FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

"Power pipe" for more power???

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Power pipe" for more power???

I was just curious. I've seen a lot of guys with centrifugal superchargers add a "power pipe" (which I believe is just a larger diameter tube that runs to the intake of the supercharger). It claims to help the blower make more boost/performance without the adding of a smaller pulley. So I thought to myself that, oh well, they only work for the centrifugal superchargers, but I was searching and found that they make power pipes for the ford lightning. So, I was just curious if I can add my own "power pipe" to my sidemount magnacharger supercharger for a little more "kick", just by making the intake tube a little bigger? This may seem like a dumb idea, I guess. But I've never seen or heard anyone doing this to a sidemount magnacharger blower or even a Radix for that matter. Since the intake tube that goes into both blowers are shaped very similar. Any ideas on this, could adding a larger intake tube to my magnacharger be benificial????

Thanks
Old 11-20-2005, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone???
Old 11-20-2005, 05:29 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anything you can do to reduce the restriction into the blower will give you more power. on my old whipple set up i just cut a pile of holes into the front of the stock airbox and i picked up about 1psi.

cool air is also important. i am not sure wich is more important. the least restriction would be no intake pipeing at all but you would be grabing hot under hood air then. if you can reduce the restriction while still graping cool air then more power(boost) is likely.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:50 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I think a blower is a blower in respects to "the less intake air restriction the better. I know in my Mustang days a "power pie" was a must have.

Now the only problem is knowing if the pipe system you have that came with your blower is efficient enough. Don't most Magnacharger system benifit from an aftermarket intake pipe? If so then mod on up and do some testing for us
Old 11-20-2005, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
I think a blower is a blower in respects to "the less intake air restriction the better. I know in my Mustang days a "power pie" was a must have.

Now the only problem is knowing if the pipe system you have that came with your blower is efficient enough. Don't most Magnacharger system benifit from an aftermarket intake pipe? If so then mod on up and do some testing for us
here is what the intake tube looks like on my kit

http://www.clubavalanche.com/forums/...=63667&index=0
Old 11-20-2005, 09:01 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look exactly like the Radix intake tube. But, if you were to go with a bigger tube you still have to taper down to fit the throttle body so does it really help? The air would bottle neck at the TB. Maybe it wouldn't matter.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
Look exactly like the Radix intake tube. But, if you were to go with a bigger tube you still have to taper down to fit the throttle body so does it really help? The air would bottle neck at the TB. Maybe it wouldn't matter.
yeah, I think it may not be worth the effort, because like you said it will still have to taper down at the air filter and the throttle body.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:48 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gmc5.3L
yeah, I think it may not be worth the effort, because like you said it will still have to taper down at the air filter and the throttle body.
Bigger TB

Old 11-20-2005, 09:50 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I would have a hard time wiring my butterfly motor to that....
Old 11-20-2005, 09:55 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i absolutely hated a larger TB with my whipple. the throttle was so twitchy, sudden. jumpy that the thing was nearly unsafe to drive. it would be sweet if they could set up some kind of progresive linkage.

Quick Reply: "Power pipe" for more power???