FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

going turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 10:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default going turbo

Sorry to be asking questions that could probably be searched but i can not use the search function it disappears when my keyboard pops up. So i am definitely buying a turbo kit but have some question and realistically need lots of help.
I'll start with the kits i am interested in Trick and on3 obviously on3's kit is about $2000 less so it makes it very tempting but why is it so much cheaper? Even if you buy a good turbo to replace the Chinese one your still ahead of the game and i think triks basic kit comes with a chinese turbo as well anyway. When i asked trick they said it comes with there standard house turbo usually means cheap. Before i ask anything else what are the differences in kits? I don't mind spending more for quality but has to be justified. Thanks for helping
Old 01-08-2016, 10:38 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 374 Likes on 255 Posts

The on3 kit from what I have seen is not as refined of an installation and requires some creativity on your end. The metal/welds also appear to be of lower quality and may result in cracking and failure. The wastegate effectiveness is also questionable. Its probably a fine kit for a 400ish kit with a small turbo, but I wouldn't trust it for anything over 500hp for any significant length of time.

The on3 turbos seem to be hit or miss. Some guys have good luck with them others have failures almost immediately. Pretty sure trick can get you whatever turbo you want and his base kit is a master power or turbonetics which have been around for a long time and are fine for what they are.

I would also give Kyle (kbracing96) a look if you are interested in a full kit. Both him and Trick are sponsors on the site and both make a good kit.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the fast response. I will eliminate on3. I had not heard of kb racing i will check into it thanks.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:01 AM
TECH Resident

Should have mentioned my truck is a 2009 1500 5.3 with 6speed.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

If I go with a kit from Kyle or Rick what else will i need to install the kit besides a tune? Gauges, fuel pump, injectors, stuff like that . Anything you can think of. I like to have everything needed before i start a project. I am looking for about a 100 hp and 100 # torqe hopfly i can keep most things stock. I also have a small GM performance cam installed. I basically would like as much power as i can safely with a stock transmission and of course the ability to go for more power later if wanted.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you dont mind me asking.... if your goals are relatively small... have you looked into maybe a used Maggy or procharger? Much easier to install and less parts to have to worry with. Turbo kits start adding up FAST.. The turbo world on our trucks has come a long way. I turbo'd my truck back in 2009 with an early KB kit and it wasnt as common as it is now...and we were all still learning alot. But being ive had both... my TVS1900 2011 5.3 wasnt as powerful as my T76mm turbo powered 2003 truck but as far as daily driving and maintenence it was much better. I loved the instant power of a Roots and they can make ridiculous power as well. My Denali will be Force fed soon and ill be going TVS2300 over a turbo kit because its my daily and i wanna keep it low boost and reliable.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have a trick turbo cold side kit for sale 800
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...8/#post5335017
Old 01-08-2016, 01:44 PM
TECH Resident

The prices of superchargers is a bit ridiculous for our trucks. I run the eatons on my 3.8 builds but they are inexpensive and plentiful. Superchargers also prevent you from achieveing higher hp gains. My goals are modest now but have every intention of going big in the future. With my 3.8 builds it cost thousands to get to 300+ hp range vs hundreds to hit the 400 + hp range with a turbo. So basically if i could pick up a supercharger kit for $3000 it would be an option but since they are $6000 and i would only use it for a year before buying a new truck it's better to go turbo now. I do love the instant boost I get in my fiero with the 3.8 supercharged v6 but i am going to dump the charger for turbo in it as well. Thanks and if i am mistaken on supercharger kit prices please let me know but i have not found anything less then 6 grand.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crashmymax
The prices of superchargers is a bit ridiculous for our trucks. I run the eatons on my 3.8 builds but they are inexpensive and plentiful. Superchargers also prevent you from achieveing higher hp gains. My goals are modest now but have every intention of going big in the future. With my 3.8 builds it cost thousands to get to 300+ hp range vs hundreds to hit the 400 + hp range with a turbo. So basically if i could pick up a supercharger kit for $3000 it would be an option but since they are $6000 and i would only use it for a year before buying a new truck it's better to go turbo now. I do love the instant boost I get in my fiero with the 3.8 supercharged v6 but i am going to dump the charger for turbo in it as well. Thanks and if i am mistaken on supercharger kit prices please let me know but i have not found anything less then 6 grand.
Thats why i mentioned buying it used... i bought my TVS1900 for 3200.00 and ive seen them for less than 4k on here several times.. and you will be at 4k plus on a turbo kit if done right. And you are correct with the "higher hp goals" but i assumed you was looking for something in the 450-500rwhp range. My TVS1900 truck made 489rwhp... my 76mm made 603rwhp....and both relatively low boost (less than 12psi). Unless im shooting for 600 plus rwhp i just usually dont go turbo on any of my builds... and in a CCSB like i have now i want a lot of torque to get it moving.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

check out my Trick tips for install thread. That should cover everything you need. I also have a Trick Install Thread with steps and pics.

Quick Reply: going turbo