FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

KB front mount limits......

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 08:23 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks like I won't have to worry about anything like this happening, I'm just a lil guy on about 10psi
Old 10-01-2008, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OnyxSilveradoSS
it takes ***** to post results like this when a fellow member made the parts...But I bet the kits will get better with your testing...
but like he said...it's not designed for that hi of boost...you could prolly run 6 to 11 pounds on it all year long with no issues...
Old 10-01-2008, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well as a fabricator and welder I would have to say that from the pics it broke just below the weld which would mean that the weld was likely a bit hot a undercut a bit. No disrespect to KB intended at all. There will always be some occasional issues with part regardless of the manufacter/seller. While I have no personal Experience with KB's parts I'm sure as a respected member of this forum he will do what he can to make things right and I'm sure this is a isolated incident that most people who have purchased his parts ca attest to.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:40 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bansheerider44
yes sir, I have. he said "Thats really more than this kit is designed to handle"
I think Kyle is a stand up guy, and will stand behind it if you don't alienate him with your post. If it were me I would of probably seen If I could get him to do anything about it before I posted that. What turbo are you running?
Old 10-01-2008, 09:28 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Sorry to hear about that, Im sure he will take care of you on that.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

I agree, Kyle is a stand up guy. I did contact him, and this is not to alienate anyone. This is just what I posted, Information for anyone planning to run high boost. I knew I was planning high boost when I bought the kit, If I thought it wouldnt last I might have tried a different kit. This is for information not to bash. It would probably live at 5 or 10 psi forever, I dont know. I started with 15 psi. and have goals of 20+ psi.
Im running a GTK850 Turbonetics now, and have a GTK1000 that Im about to put on in its place.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

whats ur best 1/4 run ??
Old 10-01-2008, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gtosilverado
whats ur best 1/4 run ??
im having some tranny issues that im working out, but so far with it not shifting under power and loosing boost between shifts i have some low 12 sec passes at around 120 mph.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:41 AM
TECH Veteran

You're running 19psi of boost, but what is your exhaust back pressure? That has more to do with why the hot parts failed. If you have a tiny exhaust housing on there with a restrictive exhuast post turbo (dp, tailpipe, muffler etc), it will cause a ton of backpressure. I'm wondering if you need more of a flex joint in there to allow for the amount of heat you're throwing at it. The way it broke looks like it was loaded and not from internal pressure. Its hard to say though from the pic.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

He did contact me before he posted and I offered to build him a new stainless crossover for only the cost of materials. The only down side is that the crossover needs to be fitted to the manifold that it was built for so the V-band will line up. Every kit is a little bit different and fit on a V-band is important for sealing.

My speculation on what happened, is at 19 lbs of boost on this type of setup is probable some where in the neighborhood of 3 to1 back pressure meaning there is some where around 60psi in that pipe and generates a TON of heat very quickly. The area where is failed is especially a hot spot coming right off the manifolds and probable turns bight red in a hurry. That's just more stress then the steel can handle I would have to guess.

I'm running the EXACT same crossover on my truck for over a year not and have ran up to 15 psi and it's still hold fine.

Quick Reply: KB front mount limits......