FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

gates tensioner help!!! help needed

Old 01-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gates tensioner help!!! help needed

so tomorrow is track day, and today my tensioner started squealing like an old a$$ belt. i went out and got the gates 38131 like the search button said. now, it is just a direct swap or do i have to change the pulley/belt??
Old 01-04-2012, 11:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here ya go man, I found this earlier when looking for the same info. Hope this helps:

Originally Posted by therock
I replaced my Radix supplied tensioner with a Gates unit and its plastic pulley with a grooved steel wheel. I also replaced the plastic idler with a steel smoothie.
I'm sure the supplied equipment is fine but I have my own ideas. I posted here looking for numbers with no success so I decided to put them up.
The Gates tensioner is known for the better coil spring design and more tension.
Steel pulleys sink heat out of the bearings better than plastic and are less prone to hold dirt or break.

Below are the Gates p/n's my notes and a pic.

Gates 38131 Belt Tensioner Assembly. - Comes with a plastic smooth pulley. I removed it to make way for the steel grooved wheel. The radix supplied tensioner mounting bolt works fine. Removing the plastic sleeve from the locating pin is required. When removing the plastic pulley brace the tensioner carefully because the bolt is tough to break loose. $39.79

Gates 36100 Belt Tensioner Pulley. - Steel 75mm 6 Rib steel with 17mm bearing bore. $23.06

Gates 38042 Idler Pulley. Steel 90mm Smooth/Backside, 17mm Bearing Bore with 10mm adapter (not used, the radix standoff replaces it). $16.64 - This took some adjustment on mine. Maybe there are other part numbers that will not need the adjustment, or yours will align better, I dunno.
The Radix pulley spacer or mounting standoff had the pulley too far outward allowing some belt to be off of the pulley's backside (about 3mm). Being a machinist I took 5/32 or 4mm off the Radix bushing/standoff for a perfect alignment.

The pic. Not pretty and not meant to be. Anyone want to trade a black 3.4 for the blue one? I'll take a Radix steel or any black aluminum ..... got the blue by mistake.