FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Magnacharger Broke Tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 09:10 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
I am here, even I need a day off every once and a while.
Still waiting on mine.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:14 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
Still waiting on mine.

both of you guys call in the morning. I will take care of it myself insted of the CS dept.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:16 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found my other half in the bottom plastic cover under the Rad. (After I rode my bike back to the spot and searched for it ) I swapped pulleys because the Dayco comes with a bigger/smooth pulley. I was thinking of taking the bigger one and making it the new idler pulley below the nose of the S/C. Might provide more belt wrap in the "power" pulley

Upon further inspection of the belt that snapped, it was cracked all over and pretty much shot to hell. I bought it used from a member on this board who said it had less than 10K miles on it. Learned my lesson...only buy new belts and inspect them once in awhile I'm about 99% positive when the belt broke, all the tension came off and the pulley snapped back and hit the stop, and snapped like a twig. I did the same thing as KYSilverado, punched it, the tires broke loose and I let out and I had no power steering. I was real close to the house so I just continued the 1/8 mile until I got in the driveway.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine didnt break but the idler pushed back and stuck in that pos. causing the belt to be loose...took my hand and pushed on it a little and it snapped back into pos..
Old 12-28-2005, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just wanted to drop a note and give props to Brian and Magnacharger. A new tensioner is on its way. Thanks for the professional and prompt turnaround. :Thumb:
Old 12-28-2005, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I broke my tensioner pully too. But replaced it with an alluminum one when I did Moregrip's pully mod.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:15 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderwagen
I broke my tensioner pully too. But replaced it with an alluminum one when I did Moregrip's pully mod.
coolness, which aluminum pulley did you go with? Any pics of your pulleys?
Old 12-29-2005, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

The pulley on mind did't break. Until I ran over it The aluminum arm of the tensioner is what snapped.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Got home today for a business trip and the assy from Magnacharger is here. I had bought the the wrong pulley. The Dayco 89015 pulley is to small. The 89222 tensioner assy from Dayco is correct. I'm gonna find the right pulley so I will have a spare. Will post up the right Dayco pulley once I know. BlownChevy this might be useful info to the guys here if you could post the correct Dayco Pulley #?
Old 01-07-2006, 12:03 AM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The correct part number for the tensioner is 89222 (Dayco)

The correct part number for the pulley you will need to swap onto the new tensioner is 89009 (76mm 6 Groove with flange)

I know all this because.....
I BROKE THE FU**ING THING AGAIN TODAY!!!! Called a ride, found the parts at an Advanced in the next town and put it back together. It shredded part of my belt but not to the point of unusable. Guess I'm gonna go get a new belt tomorrow. I might buy another one and keep it in the truck since this seems to be a trend. Same situation, I floored it, let up and ....no power steering. Pop hood, broke tensioner laying under radiator, pulley chewed up from hitting something under the hood and a belt that needs replaced. Wonder if I could wrap a 16 gauge piece of sheet metal around the arm to reinforce it. I don't know if its snapping due to torque or the belt is coming off and releasing the tension and it snaps itself in half from the backlash. Any ideas? The wife and dog were with me and she called one of her girlfriends to get us. So, I'll never hear the end of this....."If you'd leave the stupid truck alone we wouldn't have these problems" Blah Blah Blah...words words words...

Last edited by 1SlowHoe; 01-07-2006 at 12:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Magnacharger Broke Tensioner