FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

roots vs screw vs centrifugal

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 04:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There isn't much question that a propely sized turbo will make the most power. Even in the stronger streetable applications the turbo may only take away 10hp or so compared to 60 - 75 for a centrifugal supercharger...even more for roots/twin-screws. There turbo system available for my truck makes boost at only 1900 rpm and makes full boost at 2500. Coupled with a FMIC that is 98% efficient the power just can't be matched with a blower. Guy who made the kit dyno'd 425/535 @ 8psi. Almost 70hp over a centrifugal at the same pressure.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:29 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GMC_DUDE
We know that already, that's what is meant by the term *modified* roots. But a new term, *hybrid* had been added here, which has not been used before. Now "hybrid" generally means a combination of two different things, like a hybrid car is a combination of a gasoline and an electric. So my question here is: What constitutes the hybrid? I presume one part is the roots blower, modified as described above. But what is the other part?
i think you can consider the terms hybrid and modified synonymous for now
Old 02-18-2006, 04:34 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by Blown330
There isn't much question that a propely sized turbo will make the most power. Even in the stronger streetable applications the turbo may only take away 10hp or so compared to 60 - 75 for a centrifugal supercharger...even more for roots/twin-screws. There turbo system available for my truck makes boost at only 1900 rpm and makes full boost at 2500. Coupled with a FMIC that is 98% efficient the power just can't be matched with a blower. Guy who made the kit dyno'd 425/535 @ 8psi. Almost 70hp over a centrifugal at the same pressure.
pedal response will always be better with a positive displacement setup. on the street that's what it's all about.

also, where did you get that 98% I/C effiecency number from? and what type of I/C'ing are you referring too?
Old 02-18-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by moregrip
i think you can consider the terms hybrid and modified synonymous for now
Old 02-18-2006, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

That FMIC is a custom dual-pass made for the F-150's. Datalogging during dyno tuning showed near ambient temps at the throttle body. I'm working on doing some of my own datalogging with an LM-1 to figure out compressor and intercooler efficiencies for my truck.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:59 PM
what a rush!

That FMIC is a custom dual-pass made for the F-150's. Datalogging during dyno tuning showed near ambient temps at the throttle body. I'm working on doing some of my own datalogging with an LM-1 to figure out compressor and intercooler efficiencies for my truck.
so this your typical dual pass air-to-water I/C setup?
Old 02-18-2006, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jephs422
Cool! Sorry about the snarl. I'm in bed with the flu, and am a bit cantankerous.

Anyway back on topic. I looked at the options about 2 years ago, and this is my decision path. The 4.8 had OK power above 4000 RPM, but needed help in the low end. Since nearly all my driving is below 2500 RPM, that pretty much ruled out centrifugals. So my choice was Magnuson, Whipple, or Kenne Bell. At that time KB offered pretty much a blower, period. No injectors, no tune , no intercooler, etc.. Plus people were having customer support issues, so I put them at the bottom of the list. At first I was going to go with Whipple, but their piggy-back fuel enrichment system made me suspicious, and after asking their customer support a question, I was even less favorable towards them. I have heard that they have since changed, so you might want to check into them. That left Magnuson and the Radix. I won't sing their praises here, as that's been done enough elsewhere. I did have to swallow hard about coughing up $5000, but rationalized that it's better to pay a lot and get it done right the first time. It went in with only a few glitches, the worst being the fuel pump ('04 and newer trucks won't have this problem). I have been very pleased with its performance, as has nearly everyone else who has driven my truck.

At the time, STS wasn't out yet, so it didn't factor. However, I myself would still probably not go that route because: 1: I can't weld. 2: I wanted a complete kit if possible, so there would be no finger pointing if things went wrong. 3: I wanted the most low-end torque possible.

Hope this helps you in making your decision.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by moregrip
so this your typical dual pass air-to-water I/C setup?

No it's and air-to-air front mount.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:27 AM
what a rush!

No it's and air-to-air front mount.
ahh, I see. How do you get a Air to Air I/C to be 98% efficient? I ask because I have never heard of that high of an efficiency rating with this type of I/C'ing.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MoreGrip- I think that if you run a big enough air-air, on a dyno, with a big enough fan blowing on the truck during a run, on a cool day it would work.

Quick Reply: roots vs screw vs centrifugal