PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   FORCED INDUCTION (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/forced-induction-159/)
-   -   High intake temps, whats too high ? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/forced-induction-159/high-intake-temps-whats-too-high-502216/)

03LQ9 05-23-2012 11:28 AM

From all the reading I've done, it seems 10psi and a safe tune is for daily driving, LOL.

nonnieselman: did the lag differ after putting the intercooler on ? When its 50F here there is no lag but when it gets into the 80s the lag gets pretty noticeable with the iat's cruising at 115F. I'm thinking with an intercooler it might spool a bit quicker with the colder iat's even though there is allot more added volume ?

idahoblkss 05-23-2012 12:31 PM

you need to get a good front mount on that thing, your leaving free hp on the ground with those temps.

nonnieselman 05-23-2012 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by 03LQ9 (Post 4926652)
From all the reading I've done, it seems 10psi and a safe tune is for daily driving, LOL.

nonnieselman: did the lag differ after putting the intercooler on ? When its 50F here there is no lag but when it gets into the 80s the lag gets pretty noticeable with the iat's cruising at 115F. I'm thinking with an intercooler it might spool a bit quicker with the colder iat's even though there is allot more added volume ?

I only drove it a couple days like that.. then i saw the IATs so i went home and put the IC on.

I never noticed any difference. there was always lag :bang:

reese'91 05-23-2012 01:11 PM

Well thats good to here i plan on runing 3-4 psi at all times and pulling my travel trailer. So mabey i will get some life out of the engine at that low psi and like 8-10psi showing off around town and stomping my buddys. Since the pros say it can handle 10 psi no problem. I live at the far northeast corner of louisiana who is a experienced F.I. tuner within 4hrs of that area?

nonnieselman 05-23-2012 01:21 PM

I towed alot on 6psi, raced on 6psi, 9psi, and even went thru about 20 bottles of nitrous on 6psi and 50 shot.
If the tune is good, then the engine will last a long time.
my 6.0 has about 50k miles on it boosted, and 25k on it N/a since i got it.

Go ahead and buy your own tuning software, your goin to wish you did before long.

reese'91 05-23-2012 01:21 PM

What size intercooler are you running. My intercooler is quite smaller than the average front mount turbo set up because im going to be running a rearmount and didnt think a entercooler was even nessacery at low boost but now that the 10psi is messing with my head im concerned my 12x14 2-3/4 inlet/outlet one is to small?

reese'91 05-23-2012 01:24 PM

Ive thought of getting my own software because i already have one custom tune and after one dyno tune to set the turbo up i will have been able to bought my own but i would like some one with experience to start it off

nonnieselman 05-23-2012 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by reese'91 (Post 4926710)
What size intercooler are you running. My intercooler is quite smaller than the average front mount turbo set up because im going to be running a rearmount and didnt think a entercooler was even nessacery at low boost but now that the 10psi is messing with my head im concerned my 12x14 2-3/4 inlet/outlet one is to small?

Originally Posted by reese'91 (Post 4926711)
Ive thought of getting my own software because i already have one custom tune and after one dyno tune to set the turbo up i will have been able to bought my own but i would like some one with experience to start it off

i ran a Water/air intercooler.

pm sent

o2camaross 05-23-2012 02:07 PM

You need a bigger intercooler for sure. And my truck was tuned by Todd @ Bluethunder2 in Longbow Texas. He does great work and I daily drive it on 10psi

03LQ9 05-23-2012 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by nonnieselman (Post 4926684)
I only drove it a couple days like that.. then i saw the IATs so i went home and put the IC on.

I never noticed any difference. there was always lag :bang:

Before I heat wrapped the pipes and turbo I was getting 4psi in 1st and 8 in 2nd gear. Now with the wrapped pipes it hits 6psi in first and goes right to 10 when it shifts into 2nd and holds there. The heat wrap really helped with the lag.