FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Starting slow

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 09:30 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott Mills was selling an A2W kit that was on his HD (for an STS) last week or so -- I think he wanted $500 -- you'd need custom piping for sure, but that should be relatively cheap. Scott's kit was about the right size for your HP range too (~spearco 231 / 600ish HP I think).
Old 04-24-2006, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
Scott Mills was selling an A2W kit that was on his HD (for an STS) last week or so -- I think he wanted $500 -- you'd need custom piping for sure, but that should be relatively cheap. Scott's kit was about the right size for your HP range too (~spearco 231 / 600ish HP I think).
Is he a member here and do you have his screen name? Any idea where i can get the intake inlet (where the throttle body used to sit) for my truck? The blower outlet will have to be ordered from Whipple for sure.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

LOL...just noticed that SCOTT MILLS is his screen name.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:46 AM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

From what I've heard about the 8.1's is their pistons hate boost. Any one thats boosted them beyond stardard kit lvls has gone through pistons.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PSM
From what I've heard about the 8.1's is their pistons hate boost. Any one thats boosted them beyond stardard kit lvls has gone through pistons.

Wonderful..

Do you have any sites or posts to back that up? Im not questioning your statement, just want to see some of the testimonials and compare trucks from those who have had issues.

I cant believe how little information there is out there for these 8.1L trucks.

Thanks.

Last edited by Linda; 04-24-2006 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:28 PM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

I don't belame you one bit for wanting proof, lemme see if I can dig up some info for you.
One member on here has gone far with the 8.1 His name is Tie Rod. The 8.1 is very popular in marine applications and that is where you will find most info on them.

I believe it's due to the fact that the pistons are Hypereutectic Cast Aluminum and are very brittle

Last edited by PSM; 04-24-2006 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PSM
I don't belame you one bit for wanting proof, lemme see if I can dig up some info for you.
One member on here has gone far with the 8.1 His name is Tie Rod. The 8.1 is very popular in marine applications and that is where you will find most info on them.

I believe it's due to the fact that the pistons are Hypereutectic Cast Aluminum and are very brittle
Yes, i know TieRod, and have talked with him on several occasions. He has done quite a bit of modding to his 8.1. New heads, cam, Intake. Not sure about the bottem end though, never talked about whether he changed pistons, rods, crank, or anything like that. I think if i could get this thing intercooled with with a few more psi, i would be content. If there is such a thing. I really want to get into the mid 13's without sacrificing reliability.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There used to be a lot of info about this on GM-Trucks.com before they dum... er, I mean, changed their format. The problem, as I understand it, is not so much the hypereutectic-cast metal, but that the land between the piston top and the first ring is very thin, and breaks easily under pressure. Apparently the same is true of the Dodge hemi. Does anyone have a stock 8.1 and/or Gen III piston, and can measure the land to provide us with numbers?
Old 04-25-2006, 05:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GMC_DUDE
There used to be a lot of info about this on GM-Trucks.com before they dum... er, I mean, changed their format. The problem, as I understand it, is not so much the hypereutectic-cast metal, but that the land between the piston top and the first ring is very thin, and breaks easily under pressure. Apparently the same is true of the Dodge hemi. Does anyone have a stock 8.1 and/or Gen III piston, and can measure the land to provide us with numbers?
Well, thats unfortunate. Looks like I may not be bumping the psi like I wanted to....
Old 04-25-2006, 05:28 AM
TECH Addict

Well, according to these two pages....the marine 8100 and the automotive 8100 use the same hypereutectic-cast aluminum pistons. I know of a bunch of twin blower 8.1's used in marine applications.

http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpower...4_8100_ind.pdf

http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpower...std_marine.pdf

Still looking for more info.......

Quick Reply: Starting slow