FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Mounted new Vent Can for Turbo setup...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 150 Posts

What is the point of the whole setup if the vent can is free to allow pressurized crankcase fumes to vent into the atmosphere?
Old 07-04-2007, 05:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found them on eBay, so you just drilled and tapped it then.
Thanks.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
What is the point of the whole setup if the vent can is free to allow pressurized crankcase fumes to vent into the atmosphere?
The point is to pull on the crankcase immediately after lifting and during normal driving conditions. My truck was tuned with this "vacuum leak" so, I am OK with that. The misty oil wipped up, along with the exhaust gas blowby, will then be sucked into the catch can... instead of continuing on out of the vent filter. Under normal driving conditions the engine still wips up oil mist and if the crankcase is vented it will foul the filter quicker and perhaps the foul smell will make it to the cabin. Thats the theory at least. My setup seems to be working very well. No oily smell in the truck after lift and the vent filter appears to be staying clean. I suppose if I didn't care about the smell I would vent both valve covers and remove the PCV system altogether like many have done...

Tim, yes, just drilled and tapped... with a 3/4 NPT. The tap requires a 59/64" drill bit. I used a 15/16" and it worked well. I do recommend using a drill press with a drill bit that big... to help keep the hole straight.

Bill
Old 07-04-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 150 Posts

Thanks. I like your system, and I needed to fully understand its operation. I am planning changes to mine soon.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

hey bill do you have a part number for that moroso can? how much was it if you dont mind me asking?
Old 07-11-2007, 08:15 PM

MOR-85465 - $76.95 + shipping

Bill
Old 07-21-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

well bill i just did the same exact thing , i have a moroso vent can coming off my oil cap to a braided hose. i did it with a different fitting though so it has a tighter 90 .i also found that my truck has a something in the way where your can is mounted so i mounted it on the outside of the frame, the tire almost rubs on it but just barely clears it. i am also running a pcv catch can on the pcv system ( two valve covers t'ed in to the can then out the can to the intake pre blower). hopefully this set up works good and doesent let me get any more oil in my intake.

is there any way this is hard on the engine or will it hurt horspower? weeing as how pretty much the pcv system is sucking through one valve cover sucking through the filter on the other cover. so its like it just sucking air through the system all of the time.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:55 PM

I can't see where it would hurt horsepower wise. I would recommend, however, that if you change around the PCV setup that your tuner is given a heads up. He may want to check to make sure everything is OK. Thats what I did... and all was good for me. Its just never hurts to be extra careful.
I am very happy with my setup. I tell ya... that Krank Vent (check valve) in line with my PCV catch can seems to really do wonders. Can anybody else hold there thumb over a valve cover port and draw enough vacuum to make the main seals squeal? I don't know if its the cracking pressure / response of the Krank Vent or if its just a motor that was "built after 1st coffee break"... or my case after Siesta

Bill
Old 08-11-2007, 08:21 PM

I wanted to give you guys a quick update on my setup...

On around 6/27 I installed my bigger breather can setup and all was good. Keep in mind I had finished my tune. Over time I started feeling hesitation during normal driving conditions. Under wide open throttle all was good. It got so bad within the last week or 2 that I was popping P0171 and P0174 Lean codes... and if conditions were right it would send the PCM into Reduced Power mode. WTF??!! I thought maybe the O2's were going out... but they are switching just fine.
Well, I did some logging and emailed it to my tuner. He's like... WTF... "your trims are F'd... lean. What did you change he asked. ALL I did was add the vent can with the larger 3/4" ID hose from the oil fill cap. Before I had it rigged with a 3/8" setup. Well, I am running my catch can with a Krank Vent check valve. I am so proud that my motor sucks serious vacuum at idle. But I am not thinking about the consequences of how the larger vent can setup would affect the tune. So I started having all these tune drivability problems. I tell him what I've done and he's like... you can't screw with PCV and expect no issues. It wreaks havoc on the MAF table.

So, my suggestion is to you guys...

Don't **** with ANYTHING after your tuner is done! PERIOD! If you start messing around with ****... you MUST let him know BEFORE you start wrenching... otherwsie your **** may not run right afterwards. NO CHANGE IS INNOCUOUS (harmless)! All I did was open up the crankcase breathing capability. What I did was increase an already tuned in vacuum LEAK.

My tuner told me to get rid of the catch can PCV setup and just run a crank case breather. Less headaches for both of us. I guess I am up for less headaches. And here I was thinking I could have a catch can to pull a vacuum after a boost condition to pull the gasses into the intake versus smelling them in the cabin. With my breather can located low on the frame and the PCV completely capped off I still did not smell crank case gasses after lift when my tuner was done fixing me up today.

I remember Slowhawk telling us that he pulls the PCV and doesn't screw with it anymore. I didn't look at it from a tuners perspective.... now I do. I am learning

Bill
Old 08-11-2007, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

thats weird. good thing i will be SD soon.

Quick Reply: Mounted new Vent Can for Turbo setup...