FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

STS Buzzer going off and overboosting a little.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
8ALTNG have you tried running the pump on the fast speed all the time? Also, is your pump lower than your turbo?
My pump is definetly lower than my turbo and it goes off above about 8-9psi. I just turned it down for the second time to get it to stop going off and I'm only seeing 7 psi max.
Have to try and turn that screw out and turn the boost back up and find that happy place where its all good.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 8ALTNG
If you are talking about the stupid soliniod with a 1inch breather on it then nothing. I ran that thing for 2 weeks then got rid of it. I think that the problem (at least) in my case is that the pump caint keep up. I have no problem with crank case pressure.
That is what I'm talking about and someone explained to me what it was for but I forgot to put that in my memory "SAVE" file part of my brain.
I think it was Vanillagorrila, he took his off too from what I recall.
My memory aint what it used to be.

So your'e saying your system works fine without it ??
Old 04-12-2006, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

It's not the pressure switch by the solenoid. That switch's only job is to set off the alarm if oil pressure builds up more than 1lb in the turbo because the pump is not working properly. If the pressure builds up in the turbo it gets pushed pass the seals, not pretty.

There should be a pressure switch under the hood set for around 1lb of boost that works with a brass colored, ribbed resistor. They have changed the kit lately so it may be different now.

If you have that, just short out the contacts on the pressure switch. That will put the pump into high speed all the time and try it.

You can't leave it like that because the pump will pull oil away from the turbo bearings at lower boost.

So if that works, then either the pressure switch is bad or something else, let us know how it works out.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by kenihemi
It's not the pressure switch by the solenoid. That switch's only job is to set off the alarm if oil pressure builds up more than 1lb in the turbo because the pump is not working properly. If the pressure builds up in the turbo it gets pushed pass the seals, not pretty.

There should be a pressure switch under the hood set for around 1lb of boost that works with a brass colored, ribbed resistor. They have changed the kit lately so it may be different now.

If you have that, just short out the contacts on the pressure switch. That will put the pump into high speed all the time and try it.

You can't leave it like that because the pump will pull oil away from the turbo bearings at lower boost.

So if that works, then either the pressure switch is bad or something else, let us know how it works out.
Yes, I understand what the switch on the return pump does.
What I was asking was, what does the solenoid that is connected to the under hood switch do?
You said you removed yours correct? If so does your system still function properly?
Correct me if I'm missing something or talking/asking out my butt.
Thanks again for the feedback on this.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:46 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

re check your ground wire that goes to the switch valve ( solenoid) Make sure it is connected to the body of the switch valve( the small stud on it). I had my ground wire connected to a bolt on my valve cover thinking it was needed to ground the harness. BUT, THE WIRE IS ALREADY GROUNDED AND NEEDED TO GROUND THE BODY OF THE SWITCH VALVE. It is an easy mistake to make. Since i grounded my switch valve properly i have had no problems any more! Pm me and ill give you my phone # if you need any help. BTW i bought a backup HI FLOW pump from STS for a spare. They will only sell this to existing customers who have purchased a kit ( im also a power dealer).
Old 04-12-2006, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

The pressure switch under the hood is a 1lb switch. When you reach 1lb of boost, the switch makes the contacts and bypasses the brass resistor and puts the oil pump into high speed.

I have a hemi, so I have more than one switch under the hood. But I'm a dealer and installer so I pretty much understand the system.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I had a problem with the buzzer going off at high RPM after I put my cam in. The motor was pumping more air and spinning the turbo faster, so it was using more oil. I talked to STS about it and they told me to screw the allen screw on the pressure switch at the pump, all the way IN and then back it out a 1/4 of a turn. He said that would take it from a 1 psi switch to about a 5 psi switch and the seals in the turbo can easily handle 5 psi of oil pressure. I did that and haven't had a problem with it since.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:04 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kbracing96
I had a problem with the buzzer going off at high RPM after I put my cam in. The motor was pumping more air and spinning the turbo faster, so it was using more oil. I talked to STS about it and they told me to screw the allen screw on the pressure switch at the pump, all the way IN and then back it out a 1/4 of a turn. He said that would take it from a 1 psi switch to about a 5 psi switch and the seals in the turbo can easily handle 5 psi of oil pressure. I did that and haven't had a problem with it since.

bingo
Old 04-13-2006, 01:06 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I just ended up getting the high volume pump and my problems went away lol.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kenihemi
The pressure switch under the hood is a 1lb switch. When you reach 1lb of boost, the switch makes the contacts and bypasses the brass resistor and puts the oil pump into high speed.

I have a hemi, so I have more than one switch under the hood. But I'm a dealer and installer so I pretty much understand the system.
The GM kit is different than the Dodge kit for the location of the high/low and oil pressure switches...

Quick Reply: STS Buzzer going off and overboosting a little.