FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Forced Guys What Are Your Iat's

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 08:31 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The air temps all depend on boost, outside temp, IC, and flow.... IF there is a ton of restictions then the temps go up... Now I do not know the self ignite point of gasoline but 275 should be getting damm close, that engine should have had all kinds of detenation going on..
Ricky
Old 08-30-2005, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jamesbond2509
Where can I get this intercooler? My IAT's can get as high as 199.

Please advise.

http://www.trtturbo.com/
Old 09-03-2005, 10:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NXRICKY
TNow I do not know the self ignite point of gasoline but 275 should be getting damm close, that engine should have had all kinds of detenation going on..
Ricky
The engine definately wasn't happy about it that's for sure! Luckily I was running a fuel rail cooling system so the fuel that was injected was cool - along with all the timing taken out of it. Even with those two things, if it weren't for the C-16 in the tank, the engine would have sounded like a popcorn maker! Now with the intercooler and fuel rail cooling it's all good.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by camcojb
I'm thinking some of these guys are posting IAT's from before the blower, not after. I've never seen one stay around 100 degrees on the boost side if the ambient temps are 100 also. If it's 100 degrees outside and the truck is fully warmed and heat soaked I'll see 150-160 degrees on the IAT's after the blower by the end of the run.

Jody
I agree...no way
Old 09-05-2005, 07:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by white lightning SS
before the meth I had 145-160 wot on 94 degree 80% humidity after meth never higher than 110
where did you get your kit, and do you have pics or a write up on your install.
I'm looking for a good reliable kit to use w/ my Radix.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by duner
With my A/C chilled (40° - 45°) air/water intercooler system I see 70° to 80° IATs on a full pass at 12 psi of boost. The IATs have gone as high as 90° on a 100°+ day but with 15 psi of boost. (Still less than ambient)

More info please! Pics etc. Are you using the truck's AC system?

I'm thinking some of these guys are posting IAT's from before the blower, not after. I've never seen one stay around 100 degrees on the boost side if the ambient temps are 100 also. If it's 100 degrees outside and the truck is fully warmed and heat soaked I'll see 150-160 degrees on the IAT's after the blower by the end of the run.
I agree, air to air IC's aren't 100% efficient or any where close to that. From what some of these guys are describing it sounds like thier in the 90+% range. I'd like to know what IC that is! It might be possible but the pressure drop across the IC would be terrible.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
More info please! Pics etc. Are you using the truck's AC system?
Yes, I use the truck's AC system to cool the water for the intercooler system. The lines from the intercooler are plumbed directly to the factory heater core. When my heater controls are in the "hot" position, the A/C chilled air (40° - 45° air) blows directly thru the heater core. Instead of using engine heated water to heat the air, we're using A/C cooled air to chill the water. I leave the pump on continuously so I'm making COLD water the entire time I'm driving it. I live in AZ so I run my A/C system year around.

My system uses an insulated 2.5 gallon water tank. I fabricated the tank from 1/8" aluminum - to fit nicely above my rear crossmember and under the bottom of the cab. Other than the two 3/4" hose nipples on the tank - there is no access (or need for any). I use a SHURflo 2.8 gallon per minute water pump. My pump is mounted on top of my transmission crossmember, so it also fits under the cab.

I fabricated the intercooler to work with this chilled water system. It's basically 12 rows of finned tubing that's been boxed to make the charge air run over/thru it. On either side is a very basic "box" that water is plumbed to and from. In this system the inlet side"box" pressurizes all 12 tubes equally, so each tube is filled with water that's only allowed a single pass thru the tubes before it's chilled again. The box on the other side collects the used water.

Another use for this chilled water is cooling my fuel rails. The chilled fuel allows me to run extra timing even while in boost and also balances the fuel temperatures between cylinders/injectors. I tested the chilled fuel rail system before going to the turbo system and it made an astonishing 14 rwhp and 24 rwtq difference even then! Now it's even more critical. My guess would be that the additional cooling of the fuel and the allowed additional timing would be in the 40 to 50 rwhp range.

