FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

engine missfire with sts

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 07:47 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the only reason to keep the 5.3 at this point would be a little better mileage(ok maybe quite a bit better). there is a signifiacant power advantage with a 6.0.

the reason you blew the thing up is the tune. probably went lean but it could have been too much timing or maybe too much boost for the fuel you have. your number one concern should be geting the tune right no matter what you do with the motor. a good load bearing dyno tune or tune on the street would be best. are there any speed shops in your area that can set you up with some tuning?

when people go into a motor to rebuild or build it costs seem to spiral out of control prety fast. thats why i like the stock idea with special attention to the tune. maybe you should look for a stock 5.3 to put in there. i would think you could find one of those for under $1000.

if you want to build a motor better than stock rods and pistons and head studs would be the first things to consider but like i said things get expensive fast once you start messing with that stuff. even with that stuff if you mess up the tune you can and will mess up your motor, it just wont happen as quickly.

the valve spring didn't cause your motor to blow up. if you keep it under 10psi you dont even really need the springs.

how much boost were you running? what fuel system and injectors?
Old 12-02-2005, 07:53 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Parish has it right. Your cheapest option is to find a used 6.0L longblock and call it good. He also has it right that the kit didn't blow your motor, your tune or lack of blew the motor or just simple abuse.

I am not sure of the Socal area but if you have to have the moptor built and you want the thing tuned right it's worth a trip to the Bay Area to have Synergy Motorsports tune it for you. He knows the STS kits inside out and has a great dyno for tuning. Just dont expect everything to be cheap. I've found that the people who try to be the cheapest are the ones who spend the most in the long run because of broken parts.

I did a built 5.3L but just to be different. If you're on a budget find a used 6.0L. You'll thank yourself later.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

my only concern is if parish really has any experience with turbos?
Old 12-02-2005, 08:29 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BeefTip
my only concern is if parish really has any experience with turbos?
Yea, He's probably making this up as he goes along!
Seriously, I didn't even consider a 5.3 rebuild after I blew #7. Parts would have been a little cheaper than the 6L block but the labor would have been the same. Plus, the extra $1000 or so I spent on the 6L is easily a $1000+++ you will spend trying to get to the power level of a 6L with the 5.3. And if you say "Well, I have an STS kit to put on the 5.3" Imagine what it will produce on the 6L.....Throw the 5.3 in a corner and get a 6L. That is all, carry on.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:46 PM
Banned

so throw in a stock 6.0 and thats it no mods just a tune? the truck was running 91 octain on the 5.3 and stock injectors. how much can i get a 6.0 for? can i just build the stock motor back up to stock and a tune, or just throw in a stock 6.0 with no mods?
Old 12-02-2005, 10:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Dont listen to Parish. Listen to me. Get a 4.8 liter
Old 12-02-2005, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by ogkevin13
so throw in a stock 6.0 and thats it no mods just a tune? the truck was running 91 octain on the 5.3 and stock injectors. how much can i get a 6.0 for? can i just build the stock motor back up to stock and a tune, or just throw in a stock 6.0 with no mods?
Well Hell No silly, who wants a stock engine I got my 6L longblock for $1500. Seen them go for much less and much more, depends on mileage and which series motor. The LQ4 is a little cheaper yet better for FI, the LQ9 is a little more and makes about 45 more hp but would be harder to tune with a blower/turbo. Ebay seems to be overpriced on them. Check this board and others. I see them go on here for under $2000 all the time. After you get the 6L if you can afford to add a cam/springs/bigger injectors/ whatever, go for it. But if your budget is limited a stock 6L is gonna feel like a slightly to heavily modded 5.3. Then when you mod the 6L it will be a beast! And when you blow it up, you have the block for the 408 build already!!
Old 12-03-2005, 12:47 AM
Banned

but for now can i just build the 5.3 back up to stock just boost up to 5 psi max. and the tr-6 plugs and a good tune? do you guys think thier will be a problem with that or no? and maybe some valve springs and that should be it for now then save up and see from thier?
Old 12-03-2005, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by ogkevin13
but for now can i just build the 5.3 back up to stock just boost up to 5 psi max. and the tr-6 plugs and a good tune? do you guys think thier will be a problem with that or no? and maybe some valve springs and that should be it for now then save up and see from thier?
Sure you can build the 5.3 back as long as there was no cylinder wall damage. Have you pulled it apart yet? You shouldn't have to do springs either. I'd do a compression test first to make sure it's only 1 cylinder you are replacing. The stock rebuilt 5.3 will take 5psi easy. Mine took 8-9 everyday until the tune got leaned out and it popped a ring land. I'd add up the cost of parts, fluid, shop time, rental car and labor and see how close you are to the 6L price before I rebuilt the 5.3. Remember it always costs more than you think.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:22 AM
12 Second Truck Club

No matter what motor you decide on, you're going to need bigger injectors and a fuel pump or at leats a pusher type pump. Did the shop that sol dyou thins kit tell you what you needed to make it run right? Sorry, not slamming you. Just seems like you had all the makings for a blown motor

Quick Reply: engine missfire with sts