FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Need help with ProCharger build 2002 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 01:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help with ProCharger build 2002 5.3

I have a SAS'd 2002 Silverado on 40's

SAS isn't completely done yet although will be real soon and I expect the truck to be extremely sluggish with the 40's even though I have 4.56 gears.

I plan to install a procharger. Any ideas on what I should upgrade along with this? I have a 14 bolt rear and a Dana 60 front with a limited slip, and a built monster transmission to handle a decent ammount of power.

Anything else engine wise I should upgrade for reliabillity and longevity? Do I need a boost gauge? How do I tune it? Etc. I need ALL the info I can get on thi procharger for my 5.3.

Thanks y'all!
Old 05-19-2017, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

You need lots of stuff to do forced induction.

The short of it is,

Fuel injectors, at least 50lb/hr depending on needs.
Larger fuel pump, 255lph or larger depending on goals.
2 or 3 BAR MAP sensor
Colder spark plugs with lowered gap.

The procharger itself and anything else that goes with it, like intercooler and that jazz.

A boost gauge and a wideband o2 sensor at good, the wideband is a 100% must.

Either buy EFI Live or HP Tuners and learn to tune it yourself or pay someone to tune it. You are better off ditching the MAF sensor and going straight to a speed density tune as well, so you'll want to buy a new intake air temp sensor as the factory MAF holds it and you won't need it.

The rest you really need to research this stuff, tons and tons of information out there about boosting a LS motor.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:20 PM
Teching In

Aside from sensors and spark plugs and a tune which will be efi live at my school, any structural engine modifications needed? I'm about to order the procharger. I just thought it was OK for stock engines. Other then the supporting mods you listed.

I'd like to keep the MAF and not go to speed density, I learned that MAF is more accurate.

I forgot to mention I have LT headers and High flo cats true dual 3"
Old 05-19-2017, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Using the MAP is actually better than the MAF on a P01 computer for tuning. The computer can respond better to pressure changes than quick airflow changes that take time across an air meter. You also have to deal with the MAF sensor limitations, the airflow limits in the computer for the MAF sensor are rather low and can be maxed out quickly depending on power goal.

Besides you have to go speed density to properly tune for boost anyway, the stock operation system only goes to 105kpa. An upgraded 2 or 3 BAR OS which should be available on that computer can will go to 210 or 315kpa.

Stock bottom end on the early motors is good for right around that 500-550whp, not something you are going to see with stock everything else.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Appreciate it. I spoke to procharger directly (just got off the phone) and he claimed that they're designed to run off stock tuning. Completely stock tuning and parts. They give you a new fuel pump, intercooler and procharger. Other then that everything is left stock, doesn't require a tune nor will it benefit from a tune.

I'd like to do that and avoid all the unnecessary parts although I know these sales people aren't always the most informed... so does this seem right? Thanks
Old 05-19-2017, 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds like procharger is way out in left field somewhere.

Stock 25lb/hr injectors can't support boost, stock MAP can't support boost. They must run a really low boost output to keep the factory MAF sensor within it's usable range.

I've seen calibrations from some vendors and they are pretty terrible when you compare them to calibrations done right with the right parts.

I actually had to read prochargers website to figure out how they claim some of that stuff. They give you a FMU to raise the fuel pressure to make the injectors flow more fuel. And holy jeebus do they charge a lot for a standard procharger, you could slap a TVS or even turbo for less than those cost.