FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Hard starting with radix 112! any ideas what is causing this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trever1t
in my case I'm cranking and the engine acts like it's starved for fuel. It will light but not completely catch...sputter and die. The second key on and it starts normally. It's been doing this for over a year and not ambient temp related.
Identical to trever1t's problem! sounds like the engine is starved for fuel and dies and on the second crank the engine starts normally!
ALONG WITH THE ENGINE SOUNDING STARVED FOR FUEL THE SUPERCHARGER KNOCKS, if the engine fires and idles normal the knock instantaneously goes away. its just the first few seconds of the crank that it sounds like the rotors in the supercharger is going to come out of the case!
Is this any help?
Old 11-08-2009, 09:28 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 separate issues, I'm sure. The SC knock is somewhat common, what is your cold idle rpm?

As far as the starting issue, I have tried a few things but to no avail, I don't recall when this started occurring but it wasn't after any retune....matter of fact I completely retuned and the problem has remained consistant. I'm thinking it's more of a mechanical (fuel pump?) issue but I don't see any issue with pressure.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:27 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To me, both trucks sound like they have fuel delivery problems. To both guys, are these problems consistent(when cold, like parked overnight), or random? To both guys, when you crank to start, but it doesn't, does tipping the throttle help? Have you had scanning equipment connected during the hard-start/non-start? I've seen a couple of trucks with intermittently failing TPS sensors, reading 5-15% throttle angle when throttle is closed.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:29 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

it's consistent, cold start only, after parked for the night or 8 hours at work, warm day or cold.
I haven't tried giving it gas with the peddle, I'll try!
I scanned but didin't see much, I need to do it again and have a more experienced tuner look at my scan (planned)

thank you , that gives me a couple of ideas. I do have a 90mm throttle body...hmm.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Launching!

Sounds like your fuel pressure is bleeding off after engine off.Alot of trucks experience this as anti flow back valve sticks.Try turning on key for 2 seconds before engaging starter,giving fuel pump time to prime.Usually it will fire right up if this is your problem.You can test this with fuel pressure gauge hooked to shcrader valve on fuel rail.Turn of engine and see if fuel pressure bleeds off.The only real fix to this is a new fuel pump.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:33 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

p4ressure does bleed off as confirmed by my gauge with key off but allowing the pump to reach pressure before cranking does nothing to help.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by trever1t
it's consistent, cold start only, after parked for the night or 8 hours at work, warm day or cold.
I haven't tried giving it gas with the peddle, I'll try!
I scanned but didin't see much, I need to do it again and have a more experienced tuner look at my scan (planned)

thank you , that gives me a couple of ideas. I do have a 90mm throttle body...hmm.
consistent here also, after truck sits for 6 hours or more it will give me the hard start! ive tried the peddle and no luck, i have even keyed the ignition on to prime the fuel pump then keyed it off then keyed it on to "double prime the fuel system" and STILL have the hard start!
So the supercharger knock is common? It just seems that the hard start is makeing the SC knock or vise versa the supercharger knock is making the hard start for the truck!
Old 11-10-2009, 12:53 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

supenia4 - has the temperature dropped recently where you are? I think both the hard starts and knock ARE related. Sounds like the initial starting parameters are off in cold weather. It takes a couple of seconds for idle to adjust, which causes that stumble on initial start. That stumble (lope) is the cause for the rotor knock.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BigTex
supenia4 - has the temperature dropped recently where you are? I think both the hard starts and knock ARE related. Sounds like the initial starting parameters are off in cold weather. It takes a couple of seconds for idle to adjust, which causes that stumble on initial start. That stumble (lope) is the cause for the rotor knock.
Well yes BigTex but that doesnt explain why it started doing this in august when is was still 75-80 degrees that day all day. Drove my truck to the carshow around 630am and parked it and then started it at 6pm and it did the hard start and (lope)! so i dont think this is temperature related, although like you once idle adjusts or fuel is delivered to the engine the idle is fine and absolutely no rotor knock. the rotor knock only happens during that first few seconds of the initial start up!
Old 11-11-2009, 11:56 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

supenia4, do you have tuning software?

Quick Reply: Hard starting with radix 112! any ideas what is causing this?