FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Sloppy rcsb inspired build Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sloppy rcsb inspired build Help!

Well first off I am new here but I am in the process of building an 02 rcsb 1500. It has a stock 5.3 with the elgin 1840p (sloppy stage 2 cam) with pac 1218 springs. I am in the process of needing a converter as I am installing a 4l80e with hd2 kit. Truck is getting VS billet 7875 and first goal is around 600hp. I am not against making more power in the future but I never see making more then 800. Who has first hand experience with similar setups and what were you running. I see a ton of people use the Circle D's but dont always specify what model. I am open to suggestions from other brands as well. Is a triple disk required? Truck will be a toy for the street. May go to the track but not regularly. Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:39 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

If you ever plan to lock up the torque converter under power then you need to triple disk.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
If you ever plan to lock up the torque converter under power then you need to triple disk.
Is it neccessary to lock @ WOT on the street? I am not running a built trans. Wouldn't it need better parts in the trans to lock under power?
Old 12-09-2018, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Not really, the 4L80e is very strong as it is and will support that power level with ease.

It's not necessary to lock under power but it's a nice feature to have for sure.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FFDP
Not really, the 4L80e is very strong as it is and will support that power level with ease.

It's not necessary to lock under power but it's a nice feature to have for sure.
Noted. I am in the mindset that I want to buy 1 converter. Not looking to need to upgrade later. If it has to be overkill for now to be useful later so be it. I am really looking for recommendations on a good converter. I saw a yank 3200 pro truck with triple disk for 1150. Says it supports up to 1200. I dont really see HP ratings on circle d site. I did look at a billet 278mm single disk and a 258mm is available in triple. Not sure on their ratings though.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would run the 258 in a triple and the higher stall. Reason why is you said street toy, not tow or daily driver. There are two schools of thought on Stalls with turbo trucks. Basically loose and lower stalls and 3.42 gears or bigger stalls and 4.xx gears. The right answer is look at the power curve trans gears, final gear and tire height. Again pros may have a few stalls and swap out at the track. I know that isn't what you want or need. You can make 600rwhp very street able and if that is what you want I would lower the stall and go 3.42 and tallest tire I could fit. with the 4L80e you have less gears then a 6 or 8, which isn't bad but to drive around more as tow/dd Is a little more limiting again reason for the gears.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2FAST4U
I would run the 258 in a triple and the higher stall. Reason why is you said street toy, not tow or daily driver. There are two schools of thought on Stalls with turbo trucks. Basically loose and lower stalls and 3.42 gears or bigger stalls and 4.xx gears. The right answer is look at the power curve trans gears, final gear and tire height. Again pros may have a few stalls and swap out at the track. I know that isn't what you want or need. You can make 600rwhp very street able and if that is what you want I would lower the stall and go 3.42 and tallest tire I could fit. with the 4L80e you have less gears then a 6 or 8, which isn't bad but to drive around more as tow/dd Is a little more limiting again reason for the gears.
Sorry as i have just recently started researching converters as i want to get the trans in and drivable before the turbo goes on and trans didnt come with one. But I thought a lower stall means it would be tighter not looser. What's the advantage of the 258 vs the yank truck pro that's rated at 1200hp? I am running 3.42 years with a 30" tall tire. Is that tall enough?
Old 12-09-2018, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well your aren't wrong but it is a slang term and is used both ways. In my opinion it mean slippage or how hard(true) to the set stall it is. You will here people say it has a 1800-2000rpm stall but flashes right to 2500 with the new turbo. Meaning it was a stock stall and the increase in power is pushing that stalls limits before lock up. THat is why most people say stock stall is good for the turbo trucks. I disagree to some point as mine is slipping. So you go to a better quality stall convert maybe more disc. Smaller diameter converters are stronger and possibly lighter material for the size, remember billet is heavy but stronger and safer. If they let go it is nasty, I mean possible trans,floorboard, and feet damage.
Stall converters are like black magic. Even the best get sent back for a retune or full change. you can do the same.
I like a larger turbo(76/75 or bigger) and in gear longer.why I say to see the power band. You can say oh turbo is spooling at xxxxrpms and the curve is flattening out at xxxxrpms so set shift point there and when it shifts we will be right at a good rpm for the turbo. The larger tire is helps with traction but reduces the rotations per mile. 30-32" is good. I don't know the gearing of your trans but there are online calculators that will tell you wheel speed per gear.
I wouldn't read things like "rated at xxxxhp" should say rated at xxxx torque and I would guess that is flywheel power. but that's a whole different thing.
I have 6 speed, 3.42, 32" and will have a pro billet 258mm in 3000-3200rpm 76/75 billet turbo 5.3l 700-820rwhp.
The following users liked this post:
esoteric_ast (10-13-2019)
Old 12-10-2018, 07:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2FAST4U
Well your aren't wrong but it is a slang term and is used both ways. In my opinion it mean slippage or how hard(true) to the set stall it is. You will here people say it has a 1800-2000rpm stall but flashes right to 2500 with the new turbo. Meaning it was a stock stall and the increase in power is pushing that stalls limits before lock up. THat is why most people say stock stall is good for the turbo trucks. I disagree to some point as mine is slipping. So you go to a better quality stall convert maybe more disc. Smaller diameter converters are stronger and possibly lighter material for the size, remember billet is heavy but stronger and safer. If they let go it is nasty, I mean possible trans,floorboard, and feet damage.
Stall converters are like black magic. Even the best get sent back for a retune or full change. you can do the same.
I like a larger turbo(76/75 or bigger) and in gear longer.why I say to see the power band. You can say oh turbo is spooling at xxxxrpms and the curve is flattening out at xxxxrpms so set shift point there and when it shifts we will be right at a good rpm for the turbo. The larger tire is helps with traction but reduces the rotations per mile. 30-32" is good. I don't know the gearing of your trans but there are online calculators that will tell you wheel speed per gear.
I wouldn't read things like "rated at xxxxhp" should say rated at xxxx torque and I would guess that is flywheel power. but that's a whole different thing.
I have 6 speed, 3.42, 32" and will have a pro billet 258mm in 3000-3200rpm 76/75 billet turbo 5.3l 700-820rwhp.
I really appreciate your input. I am running a 7875 billet VS with a 2wd 4l80e out of a 99 Express 3500 with a 30.5" tire. I would have run a stock converter for now if the trans would have come with one. I agree about the black magic statement. I always make the comment that autos/converters were designed by aliens lol. I really am not worried about a rating on a converter but definitely dont want to buy one then "blow through" it. I do see a lot of talk of people liking the pro 258mm.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm in the middle of my sloppy build as well *see sig. i went with the circle D budget 2600-2800 converter with the optional billet back plate. circle d tech support said budget 80e converter is good to 550whp while the billet upgrade goes to 750whp.

i told them i wanted to tow/daily drive/do burnouts/and visit the track and that's the converter the pointed me to. hope this helps fellow slop!

Quick Reply: Sloppy rcsb inspired build Help!