FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Horse power vs. Suspension = ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Horse power vs. Suspension = ?

As the truck is coming together I relise it's time to tackle the suspension. I am completely clueless on this. My goal is 800 rwhp minimum. I originally wanted to drop the truck I think it looks pretty cool. My wife who cares very little about what I do to my truck says absolutely not! No room for discussion on this a truck should look like a truck. Good news is she decided I should lift it and gave me the go ahead. Funds now available for some suspension work. So help me out I want the truck to handle as best as possible. What are your suggestions on parts, brands, and so on.

I want a 4" to 6" lift. I will probably go with 33" tires as a max size seems like a lot of power loss in big tires. Let me know what your opinion is on that.
Coil overs I'm guessing are good way to go. I really don't know what else can be done to make the truck handle well with my hp goals. Leaving it stock hight is also an option if lifting destroys handling. I do not have a budget but thinking around 5 grand if necessary. I want to do it right the first time so let me know if the budget is close or not. Thanks for any help.

09 nnbs ccsb. 5.7 (5.3 bored out to 3.898)with forged pistons/rods triple 12 cam 76/75 turbo 4.10 gears 6l80 2800 triple disc stall. just some of the specs.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you have a lot of $ invested to make the truck faster. If leaving the height alone is an option, that's probably worth strongly considering; I can't see how lifting the truck will make it anything other than slower.

Food for thought: a nice leveling kit gives some of the appearance of a lift and leaves a lot of $ to spend on other items like traction bars, brakes, etc. Also doesn't change the factory geometry too much. Beyond that, you're a bit out of my wheelhouse(never had a lifted, 800rwhp truck) but it occurs to me most lifted suspension systems are going to be geared more toward ground clearance and other off-road benefits.

​​​​​​​FWIW, I went with the Bilstein leveling struts on my 14 instead of the cheaper spacers, and I am glad I spent the extra money. The truck rode and handled better which was unexpected. Truck would handle even better lowered but I'm going for a sleeper-ish look.

Last edited by Mercier; 02-18-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Agreed, the more you lift the truck and the bigger the tires you put on the harder it will be to make the power you want. You will have way more unsprung mass to move around.

It will handle worse with a lift too, the center of gravity will always be worse than a factory height truck.

Staying factory height with traction bars or something like that with stock size tires will handle the best and be the best way to make the power you want.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Have you shown your wife pics of a mild drop 2/3 or 2/4?

My wife tells me I can't lower my trucks too...she gets over it.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mercier
Sounds like you have a lot of $ invested to make the truck faster. If leaving the height alone is an option, that's probably worth strongly considering; I can't see how lifting the truck will make it anything other than slower.

Food for thought: a nice leveling kit gives some of the appearance of a lift and leaves a lot of $ to spend on other items like traction bars, brakes, etc. Also doesn't change the factory geometry too much. Beyond that, you're a bit out of my wheelhouse(never had a lifted, 800rwhp truck) but it occurs to me most lifted suspension systems are going to be geared more toward ground clearance and other off-road benefits.

​​​​​​​FWIW, I went with the Bilstein leveling struts on my 14 instead of the cheaper spacers, and I am glad I spent the extra money. The truck rode and handled better which was unexpected. Truck would handle even better lowered but I'm going for a sleeper-ish look.
I currently have the cheap leveling kit I like the way it looks for sure but maybe I will put a set of coil overs on it to level it out and get rid of the cheap spacers.

Originally Posted by FFDP
Agreed, the more you lift the truck and the bigger the tires you put on the harder it will be to make the power you want. You will have way more unsprung mass to move around.

It will handle worse with a lift too, the center of gravity will always be worse than a factory height truck.

Staying factory height with traction bars or something like that with stock size tires will handle the best and be the best way to make the power you want.
Looks like traction bars are something to look into.

Originally Posted by Feed
Have you shown your wife pics of a mild drop 2/3 or 2/4?

My wife tells me I can't lower my trucks too...she gets over it.
Other then a lower center of gravity does lowering gain you much? Or does it cause more issues with the geometry of things?

So I think stock hight or possible small drop ( if there are gains to be had by it) will be the way to go. Ill check into traction bars. What do you think about coil overs?
Old 02-18-2018, 10:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

While I agree lifted trucks look cool for sure I am in favor of the sleeper look. If it's not for function its too much "look at me" for my liking. My truck is not high hp but is a ton of fun when I kill muscle cars from a dig. It looks and sounds bone stock at least until I nail it...just like I like it! Leave it alone is my vote. Congrats on a real runner!
Old 02-18-2018, 11:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ZO6Ted
While I agree lifted trucks look cool for sure I am in favor of the sleeper look. If it's not for function its too much "look at me" for my liking. My truck is not high hp but is a ton of fun when I kill muscle cars from a dig. It looks and sounds bone stock at least until I nail it...just like I like it! Leave it alone is my vote. Congrats on a real runner!
I am leaning toward leaving it alone and just upgrading to better suspension parts. Unfortunately the truck is still in pieces but hopefully it will run soon.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:49 PM
TECH Resident

Traction bars like calTracs CalTracs 3400 C1500 99-15 Standard 3-hole [3400 C1500 99-15 Standard 3-hole] - $369.00 : The Leader In Leaf Spring Innovation, - Calvert Racing or BDS Search For traction | BDS Suspension
These seem pretty different in design and price would either be a good choice for a stock hight truck. I have heard of caltracs before but its usually with guys who are lowering there trucks. Also could go with a fixed bar.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

I just have headers and a tune on my denali so I don't have any where near the HP ya'll have. But I do have a 2.5 leveling kit up front and a 1.5" body lift for 4" total.

As mechanically inclined as you are it would be nothing to slap a rough country 1.5 body lift on for 150 bucks. Then with the leveling kit you already have, you get the 4" your looking for with out messing every thing up with a huge lift.

Zone Offroad 1-1/2" Body Lift Kit C9150

1.25in Body Lift Kit for 07-13 Chevy / GMC 1500 Pickup [RC701] | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

I can post pics of mine with 22x10 and 33" if you want.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Are you planing to use the 4wd on the street for traction? If so, skip the traction bars and lower it a little. You need to keep the front axle shafts and tie rods as flat as possible or it will jump all over the place when you try to do a 4wd launch as the front wheels toe in a TON when you have a bunch of angle in the driveline components.

If you're set on lifting it, then you need a lift kit with a front axle drop to keep your axles as flat as possible.

If you're going to get traction bars anyway, get the VAS traction bars. Best bang for the buck and he's my buddy, lol.

Quick Reply: Horse power vs. Suspension = ?