FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Multiple boost recording with hpt?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 02:50 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

The one thing I see on HP tuners site but can not find on my version is this
Enhanced IO Configuration area. I see a user defined but nothing pops up like what I see on the HP site. I have a tech request sent into them to see if maybe my version does not have that. But its the PRO so I would think it should???
Old 07-26-2017, 03:11 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by TrickTurbo
If I could get some help would be great.
@ 0 sensor just hanging I see 1.88 on my meter.
15psi I show 4.36

It is a 0-15 psi meter. I did hp to see the volts swing. But to get it to show my psi. I have played with this now an hour or so. And I'm lost. Google searched. Not much I could find.
Seems it could have just set up with plug and play numbers and get the end result but I'm still missing it.

Any help you could offer?

Rick
The pressure sensor you are using is 0-15psi? I thought it was 60psi? Doesnt really matter really, all you need to know is the sensor range (15psi, 60psi, etc.), and the voltage range.

Sounds like you have a 0-4.5v (typical) sensor that goes from 0-15psi.

The transfer function is Output=Voltage*(outper per volt)+offset.

At 0psi, what is the voltage? This is the offset, which may be 0, or some very small number.

You need at least 2 points to define the "output per volt", so the easy way is to use a pressure gauge/regulator and apply something within range, like 5psi 10psi, and 15psi, and read the output voltage for all 3. You can make a chart for all of this that looks something like this

Code:
 PSI - Voltage
0 - 0.0
5 - 1.25
10 - 3.0
15 - 4.5
The example above is easy and basically you get 15psi per 4.5v, so your slope is 15/4.5=3.333psi/v.

Hptuners in the IO configuration asks for this in a stupid way IMO since they want the inverse. They want Voltage divided by the slope instead of multipled, so you take the number above (3.3333) and put it under 1, so it is (1/3.3333)=0.3.

Assuming your offset is zero, your transfer function in HPTuners will be a slope of 0.3 with an offset of 0.

Make sure you have the newest version of hptuners, and watch this video at this spot:

It is talking about a wideband, but the custom user defined thing is the same way you do this. Just every time he says "wideband" think "pressure sensor".
Old 07-26-2017, 03:36 PM
Truck Sponsor

Originally Posted by Atomic
The pressure sensor you are using is 0-15psi? I thought it was 60psi? Doesnt really matter really, all you need to know is the sensor range (15psi, 60psi, etc.), and the voltage range.

Sounds like you have a 0-4.5v (typical) sensor that goes from 0-15psi.

The transfer function is Output=Voltage*(outper per volt)+offset.

At 0psi, what is the voltage? This is the offset, which may be 0, or some very small number.

You need at least 2 points to define the "output per volt", so the easy way is to use a pressure gauge/regulator and apply something within range, like 5psi 10psi, and 15psi, and read the output voltage for all 3. You can make a chart for all of this that looks something like this

Code:
 PSI - Voltage
0 - 0.0
5 - 1.25
10 - 3.0
15 - 4.5
The example above is easy and basically you get 15psi per 4.5v, so your slope is 15/4.5=3.333psi/v.

Hptuners in the IO configuration asks for this in a stupid way IMO since they want the inverse. They want Voltage divided by the slope instead of multipled, so you take the number above (3.3333) and put it under 1, so it is (1/3.3333)=0.3.

Assuming your offset is zero, your transfer function in HPTuners will be a slope of 0.3 with an offset of 0.

Make sure you have the newest version of hptuners, and watch this video at this spot: https://youtu.be/jMalD15mOg4?t=202

It is talking about a wideband, but the custom user defined thing is the same way you do this. Just every time he says "wideband" think "pressure sensor".

Thanks been looking over that one as well.
on this sensor it is
1.88 v @ 0 psi
2.70 V @ 5psi
3.55 v @ 10psi
4.36 v @ 15psi

I had there offset on my PC but msoffice decided not to play today. and wont let me access that file.
I will doing some math and trying to figure this out. The older way of just loading numbers seemed a tad easier for the old folks like my self..LOL
Old 07-26-2017, 04:39 PM
Truck Sponsor

Ok ran those numbers did not work either. it never gets even close. I did try
.165333 0
.156 0
.155 0
0 volt for kicks and giggles .250 0 None worked.

I will keep trying if anyone has any other suggestions more then willing to try. At this point wondering if even buying the aem sensors that are listed in the program will work.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:13 PM
Truck Sponsor

Thanks Atomic and BigKid
Both very helpful.

So here was last try today.
Just looked at an aem sensor data sheet.
The cheat sheet numbers didn't
match what's in the hptuners recommendation for that sensor.

So I went off cheat sheet. And used aem data. Figure most sensors 0-15 would be close.
(Yes just a trial and guess method)
But it
Worked out.

Now I'm going to try another sensor and see what happens.

Thanks again for the help. 👍🏻
Old 07-26-2017, 06:33 PM
I have a gauge for that

This should be what you ended up with based on your numbers above.
Attached Thumbnails Multiple boost recording with hpt?-15psisensor.png  
Old 07-26-2017, 06:40 PM
Truck Sponsor

Originally Posted by Atomic
This should be what you ended up with based on your numbers above.
The first number I got for hp using cheat sheet.
2nd number show 0.

But I'll try those numbers in the morning.
Right now it looks good. A little bouncy but that could be boost supplies not steady.

Might have to get a lesson on all this math conversion.
Any thank you for the help.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

Here is another tutorial from the HPT Forums that is helpful on adding external sensors that arn't predefined...
https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...-PRO-Interface)

I was about to suggest checking to see if your sensor was one of the predefined which makes it easier but I see you've already discovered that.

Based off of the measured psi/volt numbers in post 13, I agree with Atomic's slope equation above. Use that and place "0.165816" in the first box and "-11.3315" in the second box of the Function in step 7 of the second post in the link above.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:50 PM
I have a gauge for that

Here is a spreadsheet I made that I sent to Rick if someone else has a similar issue.

What makes this all confusing is HPTuners has the slope listed as the inverse (independent variable in terms of the dependent), but doesnt do the same for the intercept. In this case, the pressure is the independent variable and voltage is the dependent.
Attached Files
File Type: xls
ProInputWorksheet.xls (49.0 KB, 22 views)