FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Launching under boost, Brakes will not hold.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by quicksilverado
A 2-step plugs into the wiring harness between the pcm and the coil packs. You set it to a specific rpm. Once the rpm is set you then stand on the brakes and hit a button to engage the 2-step. You then put the gas to the floor. When the rpms hit the preset, it will rev to that point and stay there and the motor fires on every other cylinder and then alternates to every other cylinder. When you release the brakes the engine begins to fire on all cylinders. At this point if you are on slicks hang on because its like being shot out of a cannon. Hope that helps. I am currently launching at 2800 rpm.
Thanks for the explaination. But how do you know what rpm to choose. It seems no matter what you have the 2-step set to, your stall will still be a limiting factor. Since the engine is making less torque not firing on all cylinders and hence more load, I would imagine it would stall even lower.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zippy
if you're using the right converter all the 2 step is going to do for you is make your launch more consitant. the idea behind the 2 step is to be able to go wide open at a low rpm. you'll get alot of air moving through the engine with the throttle blade wide open allowing more to get out the exhaust and therefore more spool. to me the only good way is with the correct converter or a transbrake if you are running that type of converter. the easiest way is to go off idle with a progressive nitrous system coming off the line with a 150 shot and fading to a 75 shot.
It definately makes it easier at the line. You don't have to try and watch the boost and rpms while trying to keep an eye on the light. It makes it easy to determine what rpm is best for launching at. You just turn it up or down and see how it affects your 60' time. Its much cheaper than a nitrous set up.

Last edited by quicksilverado; 01-06-2006 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
Thanks for the explaination. But how do you know what rpm to choose. It seems no matter what you have the 2-step set to, your stall will still be a limiting factor. Since the engine is making less torque not firing on all cylinders and hence more load, I would imagine it would stall even lower.
I played with mine at the track and made about 6 passes to see what rpm worked the best. My stall is rated for 2800 rpm, but once I start building boost it will stall much higher. Its been as high as 3600 rpm.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by zippy
if you're using the right converter all the 2 step is going to do for you is make your launch more consitant.
I agree, and your true stall speed depends on hp levels as well. Even though a converter may be rated at 2800 or 3000 there will be a difference in actual stall between a 300hp motor and a 500hp motor.

The bad part is things that work well at the track may not be the best for the street. I like a t-brake, but to my knowledge none are available for the 4l80e.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Where pretell, does one get a 2-step? I looked at MSD's site, and their 2 and 3-steps don't exactly seem to fit the bill.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Where pretell, does one get a 2-step? I looked at MSD's site, and their 2 and 3-steps don't exactly seem to fit the bill.
Harlan used to make them. They pop up from time totime in the f/s section. He is gonna start making them again soon.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

He has a new design that may be out if Feb. I got an email from him a couple of days ago about it. No set price yet, but new design should be even better than the old.

Last edited by trtturbo; 01-09-2006 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:42 AM
Staging Lane

You might try some pads that are a softer compound, they will wear out quicker but should give you more grip. I'm not familiar with your year truck, but if you have shoes on the rear you could also try running two lead shoes of softer compound on both sides. This would mean you would have to buy two sets of rear shoes to get the four lead shoes, but it would increase your brake shoe area by about a third....
Old 01-08-2006, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

FWIW, 2-steps are not allowed in most classes I race at the strip.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:01 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's what I'm saying....just get a looser converter.

My stall is loose, but with my forcing tables all changed to help slip during lock-up, my stall speed has went down. I just thought there was a easy ABS solution.

Quick Reply: Launching under boost, Brakes will not hold.