FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

New turbo manifolds are Done....PICS.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 09:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How can I walk around work now? Ive got this raging boner!!! AHHH!
Old 07-10-2006, 07:27 PM
TECH Regular

looks pretty good man. is that 304ss? what filler rod did you use?
Old 07-10-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fullthrottledan1
looks pretty good man. is that 304ss? what filler rod did you use?

Thanks bro. They look good but I cant wait to see how they perform. Yes its 304ss but I cant remember what my filler rod was. It was a ss rod but I cant remember the number.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Regular

looks like a 308 rod. either way, looks good. Lincoln says that 304ss works best with a max of 700 degrees. My headers have little cracks forming, but i just re tig them on the truck. I think its when you get them coated that it actually makes them stronger, but havent been confirmed about it.

what did you use to make the collector?
Old 07-10-2006, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks like a 308 rod. either way, looks good. Lincoln says that 304ss works best with a max of 700 degrees. My headers have little cracks forming, but i just re tig them on the truck. I think its when you get them coated that it actually makes them stronger, but havent been confirmed about it.

what did you use to make the collector?
The collector is 304ss plate. I bought is in a 3' section 2 iches wide and 1/8" thick. They where $18 per peice. I just checked out your turbo setup it looks pretty sweat. I was concidering getting my manifolds ceramic coated.... Do you think thats agood idea. I thought about driving with them for a month or so and let everything settle/cycle then get them coated.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

coating them is a really good idea IMO. If you put them on the truck and let them settle, and see if you have any leaks, and make sure they are ok headers before spending cash on coating. that will also reduce underhood temps alot. my headers kick out a ton of heat. did you pressure test them at all? are you sure you dont have any pinhole leaks?
Old 07-10-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

coating them is a really good idea IMO. If you put them on the truck and let them settle, and see if you have any leaks, and make sure they are ok headers before spending cash on coating. that will also reduce underhood temps alot. my headers kick out a ton of heat. did you pressure test them at all? are you sure you dont have any pinhole leaks?

No I didnt pressure test them yet and I guess I need to before I spent more money that i dont have on getting them coated. Im sure it the coating will help alot with the heat and is worth the money. When you said your manifolds had small cracks forming was it around the welds or on the actual tubing???
Old 07-10-2006, 09:08 PM
TECH Resident

they look great!!
Old 07-10-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Regular

the cracks formed over the welds. Did you purge the manifolds with argon while welding them? or just welded them. sorry for all the ?'s, i just like finding out what everyone else is doing, lol
Old 07-10-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

the cracks formed over the welds. Did you purge the manifolds with argon while welding them? or just welded them. sorry for all the ?'s, i just like finding out what everyone else is doing, lol

No I didnt purge them This was my first well second set of manifolds I done but I havent learned all the secrets yet. I read somewhere the other day about purging the tubes so they dont bubble on the inside. I guess youve got some experience with tig welding.

Quick Reply: New turbo manifolds are Done....PICS.