PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   FORCED INDUCTION (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/forced-induction-159/)
-   -   Ice in the Radix tank or bigger tank? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/forced-induction-159/ice-radix-tank-bigger-tank-362291/)

F8L Z71 03-30-2006 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Why don't you just by pass the heater core hoses on the motor (you don't need heat in Cali anyway ;)) and then run the lines form the Radix to thought the heater core on the truck. Turning the heater to hot and the A/c on will cool the water in the heater core to about 40* or so. You would need a catch can to catch the condensation drip from the A/C, so the track officials don't get made, but that shouldn't be to much of a problem.

I been thinking of making up a kit for the Radix guys that with the flip of a switch would let you switch back and forth between the stock heat exchanger and the trucks heater core using some electrical solenoid valves if there was enough fo a demand for it.

That sounds kinda wild. Never really heard of doing that before. So you're saying do that and still keep the rest of the Radix system intact basically?

Blow03SS 03-30-2006 05:30 PM

Im a little out of the box here but I use a Vortech blower and Im thinking about adding a 3 gallon fuel cell in place of where the factory airfilter sits.

Blow03SS 03-30-2006 05:30 PM

Maybe fill it half way with fuel foam so you can pack the top side of it with ice???

BlownChevy 03-30-2006 05:31 PM

Why switch to the heater core?? :confused:

kbracing96 03-30-2006 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
Why switch to the heater core?? :confused:

To take advantage of the A/C cooling already on the truck.

I wouldn't think you would need any part of the stock radix H/E in the loop, just pump and internal H/E in the radix, maybe the reservoir tank, just for some added capacity. This way with the truck idling and the heater on high with the A/C turned on you would be cooling the fluid down to around 40* or so using a cooling system that already on your truck.

TURBHOE 03-30-2006 06:29 PM

this doesn't make since to me because if this was the case your eng coolant temp wouldn't be 195 or so it would be 40 how does it cool you heater core down cooler than your eng? if it does work oh does the a/c keep the heater core cool but not the eng?? or does it block off the water from the eng when the temp selector is on cold and so that would put it in its own systm letting the a/c cool the heater core and the eng not effect it so what your saying is hook the i/c pump to the heater core and block of the eng coolant hose to it then let the i/c run its water through there witch you have to have it set on full hot with a/c on or maybe deffrost. am i getting this right? never really sat and thought how the a/c part work.

BADMOFO 03-30-2006 07:57 PM

This is kinda what they were planning for the Next Gen Lightning, before they scrapped the project.

BADMOFO 03-30-2006 08:00 PM

Cool Technology Takes Power to New Levels:
Coletti’s team fit the SVT Lightning concept with an all-aluminum, 5.4-liter DOHC supercharged and intercooled V-8 engine conservatively rated at 500 horsepower and 500 foot pounds of torque (SAE net). And while they were at it, they invented and patented a speed secret for those times when even that much power just isn’t enough.

Ford’s patented SuperCooler technology cleverly provides a special burst of power for the SVT Lightning concept. Traditional intercoolers dissipate heat from the supercharged air by circulating coolant through a front-mounted, air-cooled radiator. With the SuperCooler system, the vehicle’s air conditioning system is used to chill a small storage tank of coolant to about 30 degrees Fahrenheit.

On demand, the SuperCooler system switches the intercooler flow from its normal circulation and dumps the chilled coolant into the engine’s intercooler. In turn, the intercooler dissipates up to 20 percent more heat from the charge air – resulting in a denser air charge.

A green light on the instrument panel indicates the system’s readiness. SuperCooler is activated automatically when the driver depresses the accelerator to a wide-open-throttle position.

“This technology plays directly into the hands of the enthusiast,” Coletti says. “The SuperCooler provides the edge for the driver, and it is done simply by taking advantage of the hardware that already exists in the vehicle.”

As a result of this cool technology, the SVT Lighting concept can give its driver as much as 50 transient horsepower for short bursts of 30-45 seconds and regenerate within 2 minutes under normal driving conditions. While its effect is similar to that of an aftermarket nitrous oxide system, the SuperCooler is completely self-contained, environmentally friendly and regenerative.

The SVT Lightning concept engine features a Lysholm, screw-type supercharger, paired with both an intercooler and the new SuperCooler system. The 32-valve, double-overhead-cam powerplant boasts Manley connecting rods, two fuel injectors per cylinder and high-performance heads similar to those on the limited-edition 2000 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra R.

BlownChevy 03-30-2006 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by kbracing96
To take advantage of the A/C cooling already on the truck.

I wouldn't think you would need any part of the stock radix H/E in the loop, just pump and internal H/E in the radix, maybe the reservoir tank, just for some added capacity. This way with the truck idling and the heater on high with the A/C turned on you would be cooling the fluid down to around 40* or so using a cooling system that already on your truck.

The A/C has nothing to do with the Heater core though. If it did that would be awsome.

There was a company making a kit that worked with the A/C, I met with the guy and did not like what I saw.....Just was not complete enough as far as I am concerned.

Bowtie70SS 03-30-2006 08:11 PM

It seems like you could make a coil of 1/2 inch (or whatever size it is) tubing and put it in the intercooler tank. Then you could use compression fittings to put it in line with the low pressure side of the A/C hose and Voila! With the A/C on it would cool the water. I know you could get copper or aluminum tubing from an HVAC supply store. Then at the track you could run the A/C on the way back the return road and have it nice and chilly by the time you got back to the line. That way you wouldn't need a complicated switching system for the pump. Just a thought...I wish I could pull it together though, I could probably sell 50 of them. Later

Dave