FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

kenne bell, whipple, or magnacharger?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went the whipple route. Never would I advise it. I wasted a ton of money on it. TVS maggie would be my only choice for a supercharger. I finally got some power when I went turbo.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go with magnacharger, great on every aspect, btw KB customer service just sucks
Old 07-27-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Has anyone actually done a KB or Whipple that worked well? I keep hearing how they are a superior blower, but I haven't seen one in person. I guess maybe they are superior on paper or in conversation. If you want to write about or talk about blowers, those "superior" blowers might just be the way to go. If you want one that runs and runs well, the maggie would likely be a better choice.

I have two maggies. One on a truck that's pretty quick. actually works for a living, and has been flawless for thousands of miles. The other on a vette that's insanely (at least to me) fast and has also been flawless for only about a thousand miles. Miles are racking up on the vette pretty quick though. Now, if I can just figger out a way to put a trailer hitch on the vette.....
Old 08-07-2009, 11:33 AM
8 Second Club

I got a used whipple for $ 1000. Added injectors and a MSD boost a pump. Dumped the electronic crap and tuned it with HPtuners. 110 HP gain on a conservative tune at 89 octane at 7 pounds on a 4.8. Now, in the Texas summer, IATs are 140 degrees post blower. I plan to fix this with meth or an intercooler.
The main thing that sucks on these is the eletronics. Easy fix. Then the lack of intercooling.
But I have 20K miles on this unit now with no issues. Have not even thrown a belt.
I like the fact that as soon as I am on the gas, I am at max boost.
Good bang for the buck cause you can pick them up cheap and make them work.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Launching!

magnachargers work great
Old 08-07-2009, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AgFormula02
I got a used whipple for $ 1000. Added injectors and a MSD boost a pump. Dumped the electronic crap and tuned it with HPtuners. 110 HP gain on a conservative tune at 89 octane at 7 pounds on a 4.8. Now, in the Texas summer, IATs are 140 degrees post blower. I plan to fix this with meth or an intercooler.
The main thing that sucks on these is the eletronics. Easy fix. Then the lack of intercooling.
But I have 20K miles on this unit now with no issues. Have not even thrown a belt.
I like the fact that as soon as I am on the gas, I am at max boost.
Good bang for the buck cause you can pick them up cheap and make them work.
When you get a maggie intercooled you will be shocked at how much better it is. 4.8s work best with a whipple over 5.3 or 6.0.
Nitrous makes a really good intercooler.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

Since I am running a KB on my truck, here is my take on the OP's question and comments made... KB's customer service is not as bad a their internet reputation leads you to believe. I have had one problem with my unit and they were easy to talk to, asked me to send the unit in, fixed it free of charge and turned it around in under a week. As to the 'customization' comment, I partially agree. KB's kit for the truck is actually a kit designed for the Corvette that has a longer snout to line up with truck accs. The inlet is on the wrong side so you have to fab up something since I feel KB's intake for the trucks is less than ideal. Other than that, their kit is very complete. I chose the tuner kit but they are available with injectors and tuning. The only other flaw is see with the design of the KB kit is the location of the IAT sensor. It's location/design yields false IAT readings as it really is reading the temp of the lower manifold (I have concluded this with lots of testing). Now for some history. I chose the KB 2.8L based on the goals and power level I wanted to reach with my truck. At the time, it was the only positive displacement supercharger for truck format that could support over 600whp. Now with the TVS units from Magnacharger, there are other options if this is the amount of power you wish to achieve. Magnacharger does very well at designing application specific kits. Truth be told, I am actually keeping a close eye on the classifieds for a Radix MP112 kit for my daily driven Tahoe due to it being able to make the low end, part throttle torque I need in an easy to install low maintenance package.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by old motorhead
Has anyone actually done a KB or Whipple that worked well? I keep hearing how they are a superior blower, but I haven't seen one in person. I guess maybe they are superior on paper or in conversation. If you want to write about or talk about blowers, those "superior" blowers might just be the way to go. If you want one that runs and runs well, the maggie would likely be a better choice.

I have two maggies. One on a truck that's pretty quick. actually works for a living, and has been flawless for thousands of miles. The other on a vette that's insanely (at least to me) fast and has also been flawless for only about a thousand miles. Miles are racking up on the vette pretty quick though. Now, if I can just figger out a way to put a trailer hitch on the vette.....
My whipple works well.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Teching In

i just dropped an 07's lq4 with a used whipple into my rcsb and it runs like a raped ape. it honestly wasn't terrible to get it going. the guys at whipple were very helpful with answering any questions. install was a doozie. i mean this was done in i'd say...3 hours. no whippletronics. injectors and nelson tune. what numbers should i be seeing with a stock lq4 with a whipple @5.5psi?
Old 08-21-2009, 11:04 PM
TECH Resident

listen, here is the way i see it. the maggies r the only supercharger that doesnt void ur factory warranty. to me that says its a quality product with great consistency...