FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Pull through or blow through MAF set up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 02:11 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The NNBS E38 VCM's don't have SD tunes available at this point, and may not for some time(if ever...)

As far as I know, they will not run without the MAF.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:26 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my bust, i didn't even notice they were nnbs. i thought those mafs could read higher than the old style. and wouldn't it be easy to just stick that thing anywhere you want. its the slide in type correct?
Old 06-01-2011, 02:56 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
The NNBS E38 VCM's don't have SD tunes available at this point, and may not for some time(if ever...)

As far as I know, they will not run without the MAF.
I can't wait until they do. Tuning for meth is damn near impossible with the MAF sensor since MAF fuels based on air mass while meth activated with boost. Can hardly roll into boost without seeing 9s AFR
Old 06-01-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TURBHOE
my bust, i didn't even notice they were nnbs. i thought those mafs could read higher than the old style. and wouldn't it be easy to just stick that thing anywhere you want. its the slide in type correct?
Yea, I have to cut it off the factory air box and put it in line somewhere. Im just trying to figure out the best place so there is the least amount of air turbulence to get the tune correct. And yes, they can read higher than the old style maf's, much higher from what Geoff has told me.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:23 PM
12 Second Truck Club

From what I've read and seen the superchargers always seem to work with Maf better than the turbo because everybody always seem to turbo blow through a Maf and suck through with supercharger. There was a lot of discussion about this back in the day and IIRC suck through was the way to go. Factory zr1 vette sucks through don't it? Factory cobalt sucks through also and it's turbo charged (newer models). In fact most factory turbo cars I can think of with a Maf all suck through.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive had 7 turbocharged eclipse's and talon's, and they are all a pull through style from the factory. Thats why I had to ask about this on here because I see so many that have it set up blow through. It would be so much easier to go pull through because i could put it almost in the same spot its in now before the turbo and not need to extend wiring to mount it before the TB. Anyone got and major reasons why it "needs" to go after the turbo? Geoff is a great tuner, and if there isnt a major problem with pull through, I dont see why it would be an issue. Someone please correct me if Im wrong here...
Old 06-01-2011, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry i wasn't paying attention either. i'm a dumb*ss when it comes to tuning. i pay someone else to do it for me.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:52 PM
12 Second Truck Club

The only thing I would recommend is to see if the Maf is like the older style one where you can cut off the temp sensor wires. That way you can put the temp sensor in the manifold to get a true intake temp reading so that the timing can work correctly and it will be beneficial if you ever run meth. Having the temp pre turbo will not be as accurate as in the manifold due to turbo heat and intercooler cooling and all that goodness. Other than that if it were me I would most Definatly go pre turbo with maf
Old 06-01-2011, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought there was SD available already for the 2010...??
Old 06-02-2011, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

99% of roots/twin screw blowers are draw through because you simply cant put it under the supercharger

For my setup, I had to pretty much invent my own wheel. Originally it had the MAF as a draw through, but it quickly went crazy and the reading were off. Moved it to blow through and it hasnt missed a beat yet

Quick Reply: Pull through or blow through MAF set up?