the hoses, unbolted the 10 bolts, and yanked the blower up and moved it over.

Pain in the ***!

Glad I had a TVS when I did mine. The bolts on the MP112 are a BITCH to get to with the Jtube in the way!
Old 11-09-2009, 10:53 AM
TECH Junkie

FINALLY got the knock sensors changed yesterday. Matt (Tootall) and I broke 2 bolts while snugging down the blower, turned a three hour job into a six hour job

Went something like this: unbolt blower, pull the 100+ pound blower off, change knock sensors, then trip to Matt's friend's place to buy his knock sensor harness since we used black RTV on the black rubber covers the first time and it didn't want to let go, so we had to rip the covers apart to get them off, then blower back on, snap off one bolt with power drill, unbolt blower and take blower off, trip to Home Depot to buy a better drill bit since the bolts were hardened, drill out bolt, blower back on, I snap a bolt with the small hand socket and barely any torque, unbolt blower and pull blower back off, pull out broken bolt, blower back on and tighten bolts very carefully, yell profanities at the blower, drive home.

Blower off (first time)

Knock sensors RTV'ed in there and that black rubber cap isn't coming off in one piece (luckily Matt's friend around the corner had an extra knock sensor harness)

Broken bolt #1

Broken bolt, extractor, Dewalt cobalt steel drill bit, Sonic burrito, and punch

stopped taking pictures after this because Matt and I were too pissed off...

Long story short, knock sensors changed, I got rid of my false knock and got my 8* of timing back. I only thought she was fast before, now she truly runs like a bat out of hell!

Huge thanks to Matt (Tootall)! Definitely could not have done this by myself, so thanks for giving up your Sunday to change these out.

Quick Reply: The Tahoe is about to be Radix'ed