The intercooler fluid route is: 2.5 gallon tank to water pump to heater core to air/water intercooler to the fuel rails and back to tank. With the additional radiator in the ice chest - I can chill the entire system down to about 40° in about 5 minutes worth of circulating. Since the tank is insulated, it stays nice and cold while I wait for my turn in the staging lanes. Since the system can be cooled down so quickly it makes it perfect for those rare instances when I manage to go rounds while bracket racing.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Jody
I have to agree with the STS turbo, OBX type guys here. I have an OBX 3" FMIC, just like F8L's and my IT's are right in line with his and I know they are AFTER the intercooler, because the intake is under the truck and the massair/ITA sensor is after the intercooler and about 12" in front of the TB. It gets hotter sitting in traffic, then it does boosting. On a 95+* day I will see 120-125* sitting in traffic, and 100-105* driving down the road. I can make a run, 0-110 mph, and it will go from 103 to about 110-116 max and this is running 10lbs of boost. I also have no meth injection at this time, but planing it it, not for cooling, but for knock reduction, octane on demand kind of thing. That's why I can't understand how you intercooled supercharged guys get these incredably high IT temps. I have a ScanGauge tool and I moniter my temps all the time. I hope that help.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:50 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by duner
Yes, I use the truck's AC system to cool the water for the intercooler system. The lines from the intercooler are plumbed directly to the factory heater core. When my heater controls are in the "hot" position, the A/C chilled air (40° - 45° air) blows directly thru the heater core. Instead of using engine heated water to heat the air, we're using A/C cooled air to chill the water. I leave the pump on continuously so I'm making COLD water the entire time I'm driving it. I live in AZ so I run my A/C system year around.

My system uses an insulated 2.5 gallon water tank. I fabricated the tank from 1/8" aluminum - to fit nicely above my rear crossmember and under the bottom of the cab. Other than the two 3/4" hose nipples on the tank - there is no access (or need for any). I use a SHURflo 2.8 gallon per minute water pump. My pump is mounted on top of my transmission crossmember, so it also fits under the cab.

I fabricated the intercooler to work with this chilled water system. It's basically 12 rows of finned tubing that's been boxed to make the charge air run over/thru it. On either side is a very basic "box" that water is plumbed to and from. In this system the inlet side"box" pressurizes all 12 tubes equally, so each tube is filled with water that's only allowed a single pass thru the tubes before it's chilled again. The box on the other side collects the used water.

Another use for this chilled water is cooling my fuel rails. The chilled fuel allows me to run extra timing even while in boost and also balances the fuel temperatures between cylinders/injectors. I tested the chilled fuel rail system before going to the turbo system and it made an astonishing 14 rwhp and 24 rwtq difference even then! Now it's even more critical. My guess would be that the additional cooling of the fuel and the allowed additional timing would be in the 40 to 50 rwhp range.

The intercooler fluid route is: 2.5 gallon tank to water pump to heater core to air/water intercooler to the fuel rails and back to tank. With the additional radiator in the ice chest - I can chill the entire system down to about 40° in about 5 minutes worth of circulating. Since the tank is insulated, it stays nice and cold while I wait for my turn in the staging lanes. Since the system can be cooled down so quickly it makes it perfect for those rare instances when I manage to go rounds while bracket racing.
Crude But Effective Racing! I love it! How are you chilling the rails? does your box wrap around them or something. Fanatstic work man...seems you definitely put thought and hard work into it!
Old 09-06-2005, 04:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Dude, that setup kicks *** man! Good job! What kind of truck is that BTW? I know on NBS trucks the AC clutch disengauges under WOT, does yours?

Next time I go to phoenix I want to see this thing.

I'd like to know how you cool the rails too? Also does this make the AC blow hotter in the cab? What are the coldest IAT's you've see, and with how much boost?

Quick Reply: Forced Guys What Are Your Iat's