FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Does running twin supercharger's make sense?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 04:09 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Does running twin supercharger's make sense?

I haven't been this industry as long as some of the members on here and this was a first time seeing this set-up and am curious to learn more about it.
Was at SEMA this week and saw an awesome mustang that had a Twin Procharger set-up. Never considered such a set-up and was wondering what pro's and con's there might be to this type of set-up.
First thing that came to mind when I saw it was unique, and the second one that came to mine was, that's alot of blower friction to overcome compared to a single set-up with smaller pulley's and drives or a twin turbo set-up of similar proportions.
Just wondering what people's opinions are and how they think this would work. Car was unbelievable!! I'm gonna try to upload some pics of it but photobucket was down when I posted this thread.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:10 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Only picture I can download of it but I have other ones. Will try again tomorrow.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:12 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

maybe using 2 small blowers cause one large one did not fit, not sure. I have pics of twin root type blowers before, again mainly for pics.
It should work just fine, not the most efficent but hey bet it look cool.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On a race only setup it wouldn't be too bad. Twin Rotrex's like the car in the picture or the one's on the Nova from W2W do make good numbers for sure.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well... I almost agree w/ Trick in that it could be a real-estate issue and couldn't fit a single blower large enough for the engine, but looking at that configuration I doubt it...

It looks like they were just interested in the bling. I doubt those intercoolers are very effective since they're sitting right over the engine with no real source of airflow to cool them off. There are some honkin' centrifugal blowers that would most likely be able to flow as much as those two (They look like Rotrex's, any idea what size they were?).

A good friend of mine (Mike Sitar) built a TurboCoupe with twin Eaton M90s... The reason he did that is because no one builds a 3-liter roots that is as efficient as the M90. Using two smaller units you can get the airflow you need in the efficiency range you want. Some of the bigger units aren't as efficient as the smaller ones due to the increased mass, leak paths, etc.

Either way, it's pretty cool looking. Definitely not the most performance minded configuration, but probably gets alot of attention when the hood is popped and that is probably the effect they want.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some companies will do that when you want to use your product, but it's not big enough. Here's that setup.

http://www.w2wpowertrain.com/pc-96-9...drive-kit.aspx
Old 11-02-2007, 08:32 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have to agree that the location and orientation of those air to air intercoolers appears to make them pretty useless. Even with the cutout hood. I'd say this is more of a show piece. A display of bling/WOW rather than a display of good engineering.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nelson Racing Engines has a twin Avalanche, with a viper 6 speed.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Its pretty common in the marine industry. Many of the high performance boats have twin supercharged big block engines. Whipple does a bunch of twin setups. Probably not what you were looking for, but still pretty damn cool.

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1179

I know the link isn't a sponsor, but I thought I'd throw it up anyways for entertainment purposes.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

I agree that it is common in the marine engines. Teague Custom Marine (Teague Racing) builds twin supercharged big blocks and small blocks that put out more than 1000HP

Quick Reply: Does running twin supercharger's make sense?