FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

DIY Remote Turbo Cont: Oil Return

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 09:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Remote Turbo Cont: Oil Return

Ok so I have the turbo/charge pipe and oil supply all figured out, now for the Oil return. What pump/flow would you recommend and how do i prevent oil from blowing out? which from what I have read sounds like a common problem with the sts kit?

Thanks
Old 08-18-2006, 06:04 PM
Launching!

up

I understand i need some kind of check valve on the vac lines? can anyone explain this further?
thanks
Old 08-19-2006, 09:04 PM
Launching!

this is what i have found for inline oil pumps:
Shurflo 8000 series oil pump, although not sure how it will handle the high temps but i have read some threads on other sites where people have used them

or

http://westech.home.mindspring.com/propages/scvpump.htm

what do you think?
Old 08-19-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Ok, I'll give you some help here, since no one elese will

The Surflow is the cheapest option, and many people have used it without problems. One guy I know has put 10-15000 miles on one w/out problem. Or you could use one of these http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/mocal1.htm.

As for the check valve, you would need a 1/8 NPT brass check valve you can get from McMastercar.com. It needs to be on the inlet of the turbo oiling pluming so oil doesn't run into the turbo after you shut the motor off.

For the pcv, you can probably use the same kind of check valve only with some hose nipples on it to connect it in-line on the hose going from the Valve cover to the throttle body. Hope that helps.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:19 AM
Launching!

thanks a lot definately helps, on the PCV check valve do I need to rig it somehow so that while there is boost the pcv vents to atmosphere? Ive seen some complex looking setups using catch cans and such or will the single check valve on the hose between the valve cover and the throttle body be sufficient?
Old 08-21-2006, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Cool

As KB says definately get the check valve for the oiling system. It goes in-line before the feed into the turbo center housing. The flow direction should be marked on the outside of the valve. If you don't do this oil will flow into the turbo housing when you are parked and come out by the ends of the shaft that the wheels ride on. I found this out the hard way when mine failed. I found a small pool of oil on the garage floor every morning and in both the exhaust and intake tubing.

The PCV system is always a problem. The easiest way is to just completely disconnect it by putting a small filter on the driver's side valve cover and one on the passenger side oil fill tube. Then remove the PCV tubing and plug the nipples on the intake manifold and the passenger side valve cover. this will work unless you need to pass a visual inspection or your engine developes some blow-by as it ages. If you have some blow-by it will force some oil out of the engine as it vents through the filters and create a fire hazzard. Then a system of catch cans will be required to contain the oil discharged from the engine. If you are using the oil fill tube for your oil return from the turbo then put the filter on the passenger side on the hose that comes from the valve cover and hold it in an upright position with some wire ties.

I prefer to leave the stock system connected. If you do this it will become a source of boost pressure into the crancase every time the engine is under boost through both sides of the PCV system. On the driver's side you will need to put in a one way valve like you used on the turbo center housing to allow the engine to pull air out of the crankcase when the intake is under vacuum but block air from pressurizing the crankcase when the intake is under boost. On the pre '03 trucks with a working check ball in the PCV valve this may be enough to do the job and you can skip the one way valve. Make sure the PCV valve is working properly and replace it on a regular basis.

On the passenger side you will need to put in a valve that is opened when boost is sensed. It will need to block boost pressure from the TB nipple from entering the crankcase. This vent picks up its source of air from in front of the TB and is subject to boost pressure when the turbo is spooled up but is not subject to vacuum and is the source of metered air into the crankcase when the intake is under vacuum and drawing air from the crankcase through the driver's side PCV valve. So this line needs to be blocked under boost to keep from pressurizing the crankcase. This valve also needs to vent the line from the valve cover to the atmosphere when the engine is under boost to vent any pressure that does build up in the crankcase from blow by and/or seepage of boost pressure into the crankcase. The line needs to operate normally when the engine is operated with intake vacuum which is most of the time.

Pheew, hope you get it. LOL. Long winded or what?
Old 08-21-2006, 05:38 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the help! i am beginning to understand lol. So this is what i have come up with for the PCV system. on the drivers side: one way check valve but before the check valve I use a T connector and put in a 1psi sensor switch, so when the system is under boost, the check valve is closed and the 1psi sensor switch activates---Passenger side: solenoid valve with one input and two outputs, when not under boost the solenoid will be on, lets say output 1 which will be connected through the current setup so the system runs normally. When boost is detected via the pressure switch, the solenoid activates output 2 which is vented to atmosphere with a filter.

does this sound correct?

also what size tubing for the oil supply and return?

Cheers

Last edited by cpelton; 08-21-2006 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

Cool

On the driver's side all you need is a manual one-way valve. Set it in so that the intake nipple can suck through the valve but not blow through it.

On the passenger side set your pressure switch (set at 1 psi) inline (T) with the line going to the TB and between the solenoid valve and the TB. When the engine is running under vacuum the solenoid should allow metered air to flow into the engine as stock. When boost is sensed the solenoid should switch to block the flow from the TB to the valve cover and at the same time allow the line from the valve cover to vent to the atmosphere through a small filter.

So yes I think you have it.

The return oil tubing on my STS is 1/2" ID or close to it. It measures 5/8" OD. It is designed for high volume flow and low pressure.

Old 08-23-2006, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Here is another way to do the pcv system. On alot of the trucks they are useing a fixed orfice pcv valve. This is no good, you need to switch to a acdelco cv774c pcv in the driver side cover and then us a k&n in the passengerside cover. With this setup you can keep an eye on the pcv valve by the boost gauge. When the valve starts to fail you will see about a 2psi drop in boost and/or the oil stick might pop out if it is not a tight seal. This is how the paxtons have worked on the mustangsfor years and other charger setups.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:23 PM
Launching!

that sounds simple enough, i'll give that a try thanks!
should have this project completed by next week I'll let you know how it turns out and the cost of all the parts

Quick Reply: DIY Remote Turbo Cont: Oil Return