FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Radix 112 boost/pulley size with E85

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 05:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acethedragon
decently thick chromoly? way to heavy for performance TRUCK. need large diameter thick wall ALUMINUM or in your case i would recommend ordering a metal matrix shaft, i think thats what its called. dirt track and drag CARS use a much shorter and lighter shaft so chromoly wouldnt be an issue. your truck has a much longer shaft so critical speed comes in to play sooner. good luck with another shaft. hope its right this time. you really came out lucky this time

If it's the truck in the sig, it should only be around 37" long. When I talked with Denny's, he wouldn't do an aluminum shaft for a truck. He made me a steel shaft with lifetime warranty on the universal joints, and the shaft. He was REAL adament on getting good measurements, and also about being truthful on power numbers. He said lots of people quote lower numbers to get a cheaper shaft...........which seems awful stupid to me........but...........
Old 05-09-2011, 08:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wkdivr
How did you get your measurements for the new shaft? Truck needs to be sitting at ride height with wheels on the ground. Should only be a short shaft, too, so extra length shouldn't be a problem. Kinda looks to me that it bent before it broke, strange.
It was setting with all the wheels on the ground and I stuck the new yoke in and measured from center to center. It was 62 3/8". Its a long shaft because a 5 speed trans is shorter than an auto, and its 2 wheel drive so theres to transfer case either. And I stated I was making 500 rwhp (I told him more than I actually make on purpose) and I said I wanted to make sure it would hold up on the dyno. I tried to do the right thing and have a built shaft that could handle the dyno, hell I would have been further ahead if I just left the stocker on there! I know I did the right things on my part, he just made me a shitty shaft. Im gonna go talk to him today when I get off work and see how he wants to handle this.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Denny's shaft in my truck. It is a 3" steel nitro ready with 1350 joints. When I picked it up, there was a twisted off aluminum shaft on their counter. He said it came from a Mustang, and the owner lied about the power. I should have taken a pic of it. The weld was perfect, and the aluminum tube was tore off like it was a pop can even though the aluminum was pretty thick. I run a Denny's shaft in my car too, I will more than likely never have anyone else but them make a shaft for me. If you go on their site you can print off exactly how to measure properly.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice numbers, sorry to hear about your shaft breaking, there is something fishy about a brand new (so called built) shaft braking first time on the dyno. I am interested in what your builder has to say.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by marovetsm
It was setting with all the wheels on the ground and I stuck the new yoke in and measured from center to center. It was 62 3/8". Its a long shaft because a 5 speed trans is shorter than an auto, and its 2 wheel drive so theres to transfer case either. And I stated I was making 500 rwhp (I told him more than I actually make on purpose) and I said I wanted to make sure it would hold up on the dyno. I tried to do the right thing and have a built shaft that could handle the dyno, hell I would have been further ahead if I just left the stocker on there! I know I did the right things on my part, he just made me a shitty shaft. Im gonna go talk to him today when I get off work and see how he wants to handle this.

Oh....I forgot that you're 2wd, and a 5spd. Sounds like you did all the right ordering steps............might want to think about some driveshaft loops. Unfortunately there's no true bolt on loops for our trucks. I made my own, and fell lots safer, now. Loops front, and back.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:37 AM
Launching!

I talked to my builder last night. He was surprised it snapped and said he was gonna build me a bigger one no problem. Hes gonna go 3.5”. Maybe Im just being paranoid but I did some searching and 3” 4130 chromoly has a critical speed of about 4500rpm at a 62” length. I believe this calculation is correct because mine failed at 4400. Using that same information a 3.5” shaft at the same length would only be good till about 5200rpm. This wont work if I do a 4th gear pull (1:1) all the way to redline. The shaft needs to be good till 6000. I know I could just order on online but my builder wants to ‘make things right’ and build a new one instead of refund my money…

Originally Posted by wkdivr
I made my own, and fell lots safer, now. Loops front, and back.
What did you attach your rear loop to? Dual loops is the way to go if I have a shaft failure cuz itll just snap in the middle again cuz its so long so I need something to hold it on both ends.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here's a shitty pic of both. The back is attached to the round crossmember in front of the housing.

And the front

Old 05-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Launching!

Man that looks nice. Ill have to come up with something similar to that. I need the piece of mind, Im so paranoid I swear every time I hit the throttle Im afraid Im gonna throw another shaft lol.

EDIT: Bought a weld in loop for the front, not sure what Im gonna do in the back quite yet.

Last edited by marovetsm; 05-11-2011 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was at Denny's today so I figured I would take a pic of the twisted aluminum shaft.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Launching!

Wow. How small was that? Looks like 3"

I just talked to my builder again after work and he decided to replace mine with a 4" aluminum shaft. Should be ok since the critical speed will be around 6300rpm (which ill never hit) compared to the 4550 of my old one, which is almost exactly what it failed at. AND Im installing a loop just in case

Quick Reply: Radix 112 boost/pulley size with E85