FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Coolant Tank Problem on Turbo Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 09:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 150 Posts

I had the in line fill cap because I was trying to eliminate the coolant tank, I put the tank back because I think it was causing other problems.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 150 Posts

Oh, yeah, to add to my confusion, my coolant tank fill cap was bad, too.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:24 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mercier
So steam setup does run into the rad or overflow? Perhaps your cap is bad or otherwise not sealing. If it is letting coolant out before the appropriate pressure, that could be your extra loss via overflow.

Edit: that overflow is real close to the exhaust. Even though it is wrapped, you could just be boiling the overflow out. Perhaps move away or shield it?
Steam setup runs into the radiator. I tested the coolant tank cap and it's operating correctly at 17psi.

I will shield the tank and see if that helps!
Old 02-28-2018, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gdbutcher

Steam setup runs into the radiator. I tested the coolant tank cap and it's operating correctly at 17psi.

I will shield the tank and see if that helps!
Radiator cap is what I was referring to, unless that's what you're calling the coolant tank? Honestly they are so cheap I usually just buy a new one any time I start troubleshooting a weird problem. Good to have spare(s) anyway right?

Per the other poster above, I have always done my first fill THROUGH the top radiator hose, even without inline fill. I would remove the hose form the radiator, hold it FAR higher than the highest point on the engine and fill all the coolant that way. Then very quickly attach to rad and go from there.

Another possibility: only pushing pressure into cooling system under boost. Have you tried just idling the thing and running the A/C, basically getting it as hot as possible without getting into boost? Same behavior?

Good luck!
Old 02-28-2018, 03:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
I had the in line fill cap because I was trying to eliminate the coolant tank, I put the tank back because I think it was causing other problems.
What tank are you using?
Old 02-28-2018, 03:45 PM
Teching In

Radiator cap is what I was referring to, unless that's what you're calling the coolant tank? Honestly they are so cheap I usually just buy a new one any time I start troubleshooting a weird problem. Good to have spare(s) anyway right?

Per the other poster above, I have always done my first fill THROUGH the top radiator hose, even without inline fill. I would remove the hose form the radiator, hold it FAR higher than the highest point on the engine and fill all the coolant that way. Then very quickly attach to rad and go from there.

Another possibility: only pushing pressure into cooling system under boost. Have you tried just idling the thing and running the A/C, basically getting it as hot as possible without getting into boost? Same behavior?

Good luck!
Radiator doesn't have a cap. The only cap I have on my cooling system is on the coolant tank.

It will come out the overflow even when I'm not in the boost.

It happens really bad after I shut the truck off. I feel like the tank is not big enough to hold all the coolant that comes into it.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:48 PM
Teching In

Is there anyone on here that is running an Aveo coolant tank and if they had this problem? The only reason why I got one is from people on here are running them.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gdbutcher

Radiator doesn't have a cap. The only cap I have on my cooling system is on the coolant tank.

It will come out the overflow even when I'm not in the boost.

It happens really bad after I shut the truck off. I feel like the tank is not big enough to hold all the coolant that comes into it.
I thought that tank looked small but figured it might just be the angle. With all that room in the truck, I decided to re-route my stocker and it seems to work fine. Could be as simple as capacity.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:41 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 374 Likes on 255 Posts

Wow you guys really struggle with this. On all my coolant tanks ive had or the custom ones I make you just fill to 3" below the top and go. Never had a burping issue or anything else for that matter. If I overfill it will puke out the excess the first time it gets hot, but never gets low enough to not keep the pump primed, unless you blow a headgasket of course.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:51 PM
Teching In

I thought that tank looked small but figured it might just be the angle. With all that room in the truck, I decided to re-route my stocker and it seems to work fine. Could be as simple as capacity.
I think that's my problem is not enough capacity. I would really like to hear from someone that used or using the Aveo tank and if they ran into this problem. I seen on here some other tanks that I would like to try. Looks like the C5 corvette tank or that mustang tank that foose04 is running.

Ill get back to you guys if this fixes my problem. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Coolant Tank Problem on Turbo Silverado