FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Here goes another which FI/Eng combo debate....

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here goes another which FI/Eng combo debate....

Ok, I've read tons of good debates on this subject and even had some threads about it, but I'm still over the page on which direction to go now that I'm almost there.

Basically, I have 163,000 miles on my current setup and it is not long for this world. I want to continue to drive my truck year round and use it. I also want it to run 10's (no nitrous). That may be a stretch while keeping its utility/reliability, but I think it is possible----worst case a pulley change or boost controller tweak when I want to turn it up or down. Back to reality, I would probably be happy with low 11's (mid 11's in summer) while staying within some semblance of a budget. 2 areas I'm battling around:

1. Engine

If I rebuild it, it would probably make sense to do the stroker (408 more then likely).

Flip side, I could just throw a good used 6.0 in it. There have been a ton of stock 6.0's (maybe with good head gaskets/bolts) running fast with turbos........

2. Power adder

I like both so that is a non-issue. I think the turbo will get me there easier and will be more flexible for my needs. My wife has an Ecoboost equipped vehicle and I must say I really like the way it drives.....I have a great fab guy for the turbo kit so I'm leaning that way right now.

Thoughts, experiences, feedback? Thanks.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:01 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's going to take alot of power to get that heavy SSS down the track in the 10's. Large cubes and a turbo are your best bet for sure. Don't forget and 80E and a 14 bolt in your upgrade list(unless your SSS is RWD, and you already have the 14B). Sounds like a fun project!
Old 02-09-2012, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

turbo is a great way to make tons of power. Stock cube 6.0 with a turbo running 10's is def on borrowed time. Mid to high 11's is realistic with a stock cube 6.0 and about 10 psi and still remain semi reliable. Turning up the boost is working the motor harder........ more parts fail.

A 370 with some head studs, rods and pistions, and a matched boost cam will net you great results, It just depends on your budget. If money isn't the option, I am sure you would have no problem picking out an awesome combo.

So as said many times before,
Pick two:
Fast
Cheap
Reliable

Old 02-09-2012, 04:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

For sure!!! One side of me wants to build a 408 and throw my radix back on. Should run easy 11's with that setup and I need the motor anyways..... I really hate the performance loss I see with this combo from summer to winter......Not sure if turbos/intercooler experience that much of a loss?

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
It's going to take alot of power to get that heavy SSS down the track in the 10's. Large cubes and a turbo are your best bet for sure. Don't forget and 80E and a 14 bolt in your upgrade list(unless your SSS is RWD, and you already have the 14B). Sounds like a fun project!

"So as said many times before,
Pick two:
Fast
Cheap
Reliable"

LMAO!!!! So true, so True!!! I'm soooo all over the page on this debate that I'm literally just going along waiting for something to happen. I figure when the engine ***** itself, I will be forced to do something with it. At that point maybe a nice used 6.0 will fall out of the sky for 300 bucks. If not, I'll probably end up doing a LSX 427...lol!!! Wish I had that money tree.... Guess it gives us something to bs about and me something to think about in my spare time....Maybe, I'll just flip a quarter - lol

Originally Posted by lownslo
turbo is a great way to make tons of power. Stock cube 6.0 with a turbo running 10's is def on borrowed time. Mid to high 11's is realistic with a stock cube 6.0 and about 10 psi and still remain semi reliable. Turning up the boost is working the motor harder........ more parts fail.

A 370 with some head studs, rods and pistions, and a matched boost cam will net you great results, It just depends on your budget. If money isn't the option, I am sure you would have no problem picking out an awesome combo.

So as said many times before,
Pick two:
Fast
Cheap
Reliable

Old 02-09-2012, 05:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by slowfive0
One side of me wants to build a 408 and throw my radix back on.
That thing would melt polar ice caps
Old 02-09-2012, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

I have the same truck as you, it is on a bone stock lq9 and with just under 10lbs it has trapped 112mph. I think with forged pistons, good rods and hardware your truck could run close to the times you want. I want the same out of my truck as you, as I still use it to haul my boat. I am making a few changes and hoping to get into the 11s consistently this year.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

My ext cab ls6 cam 6.0 on kb 70mm front mount kit with 10psi went 11.93@ 114, conservative tune so i could daily drive it.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much does your truck weigh. I went the time in sig at 4600 lbs race weight, which includes me in the truck. Timing was only at 12 degrees. 3-4 more lbs of boost and some more timing would get you where you want to be. Do a forged 6.0 or 370 and a turbo and it will get you there. I work out of the truck daily. Current motor has over 100k on it. I run the boost at 7.5 psi daily.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

5650 with me in it. That must be a blast to drive daily! Nice job
I was thinking a 408 with an 88mm turbo or a couple of smaller twins & about 15 psi of boost driven daily

Originally Posted by quicksilverado
How much does your truck weigh. I went the time in sig at 4600 lbs race weight, which includes me in the truck. Timing was only at 12 degrees. 3-4 more lbs of boost and some more timing would get you where you want to be. Do a forged 6.0 or 370 and a turbo and it will get you there. I work out of the truck daily. Current motor has over 100k on it. I run the boost at 7.5 psi daily.

Nice. Is that in the cool air or summer? What was your 60 foot on that pass?

Originally Posted by lownslo
My ext cab ls6 cam 6.0 on kb 70mm front mount kit with 10psi went 11.93@ 114, conservative tune so i could daily drive it.

My irresponsible side wants to have it running 10's and driving it daily. My realistic side says build it to run 11.50's in the heat. Much more doable and should be semi-reliable. I have a race car, yet I keep wanting to screw with this truck.........All my buddies bust my stones about it and they are right in a sense. The thing is, I drive this so much that even though it's slow, it is a ton of fun throughout the year, rather then once or twice a month in the summer

Originally Posted by black6spdz
I have the same truck as you, it is on a bone stock lq9 and with just under 10lbs it has trapped 112mph. I think with forged pistons, good rods and hardware your truck could run close to the times you want. I want the same out of my truck as you, as I still use it to haul my boat. I am making a few changes and hoping to get into the 11s consistently this year.

LMAO!!!! No doubt! Could probably cook lunch on mine after a few passes.....

Originally Posted by Alpinestar
That thing would melt polar ice caps
Old 02-09-2012, 08:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Street tune run was on a 90 degree day. The faster run was in the low 60s.

Quick Reply: Here goes another which FI/Eng combo debate....